Creaking noise when jacking car up?

Bdubbs

u even lift bro?
Established Member
Premium Member
The other day I was jacking up the rear, one side at a time. When I was doing the rear passenger side to put my race ramp flat stoppers under the tire, I could hear a creaking noise. Anyone else get this? I was jacking up the car at the subframe connector.

I don't think this is the first time I've heard this. Normal?

Sent from my Moto E (4) Plus using the svtperformance.com mobile app

*Jay*

Tweeker by trade
Established Member
Premium Member
Kinda tough to diagnose but was it more of a metalic creak or a bushing squeak. Was it a very signifigant change in sound like jumping from a 2 to 8??? Figure that out and you will have an easier time tracking it down. Regardless of which it is I have never jacked a vehicle that stayed completely silent and is most likely normal unless it was a huge, sudden jump in noise.

Bdubbs

u even lift bro?
Established Member
Premium Member
Kinda tough to diagnose but was it more of a metalic creak or a bushing squeak. Was it a very signifigant change in sound like jumping from a 2 to 8??? Figure that out and you will have an easier time tracking it down. Regardless of which it is I have never jacked a vehicle that stayed completely silent and is most likely normal unless it was a huge, sudden jump in noise.
Kinda hard to describe. I thought maybe my wheel wasn't torqued down all the way. But the more I think about it, as long as I can remember it always made some type of noise when jacking it up.

Tifosi2003GT

Established Member
If I remember correctly aren't there some grease fittings in the rear of the cobra?

cj428mach

Established Member
On my car with 10.5 reps on the rear the tires will bind against the subframe bolts. if the LCA are unsupported when jacking if there's weight on the lower control arms the tires dont contact the subframe bolts. So i get creaking noises when i jack up the car.

Last edited:

Revvv

Infinity Poster
Established Member
When you jack the car up you are hyperextending the suspension. It is going to make noise. It may be hard to hear, but every car makes noise as the suspension is relieved of pressure.

Sent from my [trashcan S5] using the svtperformance.com mobile app

HausCobra

Established Member
See u mention flat stoppers. I am currently dealing with out of round Mickey Thompson et Street SS’s and hopefully getting them warrantied. Was thinking for next set to look into the flats toppers. Do you like them? Can u just drive onto them or do U need to Jack it up to put under?

Sent from my iPhone using svtperformance.com

Bdubbs

u even lift bro?
Established Member
Premium Member
See u mention flat stoppers. I am currently dealing with out of round Mickey Thompson et Street SS’s and hopefully getting them warrantied. Was thinking for next set to look into the flats toppers. Do you like them? Can u just drive onto them or do U need to Jack it up to put under?

You can drive on them. But with my storage bag it's hard to drive on, they will kick out. The tires will spin.

Here's what I'm talking about.
IMG_20181030_155343873_zpsmfdgyua6.jpg

hotcobra03

Established Member
my guess is the doors creaked when lifted.

i noticed my doors are hard to open when only lifting rear end of car vs just the front

MG0h3

Established Member

I used to leave my car on stands to save the tires. Said screw it a couple yrs ago and just pumped them up to 40psi. Sat three months. Little rough for 10min but cleared right up and you'd never know now.

Sent from my SM-G950U using the svtperformance.com mobile app

c6zhombre

E85 NutSwinger
Established Member
One thing I've noticed, regardless of vehicle......they all make more noises when the temperatures drop. And my idea of temps dropping is probably a whole lot less dramatic than the cold you experience up there, Brady! Lol. My beater pickup groans and moans thru the suspension when temps get 50 or colder. The terminator makes more noises as well.

Middle of a hot summer? Everything is super quiet.

Bdubbs

u even lift bro?
Established Member
Premium Member
One thing I've noticed, regardless of vehicle......they all make more noises when the temperatures drop. And my idea of temps dropping is probably a whole lot less dramatic than the cold you experience up there, Brady! Lol. My beater pickup groans and moans thru the suspension when temps get 50 or colder. The terminator makes more noises as well.

Middle of a hot summer? Everything is super quiet.
Cold weather definitely does weird things to vehicles. Never gave that a thought. It was was maybe 50 degrees.

testorossa1989

Established Member
I've had that sound start the same way and progressively intensified over the years. Now I hear it in any parking lot, stop light, reaching across the seat lol. I've isolated it down to ancient rear eibach springs. Might even do all the shocks and struts too. If ya have a OTC euro spring compressor, you can install the springs without taking apart the car

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

Bdubbs

u even lift bro?
Established Member
Premium Member
I've had that sound start the same way and progressively intensified over the years. Now I hear it in any parking lot, stop light, reaching across the seat lol. I've isolated it down to ancient rear eibach springs. Might even do all the shocks and struts too. If ya have a OTC euro spring compressor, you can install the springs without taking apart the car

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk
Not quite sure how old my h&r race springs are. I did replace my rear shocks a couple years ago.

Users who are viewing this thread