cruise control activation in neutral?

BURGESS04COBRA

Established Member
Ok so was running with cruise set put it in neutral and hit resume and cruise engaged as if it was in gear and of course the car reved up like having clutch in and rev motor...my question is is this normal on a 03-04 cobra or any stang for that matter or is it a cruise control problem and could my tune have anything to do with it because of the traction control is turned off in tune any info will be great and thanks also gonna post this else where

Black02GT

*Not 2KBlackGT
Established Member
Yeah the clutch position, brake and speed is the only thing the cruise control monitors I believe. So when the clutch is engaged it'll add throttle trying to get the speed to the target. Since it doesn't know if it's in gear or not it just revs. Same for if you pull the car out of gear without hitting the clutch.

selbyvince

Established Member
Its a manual transmission thing. At least in the older vehicles anyway. Ive had a few vehicles including trucks that do this. It doesn't know if your in gear or not, its just doing what it has to, to get you to the set speed.

03SonicVert

Ford Junkie since 1996
Established Member
I don't think it's normal. If you're in geartake using cruise it should disable the second you touch the clutch or brake pedal.

If you have a way too monitor PIDs/inputs I would check your BOO [brake on/off] and clutch pedal.

If you're doing 55 with cruise on: press the brake-should deactivate cruise. Same with clutch pedal. You push it in and the rpm's should drop to idle.

That should tell you if clutch or brake pedal input but sounds like clutch pedal input. Do you have any clutch pedal adjustments like the Steeda? They will cause the clutch pedal switch to no longer function. The maximum motorsports style well retain clutch pedal swith function.

I use cruise control almost every time I take my car out and it never revs with clutch or brake pedals touched. They both immediately cancel the CC.

SV

selbyvince

Established Member
I don't think it's normal. If you're in geartake using cruise it should disable the second you touch the clutch or brake pedal.

If you have a way too monitor PIDs/inputs I would check your BOO [brake on/off] and clutch pedal.

If you're doing 55 with cruise on: press the brake-should deactivate cruise. Same with clutch pedal. You push it in and the rpm's should drop to idle.

That should tell you if clutch or brake pedal input but sounds like clutch pedal input. Do you have any clutch pedal adjustments like the Steeda? They will cause the clutch pedal switch to no longer function. The maximum motorsports style well retain clutch pedal swith function.

I use cruise control almost every time I take my car out and it never revs with clutch or brake pedals touched. They both immediately cancel the CC.

SV

After doing some reading, the cobra has a sensor that will disengage the cruise on both the brakes and the clutch. Unlike most of my other vehicles which don't, If I press the clutch in on any of my vehicles without hitting the brakes or button first, that thing is revving up. Now hitting the cruise control button while the clutch is not pressed and the trans is not in gear, I would think that its going to do that. Although I don't have a cobra any more to try it on or I would. Maybe someone else can help further as your cobra is a lot different than my Silverado lol.

BURGESS04COBRA

Established Member
Yup it turns off when i hit brake or clucth was just saying that if i put it in neutral and hit resume it will act as if it is in gearband rev

cj428mach

Established Member
I'm pretty sure its normal. I remember my old 4th gen Fbody would rev up if i'd take it out of 6th with out pushing in the clutch with the cruise engaged. It wasn't aware if the car was in gear.

There is no sensors to tell the car that its in gear in a manual transmission so how would it know?

Users who are viewing this thread