Cyclical rubbing noise from rear-end after hard acceleration (SRA-swapped)

hatchke

Established Member
I'm likely just going to end up bringing it back to the shop that installed my rear-end setup but i'm just curious what i'm looking at here.

Rear setup:
Strange 35-spline w/ Strange S-trac differential (c-clip eliminators, whole deal).
Welded axle tubes
Team-Z 8.8 welded on reinforcements, etc.

Under normal driving, cruising, normal stuff there's absolutely no noise. Just your normal rear-end slight gear whine at highway speeds, but I think that's mostly because the rear of the car is gutted still right now.

However after heavy acceleration runs and/or really romping on the car it starts to give off a cyclical metalic rubbing noise that almost sounds like the rear brakes are dragging or something. The first time I heard it, it was definitely coming from the driver side rear (and I just figured it was probably a wheel bearing going bad) but today after a quick spin the noise was coming from the passenger rear this time. No clunks, pops, creaks, grinding or anything that really screams "something is wrong with the rear-end" but i'm just not sure.

It seems like applying the brakes stops the noise but it's honestly really hard to tell. The car is fairly loud and it's hard to get a bearing on the noise at all. Mostly curious if there's something really simple that i'm missing here.

03' White Snake

Established Member
Check the rear caliper bracket is centered over the rotor. Many aftermarket axles are thicker, longer etc and the brake caliper brackets need to be shimmed to center over the rotor. Same thing happened to my buddies SRA car. Was fine for months then started contacting like you are experiencing.

Put a lug nut or 2 on the rotor and remove the caliper, check the rotor is centered in the bracket opening. Try and push the axle in and out of the axle housing too to make sure you still have rotor clearance. It will move a tiny bit, especially when making turns while driving, so just be prepared to account for it.

Last edited:

hotcobra03

Established Member
Does this still have oem style caliper,,tiny pads.

I recall 1 time when my piston wasn't in line for post on pad .

Causing dragging wheel .

Than the guide pins being frozen is another,

hatchke

Established Member
Ok awesome, thanks y'all. I'll definitely check that out. It sounded more brake related than anything else.

Users who are viewing this thread