Could the new S550 outperform Chevys new C7 for nearly half the cost?

darreng505

Established Member
I agree with everything you said with the exception that there are plenty of cars in Corvettes class. To me class means similar size, make, tech and performance for the dollar. I can't think of any cars that are in its class (55-60k). I can think of plenty of cars that can compete at a 20-30k premium...

Yeah. I guess "class" can be a bit subjective. I see your point. But often you will see motor trend comparing a bunch of cars like the Z06, GTR, M3, 911, Viper, etc. I guess the GT500 gets thrown into that mix at times, but its still a "pony" car to me. The auto industry is very much brand and loyalty driven. Mustang goes head to head with Camaro. Just because Camaro sells more doesn't mean its not "fiscally smart" to make and sell Mustangs. People will buy them. You don't have to be the best to profit in the auto industry. After all, car buying is mostly personal taste. Having said all that, there is no financial dis-incentive for Ford to make a performance model above and beyond the "pony" car. They made the Shelby and Ford GT and now that both are retired, there's a huge price/performance gap in their lineup compared to what Chevy is offering. That's my point. Choice is good and people will buy.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread