Could the new S550 outperform Chevys new C7 for nearly half the cost?

khell

Established Member
2013 Cadillac ATS 3.6 AWD

Engine:3.6L V6 Power:321 HP / 275 LB-FT Transmission:6-Speed Auto Drivetrain:All-Wheel Drive Curb Weight:3,629 LBS

2013 Cadillac ATS 3.6 AWD Review - Autoblog

2013 Cadillac ATS4 3.6 Premium First Test - Motor Trend

Motortrend has the 3.6 AWD ATS coming in at 3682. The current LFX comes in at around 320-330 lbs right? The new LT1 comes in at around 465 lbs. So just with the difference in the engine weight you're looking at 3800ish lbs. I think the Camaro might come in at around 3700+ lbs by switching to the Alpha platform.

Who knows though...

germeezy1

Established Member
2013 Cadillac ATS4 3.6 Premium First Test - Motor Trend

Motortrend has the 3.6 AWD ATS coming in at 3682. The current LFX comes in at around 320-330 lbs right? The new LT1 comes in at around 465 lbs. So just with the difference in the engine weight you're looking at 3800ish lbs. I think the Camaro might come in at around 3700+ lbs by switching to the Alpha platform.

Who knows though...

I believe that GM lists a 350-360 lb dry weight for the LFX, and I believe that the LT1 weights 465 lbs fully dressed with fluids. One thing to keep in mind is that the AWD system , and its ancillaries alone weigh over 100 lbs plus the additional weight required for NVH in a luxury car.

khell

Established Member
I believe that GM lists a 350-360 lb dry weight for the LFX, and I believe that the LT1 weights 465 lbs fully dressed with fluids. One thing to keep in mind is that the AWD system , and its ancillaries alone weigh over 100 lbs plus the additional weight required for NVH in a luxury car.

I believe the 465 is dry as well, but I could be wrong.

Next-Gen LT1 6.2-Liter V-8 for 2014 Corvette Revealed with 450 HP, New Tech

I do agree with the heavy AWD and other luxury amenities that will be gone with the camaro, but as stated above the other necessary drivetrain components needed to take all that torque will just add back up as well in my eyes.

Still at 100 lbs less and that great torque curve from the LT1 the new camaro will be a beast.

Tbonez3858

Established Member
But Chevy isn't stuck and they can make every inch of room they want for the Camaro...Chevy has two years to load up the Vette and make room for the Camaro. I'm betting we see another awful looking car but with today's Vette like HP tucked under the hood in 2016...The ATSVS is supposedly killing it on the track and posting 0-60 times in the low 4 second range with a twin turbo V6. Do we think Chevy is going to let an entry level sports four door beat the face of their "common man" sports car? I think not so Ford knows where this is going. There is an engine somewhere in a lab Ford is building..

Ford shouldn't be worried because its almost a 100% guarantee Chevy will make the Camaro hideous (just like the last two revisions). The design leaks they have been giving in the release of the intern models and the transformer movies look awful.

Last edited:

germeezy1

Established Member
But Chevy isn't stuck and they can make every inch of room they want for the Camaro...Chevy has two years to load up the Vette and make room for the Camaro. I'm betting we see another awful looking car but with today's Vette like HP tucked under the hood in 2016...The ATSVS is supposedly killing it on the track and posting 0-60 times in the low 4 second range with a twin turbo V6. Do we think Chevy is going to let an entry level sports four door beat the face of their "common man" sports car? I think not so Ford knows where this is going. There is an engine somewhere in a lab Ford is building..

Ford shouldn't be worried because its almost a 100% guarantee Chevy will make the Camaro hideous (just like the last two revisions). The design leaks they have been giving in the release of the intern models and the transformer movies look awful.

Ford should be, and is worried which is why we have seen more revisions than typical. How many major revisions did the New Edge receive between 99-04?

05-09
13-14

No company justifies that many revisions of a car soon to be replaced if the competition does not exist. This will be the 3rd year in the row that the inferior Camaro outsells the Mustang.

mustangletback

Established Member
Ford should be, and is worried which is why we have seen more revisions than typical. How many major revisions did the New Edge receive between 99-04?

05-09
13-14

No company justifies that many revisions of a car soon to be replaced if the competition does not exist. This will be the 3rd year in the row that the inferior Camaro outsells the Mustang.
yea,the camaro has been outselling the mustang BUT the last 3 months i think the mustang has outsold the camaro.one look at camaro5 in the forums under camaro issues is a good reason to see why.they cant keep them from falling apart.:dancenana::banana:

jymboslice

Rookie
Established Member
Mustang Chief Engineer:

"Horsepower and torque will be a significant improvement over todays 420 hp 5.0"

50 Years of Mustang with Lee Iacocca - Jay Leno's Garage - YouTube

Ya.....they are "only" improving the power band.........

