Coyote Woes

lOOKnGO

Keep'um smiling
Established Member
Based on my experience as a Ford parts guy back in the day, engineering numbers at the end indicated updates.

I suppose they could have changed manufacturing processes to fix it, but despite all of that, they've yet to admit fault/advise customers of what the issue actually is. Dealership doesn't even know. They just replace the motors per the TSB.

100% correct. If they changed any part of the manufacturing design, the number/prefex can change also just from suppliers. I'm a Ford man, but this pisses me off.

faster1

Established Member
I will stay with my 96 5.8 pushrod engine with 224K miles and AOD trans and original exhaust. Still has 45 pounds of oil pressure, get 2000 miles to a quart of oil, never had the valve covers off or the trans out of it and have been towing cars and horses all over the country for years. After reading this I will restore it.

Mikey

nxhappy

Established Member
you need to try different oil . Synthetic blend. Maybe a 10w40. Thicker oil won't burn as fast. Sounds like the piston rings are allowing blow by.

Junior00

Hurter Of Delicate Vaginas
Established Member
Premium Member
I fought this with my wife's GM, first year of that 3.6DI. Ended up being the PCV valve orifices weren't sized correctly and causing a constant vacuum which was pulling engine oil back into the intake tract. They fixed that in subsequent years after about 5 years of troubles for folks! Not saying that's it but might be worth a look.

nxhappy

Established Member
valve seals or piston rings ....burns most on first start up ....

oxford03cobra

Established Member
Premium Member
I bought my 2018 5.0 truck brand new with 40 miles on it and I beat the shit out of it since day one. I went and did mexico pulls took it to the track and did bolt on's and had it tuned. I noticed it used a little oil in the first 1000 miles but after that It's been great. I really think you have to break these motors in hard to get the rings to seat.

RedVenom48

Let's go Brandon!
Established Member
The new 5.0s put out power but seem to have issues. Id seen the ticking crap now oil consumption....i think ill stay away.

I thought about coyote swapping my street rod but don't want to deal with this kind of crap.
You are solidly good to go on 2011-17 Coyotes and 12-13 Road Runners. If you plan to boost, you want a 15-17 engine. 6R80 auto is the way to go, but if you want to row your own Id consider a Magnum XL.

@IronSnake that sucks biiiggggg ballsacks. From a video I found on youtube, it looks like Ford moved the PTWA process in house.

The 2011-14 GT500s had their blocks cast and manufactured by Honsul in Germany including the PTWA application and final machine work. Im not sure where the Ecoboost V6's are produced, but Ive not heard of any oil consumption issues with them so far.

FWIW, my 2011 GT500 has just under 50k miles and Ive beat the piss out of my engine. Doesnt burn a drop of oil. If I had to take a guess, maybe the steel wire they are using in the Windsor factory isnt up to the same quality as the GT500s or Ecoboosts?

RedVenom48

Let's go Brandon!
Established Member
Also, its entirely possibly Ford ****ed up their ring package too and the PTWA liner is fine. Maybe they didnt use an aggressive enough 2nd ring?

Check out this article form Wiseco about how important the 2d ring is for oil control. Hint: On modern engines with a quality ring package the 2nd ring has nothing to do with cylinder pressure sealing:

What does the 2nd Piston Ring Do? Purpose and Function Explained!

DMassey

No Habla Jibber Jabber
Established Member
I wonder if Ford just got a bad batch of parts from a supplier... like the rings or something. Between all the Ford dealerships in my tri-county area, there's only been one F-150 engine replaced due to oil consumption; and there have been zero Mustang engine issues reported. The 5.0L's in my 2018 Mustang and my brother in law's 2018 F-150 have been flawless.

IronSnake

Beers for the boys
Established Member
Why not get into a nice 2.7 or 3.5?

Timing sets in the 2.7 are falling apart. Couple friends are master techs. I won't touch it. Nor do I think the 3.5 is a long term 200k+ mile motor. Way too complicated, and it's inevitable that I'd need to put turbo seals in it/replace 600 vacuum/oil/coolant lines.

I'm a V8 truck man. Clearly Ford can't make one worth two shits.

I bought my 2018 5.0 truck brand new with 40 miles on it and I beat the shit out of it since day one. I went and did mexico pulls took it to the track and did bolt on's and had it tuned. I noticed it used a little oil in the first 1000 miles but after that It's been great. I really think you have to break these motors in hard to get the rings to seat.

I left the lot with my foot in it. I drive the crap out of this thing all the time. I've built a lot of small block Ford's, and no doubt, you need to seat the rings. But whatever design they've used is trash.

I'm waiting to hear back today from the dealership what I can get going. I'll put the wife in a new eco car to run around town in. I'm probably going to pickup a 01' ish silverado with a 5.3. Even with 200k+ mi

MachME

2V Power
Established Member
Timing sets in the 2.7 are falling apart. Couple friends are master techs. I won't touch it. Nor do I think the 3.5 is a long term 200k+ mile motor. Way too complicated, and it's inevitable that I'd need to put turbo seals in it/replace 600 vacuum/oil/coolant lines.

I'm a V8 truck man. Clearly Ford can't make one worth two shits.

The 3.5 has sleeves. The 3.5 only extra complication vs yours is the turbos. They are both DI and PI etc. The only thing i have seen is the coolant line at the center of the turbo, the o ring inside going bad after a years of heat cycles which allows some coolant to slow leak if not fixed. The 3.5 is for sure a 200k plus motor with maintenance and there are a lot online surpassed that already.

