Crashed my 2020 GT500 CFTP into a Creek High-Speed at the Track! (video)

Goose17

SVT collector nut
Established Member
I join Shelby friends for a track day at MSR Cresson on worn Sport Cup 2 tires, using them one more day before replacing them for an upcoming planned complex track event. It was my 2nd time running the full 3.1 at MSR-C and it had rained prior to our first session, which made it the slickest track I have been on to date! The track surface improved on subsequent sessions, but the tires were losing grip as the day progressed, especially the rears. The mishap happened on session 4 and was captured on multiple high-def cameras. I went off track high-speed and into a muddy creek. It took some effort to get me out as I was pretty far off track with slick mud complicating the extraction. The video finishes with a synopsis of the event and lessons learned.

dads01dream

Established Member
Ouch! At least you live to race another day and hopefully there's not to much damage. Thanks for sharing.

Double"O"

N2S come get some
Established Member
Thats a ditch not a creek lol

Still sucks though...coulda been waaaay worse

03'Darin

Established Member
Much better than I expected when I read the title.

Good to see the damage was minimal and you don't even seem to be bothered by it. Can't say I'd have handled it like that. lol

Kevinbonds

Established Member
This is the exact reason I bought a used 350Z and put a roll cage in it. I just got to anxious driving cars with a lot of torque, that without track tires can really get greasy without great road conditions.

blk02edge

Established Member
Much better than I expected when I read the title.

Good to see the damage was minimal and you don't even seem to be bothered by it. Can't say I'd have handled it like that. lol
All you can do is stay positive. It's why I don't set foot in fancy street cars on the track though

WutApex

Wut Apex!?!
Established Member
Ugh. That sucks. I appreciate you willing to post that. It’s a possibility anytime we hit the track.

After I had a four off with my 97 Cobra, I went out and bought a NASA CMC spec’d 95 Mustang…much safer and wouldn’t be as upset if I binned it.

Glad you and the car are okay.

Bdubbs

u even lift bro?
Established Member
Premium Member
Glad your okay Goose! It's nice to see some live video of your awesome cars and shop!

Sent from my moto g power (2021) using Tapatalk

CobraBob

Authorized Vendor
Established Member
Premium Member
Single Barrel Sirs
I hit 88 as I skid… got on the brakes and immediately went off into the slick muddy mess.
Thanks for the info. You were VERY fortunate this time. No way would I have raced on that track with those weather conditions and on tires that were pretty much exhausted. First sign of fighting for traction at speed, if I didn't have new tires to switch to I would have called it a day and waited for better conditions. But that's just me.

Kevinbonds

Established Member
Thanks for the info. You were VERY fortunate this time. No way would I have raced on that track with those weather conditions and on tires that were pretty much exhausted. First sign of fighting for traction at speed, if I didn't have new tires to switch to I would have called it a day and waited for better conditions. But that's just me.
Exactly, it's not so much the car, that can be replaced.. but I have seen some serious injuries that left people with serious neck and back issues due to improperly prepped car, or too much car for the skill level.

Users who are viewing this thread