Cut rear H&R race springs?

01yellercobra

AKA slo984now
Established Member
Are you still running the stock rubber bushings? Something I've wondered for the guys that don't get the advertised drop with stock bushings is if they need to loosed the control arm bolts and let the car settle. I know whenever installing new rubber bushings you're supposed to get the car to ride height then tighten the suspension. The way the rubber bushings are they will only allow the suspension to move so much. So maybe try loosening the lower control arm bolts, then raising the control arm, and retightening everything. I usually lift it until the car just comes off the jack stand. Then I know all the weight is on the suspension.

shurur

Established Member
My springs
Screen shot from MMs site
And another image showing linear vs progressive springs.

It's pretty obvious they are progressive springs. For anyone wondering the rear springs are actually the larger diameter ones on the left. But keep trusting what someone posted ages ago. View attachment 1744558View attachment 1744559View attachment 1744560

Sent from my SM-G970U using the svtperformance.com mobile app
Respectfully disagree...those rear close coils are called "dead coils." The rears spring look linear to me

and the front very tight progressives..i.e. not very progressive or slightly progressive.

shurur

Established Member
I already have H&R race without any isolators. Someone already said their Race springs sit level, so mine must not be clocked right in the rear.
I already have H&R race without any isolators. Someone already said their Race springs sit level, so mine must not be clocked right in the rear.

My springs
Screen shot from MMs site
And another image showing linear vs progressive springs.

It's pretty obvious they are progressive springs. For anyone wondering the rear springs are actually the larger diameter ones on the left. But keep trusting what someone posted ages ago. View attachment 1744558View attachment 1744559View attachment 1744560

Sent from my SM-G970U using the svtperformance.com mobile app
Respectfully disagree...those rear close coils are called "dead coils." The rears spring look linear to me

and the front very tight progressives..i.e. not very progressive or slightly progressive

shurur

Established Member
You start the rear pigtails right where the emergency cable bracket is...or on the 99 where the tab is.. where the cable bracket should have been...it is the lowest point on the spring cup.

Last edited:

robvas

Established Member
Why would it be terrible to cut a half a coil off progressive springs?

cobracide

Established Member
Why would it be terrible to cut a half a coil off progressive springs?
Cutting progressive rate springs yields very unpredictable results. More likely than not, your ride quality will go to crap. Linear cutting is not exactly good but has a better chance of actually working out.

robvas

Established Member
But why? You're just shortening a spring making it a tiny bit stiffer

cobracide

Established Member
But why? You're just shortening a spring making it a tiny bit stiffer
Linear springs as in the name follow a predicable linear rate. Cutting x length of coil affects the spring in a factor of x amount. predicable and simple, yes? Progressive rate springs are a dual rate spring with a rate transition which is much more complex. Basically once you start cutting into a progressive - you have completely destroyed the designed characteristics of the transition range.

If you still want to know more then have fun here.

Red Turtle

ALWAYS WATCHING
Super Moderator
And again, this was the same debate long ago. People would spend money on Springs and not get the look desired. Removed ISO's still not perfect and ride further changed. Sold Springs purchased another set with similar problems.....

Cut your stock springs 1 coil and leave ISO's in keeping virtually the stock ride quality.

Man I miss this car sooo much!

26804300138_large.jpg

26804300135_large.jpg

26804300137_large.jpg

Last edited:

01yellercobra

AKA slo984now
Established Member

and the front very tight progressives..i.e. not very progressive or slightly progressive

I am going to respectfully agree to disagree on this one.

Find a pic of those springs installed. If the coils touch they're dead coils. If they don't they're progressive.

And this is why I like my coilovers. I can put the ride height where I like it. For the most part.

Red Turtle

ALWAYS WATCHING
Super Moderator
Find a pic of those springs installed. If the coils touch they're dead coils. If they don't they're progressive.

And this is why I like my coilovers. I can put the ride height where I like it. For the most part.

I agree with adjustability, but it is more of an initial and then set. I did that with my 18' going with Steeda kit only to adjust the height at install and then never again. Looking back, I could have saved a lot of money and just gone with a proven stance/spring.

01yellercobra

AKA slo984now
Established Member
I agree with adjustability, but it is more of an initial and then set. I did that with my 18' going with Steeda kit only to adjust the height at install and then never again. Looking back, I could have saved a lot of money and just gone with a proven stance/spring.

I've adjusted it 3 times since I put them in. The last time was when I put the Toyos on because the rears were riding. JMO, but I think the coilovers are worth it. They ride better than the H&R's the car came with and handle better.

Rambro

Established Member
Tried clocking the springs in different positions and it did nothing to bring the rake down. Going to try and find some cut stock springs or buy the sport springs. Can’t do the rake with the race springs.

shurur

Established Member
There is a cut spring thread that has a table that I made for oem springs and the drop you will get.

Rambro

Established Member
It might be worth reaching out to H&R. Maybe it's a bad set.

I’ve had these springs on the car forever, don’t know if they’d do anything but it might be worth a shot. I wish Eibach still made the sportlines for these car’s. I’ve had them on previous cars and like the drop those give. I went with the race because they weren’t as low and didn’t scrape the exhaust, but now I want the slammed look.

01yellercobra

AKA slo984now
Established Member
It's really weird how high the rear of yours sits up. This is mine when I had the race springs on it.
imagejpeg_5.jpeg

Users who are viewing this thread