Current New Vehicle Market

tones_RS3

I like members members.
Established Member
Premium Member
@13COBRA

Is Ford shipping out vehicles without certain options that are needed from the semicondutor chips? And then when those chips are available, the customer brings their vehicle back to the dealership to have them installed?

IIRC, I think GMC is doing this.

Weather Man

Persistance Is A Bitch
Established Member
Full article.

The Verge
The Verge

Ford to ship and sell Explorer SUVs with missing chips​

Emma Roth - 5h ago

Ford will soon start selling and shipping some Ford Explorers without the chips that power rear air conditioning and heating controls, according to a report from Automotive News. The automaker will instead ship the missing semiconductors to dealers within one year, which they will then install in customers’ vehicles after purchase. Customers who purchase a vehicle without the rear controls will receive a price reduction Ford spokesperson Said Deep told The Verge that heating and air condition will still be controllable from the front seats, and that customers who choose to purchase a vehicle without the rear controls will receive a price reduction. According to Deep, Ford is doing this as a way to bring new Explorers to customers faster, and that the change is only temporary.

The automaker originally had plans to ship partially-built, undrivable vehicles to dealers last year, but now, the unchipped vehicles will be both driveable and sellable. As pointed out by Automotive News, Ford’s decision comes as an attempt to move the partially-built vehicles crowding its factory lots. Last month, hundreds of new Ford Broncos were spotted sitting idly in the snow-covered lots near Ford’s Michigan Assembly Plant, all of which await chip-related installations.

Like many other companies, Ford has been grappling with the constraints introduced by the chip shortage. After the lack of semiconductors forced Ford to scale back production of its popular F-150 last year (and once again earlier this month), it started giving customers the option to purchase the pickup without automatic start-stop, the feature that turns a vehicle’s engine off when it comes to a complete stop. Ford gave affected owners a $50 credit in return.
Other automakers have also had to make sacrifices due to the chip shortage, with GM dropping wireless charging, HD radios, and a fuel management module that made some pickup trucks operate more efficiently. Meanwhile, Tesla sold some cars without USB ports and made them installable at a later date. Luxury cars haven’t been exempt from the shortage either, as Cadillac nixed its hands-free driving feature in its 2022 Escalade, while BMW began shipping some cars without touchscreens.

Update March 13th 1:45PM ET: Updated to clarify that the affected vehicles are Ford Explorers and that they’ll be missing rear HVAC controls. Also updated to include some additional context surrounding Ford’s removal of the F-150’s start-stop feature due to the chip shortage, and information from a Ford spokesperson.

Attachments

• 1647211676586.png
    1647211676586.png
    68 bytes · Views: 57

CompOrange04GT

Anyone have a strap on my girl can use on me?
Established Member
Full article.

The Verge
The Verge

Ford to ship and sell Explorer SUVs with missing chips​

Emma Roth - 5h ago

Ford will soon start selling and shipping some Ford Explorers without the chips that power rear air conditioning and heating controls, according to a report from Automotive News. The automaker will instead ship the missing semiconductors to dealers within one year, which they will then install in customers’ vehicles after purchase. Customers who purchase a vehicle without the rear controls will receive a price reduction Ford spokesperson Said Deep told The Verge that heating and air condition will still be controllable from the front seats, and that customers who choose to purchase a vehicle without the rear controls will receive a price reduction. According to Deep, Ford is doing this as a way to bring new Explorers to customers faster, and that the change is only temporary.

The automaker originally had plans to ship partially-built, undrivable vehicles to dealers last year, but now, the unchipped vehicles will be both driveable and sellable. As pointed out by Automotive News, Ford’s decision comes as an attempt to move the partially-built vehicles crowding its factory lots. Last month, hundreds of new Ford Broncos were spotted sitting idly in the snow-covered lots near Ford’s Michigan Assembly Plant, all of which await chip-related installations.

Like many other companies, Ford has been grappling with the constraints introduced by the chip shortage. After the lack of semiconductors forced Ford to scale back production of its popular F-150 last year (and once again earlier this month), it started giving customers the option to purchase the pickup without automatic start-stop, the feature that turns a vehicle’s engine off when it comes to a complete stop. Ford gave affected owners a $50 credit in return.
Other automakers have also had to make sacrifices due to the chip shortage, with GM dropping wireless charging, HD radios, and a fuel management module that made some pickup trucks operate more efficiently. Meanwhile, Tesla sold some cars without USB ports and made them installable at a later date. Luxury cars haven’t been exempt from the shortage either, as Cadillac nixed its hands-free driving feature in its 2022 Escalade, while BMW began shipping some cars without touchscreens.

Update March 13th 1:45PM ET: Updated to clarify that the affected vehicles are Ford Explorers and that they’ll be missing rear HVAC controls. Also updated to include some additional context surrounding Ford’s removal of the F-150’s start-stop feature due to the chip shortage, and information from a Ford spokesperson.

Lmfao@ the verge and any thing they write

They got laughed off the internet while calling themselves a tech website and proved in a YouTube video they couldn’t even put together a computer

Weather Man

Persistance Is A Bitch
Established Member
Lmfao@ the verge and any thing they write

They got laughed off the internet while calling themselves a tech website and proved in a YouTube video they couldn’t even put together a computer

Ford called and had them correct, did you even bother to read ?