The new 18+ 5.0 seem to have the most problem out of the engine choices, as you have explained. The ticking etc.

gimmie11s

I Race Pontiacs
Established Member
Premium Member

I beat on mine like it cheated on me.

I literally had 25 drag passes in the car before it had 500 miles.

I’ve had no issues at all.

And besides... even if it flew apart tomorrow.. who cares? A Gen 3 long block is $2000 brand new from Ford. Take it and throw rods and pistons in it and done. Rest easy at 1000whp all day long.

Compare that to a 1000hp gt500 aluminum motor which will cost you $15k.

The Gen 3 coyote is a bad ass motor that ford has spent time making better. It’s obviously not perfect yet, but it’s close. They went back to 12mm head studs like the 11-12’s which will allow better head clamping for us FI guys. The rods are arguably one of the strongest rods ever offered by ford. They block is stronger than 11-17’s. The crank damper is now fluid filled so no more broken oil pump gears.

There is a lot of good in this motor ....

Sent from my iPhone using the svtperformance.com mobile app

IronSnake

Beers for the boys
Established Member
The Gen 3 coyote is a bad ass motor that ford has spent time making better. It’s obviously not perfect yet, but it’s close. They went back to 12mm head studs like the 11-12’s which will allow better head clamping for us FI guys. The rods are arguably one of the strongest rods ever offered by ford. They block is stronger than 11-17’s. The crank damper is now fluid filled so no more broken oil pump gears.

There is a lot of good in this motor ....

Sorry, don't agree with that. The ticks, rattles, knocks... obviously there's quality issues.

I've looked at a few builds of 2018 cars and E85 is destroying the cylinder lining. Skirts on pistons are destroying the bottom of the cylinder walls (friend sent me some photos of a shot 2018 5.0 he tore down at Ford). Another Master Tech friend has had three escapes come in where the roof and the A pillar was not welded together and seam sealed, so water just poured inside of the car.

Ford's fix? Use windshield bonding to fix it.

Trust me, it pains me to say all of this. I am as Ford as ford gets, but they've pretty much lost me as a customer. If you look at many of the threads, there's a mass exodus of people from the brand for the same reason.

Ford build quality is trash.

gimmie11s

I Race Pontiacs
Established Member
Premium Member
Sorry, don't agree with that. The ticks, rattles, knocks... obviously there's quality issues.

I've looked at a few builds of 2018 cars and E85 is destroying the cylinder lining. Skirts on pistons are destroying the bottom of the cylinder walls (friend sent me some photos of a shot 2018 5.0 he tore down at Ford).

Trust me, it pains me to say all of this. I am as Ford as ford gets, but they've pretty much lost me as a customer. If you look at many of the threads, there's a mass exodus of people from the brand for the same reason.

Ford build quality is trash.

You’ve looked at a few 2018 builds lol? Where? M6g? The place where people are using stethoscopes to listen for “ticks”? Lmao ok!

You are certainly entitled to your second hand opinion which is being argued from the exception viewpoint, not the rule.

I’ll go ahead and hold my 1st hand viewpoint which is the rule for the vast majority of 18+ motors.

FWIW, my car has been on e85 for 4000 miles.

I do agree it appears there were issues with the spray bore lining. But e85 isn’t going to eat steel or aluminum lol.

IronSnake

Beers for the boys
Established Member
You’ve looked at a few 2018 builds lol? Where? M6g? The place where people are using stethoscopes to listen for “ticks”? Lmao ok!

You are certainly entitled to your second hand opinion which is being argued from the exception viewpoint, not the rule.

I’ll go ahead and hold my 1st hand viewpoint which is the rule for the vast majority of 18+ motors.

FWIW, my car has been on e85 for 4000 miles.

I do agree it appears there were issues with the spray bore lining. But e85 isn’t going to eat steel or aluminum lol.

Lookup 1320chicks videos and you'll see when they tore the motor down, the E85 was eating at the top of the cylinder walls.

FWIW, I have a 2015 Coyote long block sitting in my garage right now with a pin hole in the piston. It ran still. I believe the iron lined motors are fantastic. The new style, not at all.

Also, I would consider my abysmal experience with the brand, how they've handled the shit engine, and Ford's response to me owning a 40k dollar paperweight, is first hand experience.

coposrv

Established Member
I will stay with my 96 5.8 pushrod engine with 224K miles and AOD trans and original exhaust. Still has 45 pounds of oil pressure, get 2000 miles to a quart of oil, never had the valve covers off or the trans out of it and have been towing cars and horses all over the country for years. After reading this I will restore it.

Mikey

Ha! I was just looking around FB marketplace yesterday for a nice condition mid 90s bronco.

IronSnake

Beers for the boys
Established Member
Don't know where you're gonna go, then, because they're the best of the domestic manufacturers by a long shot.

No more new cars for us. Not after this. Going to find a mid 90's 7.3 truck and just stop pretending that I need an expensive fancy truck.

SVTdreamin04

What's a "Termi"???
Established Member
Premium Member
No more new cars for us. Not after this. Going to find a mid 90's 7.3 truck and just stop pretending that I need an expensive fancy truck.

Ever thought about going with a Cummins? The 7.3 is a great engine, but they have some miles on them and they don’t make the power that you can make with a 5.9 or a 6.7.

Sorry to hear about your F150 experience. That is a major letdown to spend all that cash and have a truck with those types of issues.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Users who are viewing this thread