Couple of videos on the Tremec DCT for your Friday!

93 347 Cobra

Established Member
Agreed. There's a reason McLaren, Porsche, Ferrari, Bugatti, etc have been using them for their highest horsepower vehicles for quite some time now. Even Ford's new GT gets one. The technology wasn't very good way back when we were all rowing T-5s but it is now and driving manual means seeing taillights.

99BOSS

Established Member
Agreed, this DCT is probably the biggest tipping factor towards me buying a new GT500. I didnt care anything about all the past GT500s while I owned a 04 Cobra. All those GT500s were just a supercharged V8 with another 6sp manual. I knew what that formula was like and wanted something different. Ive driven a couple new Ferraris in the past 2 years and knew instantly my next fun car would have a DCT. So now I get the best of both, Mustang practicality along with a high tech drivetrain. I so wish the Viper had a DCT, that would be awesome!

biminiLX

never stock
Established Member
Premium Member
I bet the Tremec DCT will be an aftermarket option within 2-3yrs!
Will be sweet!
-J

99BOSS

Established Member
This unit could very well find itself as an option in the mustang lineup along with a manual trans. Imagine this DCT in a Mach 1 instead of a 10 sp auto? Or down the road offered in a reg GT instead of a conventional auto. Its more efficient and you dont get convertor slip which could help mileage too. Just a thought

biminiLX

never stock
Established Member
Premium Member
Dual clutch transmission is not an automatic. Hence the name dual clutch.
The debate continues.
I’m glad I can keep my 2014 to join the incoming 2022 but I do feel the DCT still offers the driving connection most of us die hard manual guys love.
But then throw it in comfort auto to take the wife to dinner.
At a certain power/speed level the traditional manual just doesn’t makes sense to go fast.
-J

DSG2003Mach1

Established Member
Premium Member
Very cool stuff, really had no idea how they worked. Having the next gear locked and loaded explains a lot

biminiLX

never stock
Established Member
Premium Member
Very cool stuff, really had no idea how they worked. Having the next gear locked and loaded explains a lot
Yeah it’s super impressive feeling it on track. Just lightning into the next gear with no boost drop. I just got back from driving my 2014 and while I know I can shift a manual car fast, no human can match this DCT.
But, at the same time, I also prefer to have a conventional manual trans to enjoy the drive in a fun car and not only worry about performance.
Like I mentioned above, I do hope Tremec makes a semi affordable aftermarket conversion package for this DCT. I’m sure it’ll be $10-15k but that’s what the high end built autos (or even manuals) go for anyway.
These GT500s have proven durable at 1000rwhp and I still haven’t heard of a DCT failure from power. And that’s in a 4100+# car!
-J

Users who are viewing this thread