Crank relearn

Grey11500

Established Member
So, I have my car at my tuner with my new motor and he can't get it to crank relearn. Current set up is built lower, ported heads, ported lower intake, 3.4 whipple ported to 170 elliptical, bullet cams, id 1300 injectors, 15% lower pulley, cobra jet 140 maf, centerforce dyad clutch, headers, off road pipe. He's tried hp tuners,sct, ford ids with no luck. The best he's got is that it will say relearn successful with hp tuners, but the check engine light comes back on immediately. Stock misfire parameters are in the tune and it still wont do it. He tried with just the stock tune in it to no avail. Any ideas would be greatly appreciated.

Sent from my SM-N960U using the svtperformance.com mobile app

Catmonkey

I Void Warranties!
Established Member
Premium Member
From everything I've gathered, the crank relearn is a coyote procedure that doesn't apply to the GT500. I have had random misfire codes on start up of two major upgrades, one a new shortblock, the other on a major chain drive upgrade. Both times, the codes just ceased. I'm not so sure it takes a short break in of certain parts before it dissipates.

802gt500

Established Member
When I did my short block I did the cam and crank relearn with sct x3. No issues

69b302

Established Member
Had the do relearn on a 2012, when the clutch was upgraded. Relearn was done via pro cal. Might check your crank bolt torque and other parts related to crank sensor.

Catmonkey

I Void Warranties!
Established Member
Premium Member
Did you guys actually have a P0315 code, or did you assume you had to do a crank relearn?

69b302

Established Member
It came up with a code a short time after the swap. It seemed to be common an issue for that year, when I researched at the time. The code never came back after the relearn. I think this mostly a 2010+ PCMs feature.

Grey11500

Established Member
I have the po 315 code. Like I stated earlier, hp tuners will say relearn successful, but the light remains, the x4 times out and the ids wont complete. We're going to try to put on factory cai and throttle body. When revving to 4500 the rpms kind of hang a bit before dropping. Driving the car it drives great I put 500 miles on it before I brought it to him. The fire up tune is real close. This is just getting frustrating. As far as mechanical aspects I did put in the mmr billet timing wheel and the kinetic crank stud. Car just runs to good to be mechanical in my opinion, but at this point I wont rule it out.

Catmonkey

I Void Warranties!
Established Member
Premium Member
I have the po 315 code. Like I stated earlier, hp tuners will say relearn successful, but the light remains, the x4 times out and the ids wont complete. We're going to try to put on factory cai and throttle body. When revving to 4500 the rpms kind of hang a bit before dropping. Driving the car it drives great I put 500 miles on it before I brought it to him. The fire up tune is real close. This is just getting frustrating. As far as mechanical aspects I did put in the mmr billet timing wheel and the kinetic crank stud. Car just runs to good to be mechanical in my opinion, but at this point I wont rule it out.
But did you have it before you resorted to the crank relearn? Here's a thread on the HP Tuner website about this procedure and some problems HP had in some versions of their software. I have both the MMR reluctor wheel and the Kinetic crank stud and I don't have a code. I would try returning the tune to stock (not the car just the OEM tune) and reloading the new tune without doing a crank relearn and see if the P0315 code returns.

Grey11500

Established Member
Yeah, I read that thread too, and we already tried all that. I'm at the point where I might get a new ecu and start from scratch. I will need one anyway because I have another motor that I want to stuff in something else.

Users who are viewing this thread