Coyote in a '96 Mystic

mustangc

This too shall pass
Established Member
I'm considering swapping in a Coyote 5.0 into my 1996 Mystic. The easy 400 horsepower would be fun in my car, and I might be able to upgrade to the Ford Racing supercharger kit in the future. Here are my concerns with this motor. If anyone has answers, I'd appreciate your input. Also, feel free to add more questions if you think I've overlooked something:

1) Electronic Controls - I know my EEC-V computer cannot be programmed to drive the TiVCT, so I figure the best way to control the engine is through the FRPP wiring & ECU kit (M-6017-A504V). What type of problems will this cause (anti-theft system, keyless entry, tach driver, etc.)?

2) Power Steering - The '11 Mustangs have EPAS, so is there even a place to put my power steering pump in the front mount? What's the alternative? I doubt installing an EPAS steering rack is a simple bolt in... or is it?:shrug:

3) Air conditioning - Will my A/C compressor bolt onto the Coyote, or will this be another headache I have to work out?

4) Exhaust - I doubt the Coyote headers end in the same location as my exhaust manifolds, so I'll probably have to have my Bassani X-pipe customized to fit.
4) Hood clearance - I know the heads on the Coyote are more compact than the 4V 4.6, but I am also aware that the S197 Mustangs have more room under the hood than the SN-95s, so there are no gaurantees of hood clearance. I DON'T want to lose my stock '96 Mystic hood. Also, the control pack puts the airbox right where my battery is currently located. I'll either have to go with an aftermarket or custom cold air setup to move the filter to the passenger's side, or relocate my battery.

5) FRPP blower - Hood clearance once again becomes a concern when it is time to install the FRPP blower. But also a concern for me is the availability of an FRPP tune. I believe the stock FRPP control pack for the Coyote crate engine is designed to be used with a return-style fuel system. Will the Pro-Cal tool (and tune) with the supercharger kit be made to work with the crate engine ECU? I don't trust anyone's tunes except for FRPP and Roush.

Some of these problems are minor, but some can be showstoppers for me (maintaining the stock hood, A/C, and some form of power steering). I wish I could get a shop to help me (like Paul's hp) and maybe write some stuff up for a magazine article.

Last edited:

assasinator

1 N the head,2 N da chest
Established Member
far as i know the front timing cover is all new. aeromotive makes a manual brake kit the works pretty well once the pivot point on ur brake peddle is redrilled. ill get under the car and look to see if any original mounting points are the same. the engine mounts are the same. it just takes time and fabricating ability to do any swap. you will need the throttle peddle to go eith the pcm.

theres always a way.

assasinator

Established Member
you will certainly need to make custom headers to clear your steering shaft. in my experinece fitting S197 motors into sn95, the passenger will work, but the driver's side needs an adapter plate. its possible the exhaust ports are in a similar spacing and position as 4.6 2v/4v but with a different bolt pattern. tranmission flywheel to crank axial lengths need to be figured. using your transmission with a coyote may take mixing parts together. ie a coyote flywheel/gt500 clutch plate/pressure plate. or something else similar.

assasinator

Established Member
clocking of the flywheel matter on coyote's. a mil light can turn on.

assasinator

Established Member
from what i see the coyote's profile is low enough. certainly lower than your stock 4v. centri is the way to go on the coyote.

Last edited:

mustangc

This too shall pass
Established Member
from what i see the coyote's profile is low enough. certainly lower than your stock 4v. centri is the way to go on the coyote.

Thanks for the feedback.

What did you mean by 'centri'? If you mean centrifugal blower, I'm just not a big fan of them. Positive displacement blower torque curves just match my personality better. Also, what do you mean by 'clocking' the flywheel? Are the new 5.0's not interally balanced like all previous modular motors? If so, why would the orientation of the flywheel be so important?

The throttle pedal comes with the PCM and harness kit available through Ford Racing.

I don't want to go to manual brakes and manual steering. I'm looking to keep the car driving like a factory ride, and Ford hasn't made a manual brake / manual steering street car in decades. If going forward means taking two steps back, then I'll just stick with the 4.6. I have to find some hope of keeping the power stuff before I break $7k on a crate motor.