Blk04L

. . .
Established Member
Premium Member
@13COBRA

Do you /your dealership have any issue with trade ins over 100k miles and listing it on the lot?
Assuming of course it's in good condition and not a junk car.

Got told by a ford dealer that anything over 100k they aren't allowed to put on lot and it will be auctioned, hurting the trade in value.

hockeylover86

Established Member
Ford even changed their online configurator to remove options on vehicles, with an alert now when you go to the site that some options are no longer available.

Think about how many 99% complete vehicles are sitting, technically spoken for, but when the economy tanks people may cancel those orders.

Or they got tired of waiting and spent that money elsewhere.

Bottom line is undelivered = unsold.

How many billions of dollars at risk are sitting in parking lots right now, only Ford knows.

Last edited:

mariusvt

Established Member
Ford even changed their online configurator to remove options on vehicles, with an alert now when you go to the site that some options are no longer available.

Think about how many 99% complete vehicles are sitting, technically spoken for, but when the economy tanks people may cancel those orders.

Or they got tired of waiting and spent that money elsewhere.

Bottom line is undelivered = unsold.

How many billions of dollars at risk are sitting in parking lots right now, only Ford knows.
Nevermind some or most of those are probably also 2021's almost a full model year old.

black92

Hot rod Lincoln
Established Member
@13COBRA

Do you /your dealership have any issue with trade ins over 100k miles and listing it on the lot?

Got told by a ford dealer that anything over 100k they aren't allowed to put on lot and it will be auctioned, hurting the trade in value.
Would be good to know myself because I’m thinking sooner than later to get a different ride and if Nick can beat Vroom/Carvana, then I’m making the short trip up to do the deal. My car just rolled over 100k.

me32

BEASTLY SHELBY GT500 TVS
Premium Member
Would be good to know myself because I’m thinking sooner than later to get a different ride and if Nick can beat Vroom/Carvana, then I’m making the short trip up to do the deal. My car just rolled over 100k.
What you have plans to get?

Weather Man

Persistance Is A Bitch
Established Member
The cheapest Model 3 you can buy in the US is now $48,440 plus taxes and fees. Est. delivery August.

SHOdown220

Established Member
@13COBRA

I think that's more of a dealer by dealer decision. Dealers can and do put vehicles over 100k on the lot for sale. But I think for some it may be easier to send one to auction rather than repair multiple items before the sale or the risk of a car coming back shortly after a sale for a repair on a car with higher miles on it. That being said it seems with the current market dealers don't care they'll put anything on the lots to sale lol.

I traded my 16 Focus ST with 116k on it and had no issues, got a good trade value, they put it on the lot and it sold within the week. My car was a clean example though, just happened to have a lot of highway miles on it

13COBRA

Resident Ford Dealer
Established Member
Premium Member
Single Barrel Sirs
This time next year, there are going to be a lot of people so upside down!
Nah. The new vehicle supply will still be down, used prices will still be high.
Local dealer has 4 new Broncos on the lot and 14 F150's. I haven't see that kind of inventory locally on hand in almost a year.
They must have ridiculous mark ups.
Ford is getting worried about getting stuck with all those unfinished vehicles, announced they are shipping them.
Yes and no.
@13COBRA

Is Ford shipping out vehicles without certain options that are needed from the semicondutor chips? And then when those chips are available, the customer brings their vehicle back to the dealership to have them installed?

IIRC, I think GMC is doing this.
Yes, but most are on a no-sale. They're paying us to install parts rather than a 3rd party company.
@13COBRA

No. They're full of shit. Lol
See above

Sent from my Potato

Blk04L

. . .
Established Member
Premium Member
Nah. The new vehicle supply will still be down, used prices will still be high.They must have ridiculous mark ups.Yes and no.Yes, but most are on a no-sale. They're paying us to install parts rather than a 3rd party company. No. They're full of shit. LolSee above

Sent from my Potato

Yea I figured lol. Told me Ford wouldn't allow them but then I asked why Ford cares what they put on their lot. No real answer there. Even said they couldn't get banks to finance cars over 100k.
BS alarms went off in my head but decided to ask a legit source.

Thank you.

Was debating on trading in the Gen 1 for a Gen 2 until I got a low trade in. 6k lower than Carmax/Vroom.

TAF

Trilogy Twin Screwed #004
Established Member
Car Dealers are Dinosaurs and will be extinct soon. Ford's new "Ford Model e" and its "dealer less platform" will lead eventually to ALL Ford products being sold directly to consumers, and will service them through their own Ford owned service locations...

Book it!

5.0 Hatch

Established Member
Car Dealers are Dinosaurs and will be extinct soon. Ford's new "Ford Model e" and its "dealer less platform" will lead eventually to ALL Ford products being sold directly to consumers, and will service them through their own Ford owned service locations...

Book it!
Let's hope so. I can't think of anything I hate more than stepping foot on a dealer lot.

Users who are viewing this thread