Coyote Woes

Zemedici

Established Member
Grain of salt, man.

Apparently 25% of F150s are sold with the 5.0. They sell nearly a million trucks per year.

It wouldn't surprise me if there are 400,000 of them out there. If there was a consistent issue, there would be a lot more noise about it.

Says the guy driving a GT350 ;)

SOME OF US ARENT AS RISKY AS YOU AUSTIN!

cidsamuth

Liberty Biberty
Established Member
In my experience, manufacturers rarely buy back a car at first request . . . even when the situation seems cut and dry.

They know 90+% will just go away after being told no. So, it is just a good business decision on their parts. It's not personal.

I was one of the first (if not the first) with the "BBQ ignitor" tick in the 2011 5.0 Mustangs. Bought the car in April 2010 just 40 minutes from the plant and before it was even prepped.

Despite my begging, Ford refused to put a new engine in it. I got a lemon law attorney and filed suit. A year later, they had to pay me a sizable settlement (which the attorney took half) AND I had that new engine.

OP . . . if they refuse the buy back, talk with a lemon law attorney. There are many who don't get paid unless you get a settlement. Many times, you end up with money that exceeds your negative equity. Then, you can just trade the car in and move on.

03Sssnake

TK-421
Established Member
In my experience, manufacturers rarely buy back a car at first request . . . even when the situation seems cut and dry.

They know 90+% will just go away after being told no. So, it is just a good business decision on their parts. It's not personal.

I was one of the first (if not the first) with the "BBQ ignitor" tick in the 2011 5.0 Mustangs. Bought the car in April 2010 just 40 minutes from the plant and before it was even prepped.

Despite my begging, Ford refused to put a new engine in it. I got a lemon law attorney and filed suit. A year later, they had to pay me a sizable settlement (which the attorney took half) AND I had that new engine.

OP . . . if they refuse the buy back, talk with a lemon law attorney. There are many who don't get paid unless you get a settlement. Many times, you end up with money that exceeds your negative equity. Then, you can just trade the car in and move on.

My buddy Wes had to get a lemon law attorney to get a buyback on his Taurus Sho a few years ago. He even had the dealer on his side and it still took an attorney.

ATX5.0

Established Member
D463A0EE-81CC-41FD-B51E-0E74347D45F8.jpeg
I checked the engine oil today in my ‘18 f150 5.0 and looks low to me. Drove it around, let it sit for 30-40min and then checked. Lmk what y’all think. Btw the truck has a tick under 2400mi

SVTdreamin04

What's a "Termi"???
Established Member
Premium Member
View attachment 1572066
I checked the engine oil today in my ‘18 f150 5.0 and looks low to me. Drove it around, let it sit for 30-40min and then checked. Lmk what y’all think. Btw the truck has a tick under 2400mi
it does look low, but is it the first time you checked it for yourself?

I'm thinking an LS swap might be in your future...

Just kidding.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

BlksvtCobra01

Deplorable and Proud
Established Member
View attachment 1572066

Supposed to be between to two cut out tits? If so it’s low don’t add any take it to a dealer to get the process started.

IronSnake

Beers for the boys
Established Member
View attachment 1572066

Mine was the same song and dance at that interval. It should be between the dots, so that's low. Went to 4400 mi before I realized, yea, it's not going to stop eating oil.

And here we are.

RedVenom48

Let's go Brandon!
Established Member
Mine was the same song and dance at that interval. It should be between the dots, so that's low. Went to 4400 mi before I realized, yea, it's not going to stop eating oil.

And here we are.
Now that I think about it, Toyota has had an oil consumption bug in the past. Turns out their 2nd ring wasnt up to snuff and the oil return holes in the pistons were sized too small and the oil control rings were coking up.

beau t

Established Member
Ironsnake i had 1 lemoned lawed and bought back in SC in 04 the stipulation was i had to buy another vehicle from the dealer that meet or exceeded the same MSRP ( thats how i got my cobra) so keep this in mind unless they have given confirmation to straight buy it back?

mc01svt

100% full natty brah
Established Member
i agree with OP, as much as i love ford the newer f150s are disposable, these things are clearly not meant to last. They have plastic oil plans for God's sake.

ATX5.0

Established Member
it does look low, but is it the first time you checked it for yourself?

I'm thinking an LS swap might be in your future...

Just kidding.

I was checking the oil level every 500mi or so.

CV355

_
Established Member
This thread had me so paranoid that I checked the oil in all of our vehicles yesterday.

My wife's '17 5.0, which is due for an oil change, appeared to have zero oil consumption, and the oil looked like fresh honey. I was shocked at how clean it was. She's supposed to check her oil weekly, but she recently admitted she is too short to reach the dipstick and thought I was checking it.

My Volvo on the other hand, which I had just topped off the previous weekend, was down 2 quarts. I'm willing to bet it's the stupid PCV system drinking oil like a redneck drinks Pabst. I have to check it weekly. It doesn't smoke, and the ground under it is clean (there's no lower engine cover anymore since some filthy wrenchmonkey chucked it a few years back)

03Sssnake

TK-421
Established Member
This thread had me so paranoid that I checked the oil in all of our vehicles yesterday.

My wife's '17 5.0, which is due for an oil change, appeared to have zero oil consumption, and the oil looked like fresh honey. I was shocked at how clean it was.

My Volvo on the other hand, which I had just topped off the previous weekend, was down 2 quarts. I'm willing to bet it's the stupid PCV system drinking oil like a redneck drinks Pabst.

put some small orifice restrictors inline on the pcv circuit. I bet volvo has a revised pcv valve as well.

CV355

_
Established Member
put some small orifice restrictors inline on the pcv circuit. I bet volvo has a revised pcv valve as well.

I have to be careful- if the PCV gets clogged even slightly, the whole thing backs up and the engine makes a howling sound from high crankcase pressure. I was lucky I didn't blow seals the last time that happened. It got fixed under warranty in 2013 thankfully. They call it the "Flamebox Issue."

03Sssnake

TK-421
Established Member
I have to be careful- if the PCV gets clogged even slightly, the whole thing backs up and the engine makes a howling sound from high crankcase pressure. I was lucky I didn't blow seals the last time that happened. It got fixed under warranty in 2013 thankfully. They call it the "Flamebox Issue."

oh shit! You might wanna look into a one way check valve breather setup, that will let out crankcase gasses, but won't draw in un-metered air. CFM makes some nice ones.

img-breather.jpg

IronSnake

Beers for the boys
Established Member
I don't like Pabst.

Dollar PBR's? Holla at your boy

Driving the wheels off the truck lately. Loading it down with wood and junk. Hauling trailers. Doing whatever. If it consumes a 12 pack while hauling a trailer and blows up, well I guess Ford gets to pay for that bill.

Still have 900 ish miles to go before the motor gets ordered.

Users who are viewing this thread