Coyote 6R80 Swap

393LX

I am planning a Coyote swap into an old Ford truck, and really want to stay with the 6R80 if it's not going to be a nightmare. Most of the swaps you see are either manual or if it is an auto, it's a TH400 or something with a standalone controller. There are no controllers for 6R80's, not sure if anyone is even attempting one because of how complicated they are to control.

Has anyone here swapped the Coyote/6R80 into something along with all the stock wiring and PCM? How much "hacking" of the wiring harness is needed? I know the PATS and all that BS is an issue, but there are people that can take care of that if you send the PCM to them.

XW Coyote

Established Member
i have just begun this conversion into an early 1970 Ford Falcon over here in Australia. The PATS system was my biggest concern. As you said there are people that can take of that and I have a PCM on it's way over. I purchased a 2012 F150 Coyote 6R80 pull out with all the engine and transmission harness with F150 PCM.

After discussions with the tuner it was decided to purchase a new 11-14 Mustang PCM. By the time I sent my PCM back and forth to the US is was just as cheap to buy a new one.

From what I can gather it's just a matter of integrating the engine harness with the original harness. No need for Mustang cluster etc add a power source and it should fire.

I would like to think that it will be that simple but I doubt it. I will update any info I can as the installation progresses

Cheers

walt460

SN95 Judge
Established Member
i have just begun this conversion into an early 1970 Ford Falcon over here in Australia. The PATS system was my biggest concern. As you said there are people that can take of that and I have a PCM on it's way over. I purchased a 2012 F150 Coyote 6R80 pull out with all the engine and transmission harness with F150 PCM.

After discussions with the tuner it was decided to purchase a new 11-14 Mustang PCM. By the time I sent my PCM back and forth to the US is was just as cheap to buy a new one.

From what I can gather it's just a matter of integrating the engine harness with the original harness. No need for Mustang cluster etc add a power source and it should fire.

I would like to think that it will be that simple but I doubt it. I will update any info I can as the installation progresses

Cheers

Any update on how this project turned out? How did you get around PATS, etc?

Thanks,

XW Coyote

Established Member
The PATS has been disabled and a new piece of harness has been made to complete the puzzle. The Factory Mustang PCM should now work like a Ford Control Pack with the 6R80 Auto. Should drive like factory auto

hotford

Established Member
Not to worry anymore boys Ford just released a control pack that is also available for a 6R680 use at PRI this weekend.

Last edited:

XW Coyote

Established Member
Thanks for the links.

Looks like you can only buy the Auto Control pack PCM as a package deal which included engine and transmission. Around $15000

Not much use for those of us with pull outs until they release the PCM and harness separately like the manual version. I'm not sure this will happen any time soon but at least they have finally done something for those that want to run an auto and crate engine.

SuperLX

Established Member
Thanks for the links.

Looks like you can only buy the Auto Control pack PCM as a package deal which included engine and transmission. Around $15000

Not much use for those of us with pull outs until they release the PCM and harness separately like the manual version. I'm not sure this will happen any time soon but at least they have finally done something for those that want to run an auto and crate engine.

Ford would not be wise to do this but if thats the case i would wait for this

http://www.dragzine.com/features/sema-coverage/sema-2015-ron-francis-wiring-tames-fords-coyote/

should be ready soon spoke to him last week
i have used his harness in an earlier mod swap for 4.6
excellent results.

Users who are viewing this thread