Last edited:

Blown2004Stang

Established Member
Looks like it bolts right in using 4.6 mounts.. that's crazy..

And, the bell housing pattern is apparently the same as the old mod motors as well, since they bolted up a T56 with no problems.

mustangc

This too shall pass
Established Member
Power Steering

I have found out from one of the websites currently doing a Coyote swap into a Fox that Ford racing is going to produce a bracket to mount a power steering pump to the Coyote. It will mount the P/S pump in the location occuppied by the A/C compressor on a 2011 Mustang. That indicates that A/C and P/S may be an either / or option with these swaps, but I haven't found that out for sure. Because the bracket hasn't been released yet, I can only speculate.

I would rather investigate keeping the A/C compressor in the stock location, and remote mounting a P/S using a direct mount electric motor to power it. Perhaps there would be a market for such a device.

sneaky94cobra

Established Member
I have done the swap

hello,

I have already completed the swap and it is well worth it. For the 96 cobra your hydra boost brake system will work. You may have to use different rack bushings and a tubular k member. The ford control pack is very nice and has literally only 8 connections to make. This wiring harness comes with a tach input wire which all you have to do is pop the cluster out cut the old wire off the tach and connect the one from the control pack. The a/c and power steering will work you just have to buy the bracket system. I personally was going for more of a race approach and went the manual route with no a/c. The exhaust will be a hurdle. You have to buy the swap headers and you will have to take the car to an exhaust shop to have them cut and weld your existing x/h pipe to fit. I routed mine through a 2 1/2 inch x pipe with summit mufflers and you can barely hear it idle. (Total sleeper) no one knows that the car nearly make 500 crank horse. Not to mention the body a bit beat up. Anyway. I am using the stock 94 cobra hood and it fits with some room to grow. The evap line that connected to the JLT from the valve cover had to be cut and modified due to the JLT moving the evap line higher. Simple heater hose and hose clamp took care of it. As fare as a blower install, I am still doing research on a boss intake hood clearance which is close to the same height as a blower, but it is unclear if the snout and pulley will clear the front part of the hood. May need a hole cut out or a cowl hood. Please let me know if you have any questions about the swap. My friend and I did the entire swap in 7 days. Car drove in the shop with the old pushrod 5.0 and drove out with the new 5.0 coyote. Ford put together a good package. I also have a spread sheet of every nut, bolt, and other parts you need for the swap if you are interested. All things said the swap is amazing and very rewarding. Nothing beats the look on my buddies face after I murdered his built 408 GTO at the track.

Kornnut

Established Member
hello,

I have already completed the swap and it is well worth it. For the 96 cobra your hydra boost brake system will work. You may have to use different rack bushings and a tubular k member. The ford control pack is very nice and has literally only 8 connections to make. This wiring harness comes with a tach input wire which all you have to do is pop the cluster out cut the old wire off the tach and connect the one from the control pack. The a/c and power steering will work you just have to buy the bracket system. I personally was going for more of a race approach and went the manual route with no a/c. The exhaust will be a hurdle. You have to buy the swap headers and you will have to take the car to an exhaust shop to have them cut and weld your existing x/h pipe to fit. I routed mine through a 2 1/2 inch x pipe with summit mufflers and you can barely hear it idle. (Total sleeper) no one knows that the car nearly make 500 crank horse. Not to mention the body a bit beat up. Anyway. I am using the stock 94 cobra hood and it fits with some room to grow. The evap line that connected to the JLT from the valve cover had to be cut and modified due to the JLT moving the evap line higher. Simple heater hose and hose clamp took care of it. As fare as a blower install, I am still doing research on a boss intake hood clearance which is close to the same height as a blower, but it is unclear if the snout and pulley will clear the front part of the hood. May need a hole cut out or a cowl hood. Please let me know if you have any questions about the swap. My friend and I did the entire swap in 7 days. Car drove in the shop with the old pushrod 5.0 and drove out with the new 5.0 coyote. Ford put together a good package. I also have a spread sheet of every nut, bolt, and other parts you need for the swap if you are interested. All things said the swap is amazing and very rewarding. Nothing beats the look on my buddies face after I murdered his built 408 GTO at the track.

Can I get a copy of the spread sheet? kornnut@hotmail dot com

Users who are viewing this thread