I remember when the 2010's came out. Engineer told me they had a substantial or whatever increase in HP over the previous models..... They ended up having only 15 more hp. They think anything is a substantial improvement. Even the 8hp from the 13-14's over the 11-12's.

americansteel

Banned
I remember when the 2010's came out. Engineer told me they had a substantial or whatever increase in HP over the previous models..... They ended up having only 15 more hp. They think anything is a substantial improvement. Even the 8hp from the 13-14's over the 11-12's.

the 5.0l coyote makes 445HP @6600RPM at the crank. maybe that's what the engineer was talking about and just did not include real world numbers.

jymboslice

Rookie
Established Member
the 5.0l coyote makes 445HP @6600RPM at the crank. maybe that's what the engineer was talking about and just did not include real world numbers.

Uhh no. He was in a 2010 and was talking about the 2010's compared to the 05-09's.

And this was back in 2009 where no one knew wtf a coyote motor was.

americansteel

Banned
Uhh no. He was in a 2010 and was talking about the 2010's compared to the 05-09's.

And this was back in 2009 where no one knew wtf a coyote motor was.
uh i know what he was talking about. 05-09 and 10 had the same 3v 4.6 turd 10 being a factory tuned pcm upgrade. btw ford released information 2 months prior 11 release about what new V8 they had to offer.

Tbonez3858

Established Member
Ford can't compete with that car. Never have.

Ford can't compete because they currently don't produce a car in the same class. I have a funny feeling that has to do the financials. Do you make a car that losses money so you can claim you are king? There is a reason that the government wasn't a major stockholder of Ford...

darreng505

Established Member
Ford can't compete because they currently don't produce a car in the same class. I have a funny feeling that has to do the financials. Do you make a car that losses money so you can claim you are king? There is a reason that the government wasn't a major stockholder of Ford...

There are plenty of cars in the corvette "class". Its not like chevy have a monopoly. Every car Ford makes has competition. Not all their cars are "best in class" but are still profitable. There is no real reason Ford can't or shouldn't make a corvette class car.

And the reason the govt didn't invest in Ford is because Ford didn't need "the peoples money". And I applaud them for that.

trolls56

Established Member

HAHAHAHA did you really just make it sound like it was a bad thing Ford was only one of the big three that didn't take a buy out???????????? The only one of them that could stand on their own feet. Ford is only one of them that shouldn't be bankrupt right now. Without the government buyouts who knows what would have happened. Maybe no Chevy and Dodge at all or maybe the two of them merge. Fiat just came in and bought all of Chrysler. I'm not sure what that all means as I have never cared about Chrysler that much. I know they came in and split all they divisions up so not sure if they are all companies on their own now or what. Just makes my laugh when I see that its Ram trucks now not Dodge Ram trucks.

Tbonez3858

Established Member
HAHAHAHA did you really just make it sound like it was a bad thing Ford was only one of the big three that didn't take a buy out???????????? The only one of them that could stand on their own feet. Ford is only one of them that shouldn't be bankrupt right now. Without the government buyouts who knows what would have happened. Maybe no Chevy and Dodge at all or maybe the two of them merge. Fiat just came in and bought all of Chrysler. I'm not sure what that all means as I have never cared about Chrysler that much. I know they came in and split all they divisions up so not sure if they are all companies on their own now or what. Just makes my laugh when I see that its Ram trucks now not Dodge Ram trucks.

ughh no...I won't buy a Chevy again (not a Chevy fan to start). You can't deny the influx of cash that flooded in and the required restructure helped Chevys current tech. Its obvious that Ford is fiscally smarter and hence why they don't build a car to compete with the Corvette. If you review my post I've said over and over again that the Vette is Chevys show piece for their technology and they probably don't make much money off of it. The Mustang V6 makes the mustang a profitable car (or at least from my understanding).

Tbonez3858

Established Member
There are plenty of cars in the corvette "class". Its not like chevy have a monopoly. Every car Ford makes has competition. Not all their cars are "best in class" but are still profitable. There is no real reason Ford can't or shouldn't make a corvette class car.

And the reason the govt didn't invest in Ford is because Ford didn't need "the peoples money". And I applaud them for that.

I agree with everything you said with the exception that there are plenty of cars in Corvettes class. To me class means similar size, make, tech and performance for the dollar. I can't think of any cars that are in its class (55-60k). I can think of plenty of cars that can compete at a 20-30k premium...

germeezy1

Established Member
I agree with everything you said with the exception that there are plenty of cars in Corvettes class. To me class means similar size, make, tech and performance for the dollar. I can't think of any cars that are in its class (55-60k). I can think of plenty of cars that can compete at a 20-30k premium...

The closest car to the Corvette is the 911, and you have to pay quite a bit more option for option for a car that will not perform on the same level. Even a $100k 911 Carrera S will struggle with a base C7 as far as the full performance picture is concerned.

Users who are viewing this thread