D-1SC build, when are ported heads/cams worth it?

RI GT500

Established Member
I am building a 04 Mach 1 with a D-1 SC with a air to air, at what point are ported heads and cams, long tubes worth it on a 4V ? It's going to have a built short block , was hoping for 650-700 rwhp, thanks for any advice.

DSG2003Mach1

Established Member
Premium Member
I was told by Todd (NaSVT) not to bother with porting the heads along with the builder (MPR). I currently make 15psi with a D1, engine was built for up to 25psi. I do have long tubes and mild blower cams

Haven’t had the new 9.5:1 motor on the dyno, the old 10:1 motor made 640 on 93 and 715 on E85. Both tunes were somewhat conservative on timing, I think it was 18.5 on the e85 tune.

RI GT500

Established Member
OK thank you , I just started to research this and so far that's what I'm hearing , MAYBE a mild set of cams and long tubes. What are your goals? I'm assuming you have an air to air intercooler?

apex svt

MEAN STREAK
Established Member
I was told by Todd (NaSVT) not to bother with porting the heads along with the builder (MPR). I currently make 15psi with a D1, engine was built for up to 25psi. I do have long tubes and mild blower cams

Haven’t had the new 9.5:1 motor on the dyno, the old 10:1 motor made 640 on 93 and 715 on E85. Both tunes were somewhat conservative on timing, I think it was 18.5 on the e85 tune.
What pulley combo? Belt slip issues?

DSG2003Mach1

Established Member
Premium Member
its either a 3.4 or 3.5" RR nonslip pulley, stock crank pulley, 8 rib conversion and thump single bolt tensioner. Im sure theres some slip but it doesnt appear to be terrible. A bigger crank pulley is definitely better than smaller blower pulley.

yes, air to air, running the 3 core procharger for now

I didnt really have an end goal in mind, when the project started I would have been fine with high 500s on pump and anything over 600 on race gas. That was when I had an aluminator crate motor I lost to an oil pressure issue. At some point I might turn the boost up but thats gonna be a lot more $ (pumps and injectors, possibly a different intercooler, waste gate to keep it down on pump gas etc...)

milktasd2

Established Member
I was told that if not going for full out race build that just cleaning the heads up and open the valve seat IDs to 90% of the intake valve OD and 85% of the exhaust valve OD is an “inexpensive” way to get hp. At least it was cheaper than going to foxlake lol. As for cams, I have seen a lot of cars not pick up a ton of peak hp but pick up a good bit of mid range. Basically my goal was to build it once and be done with it...still building the car though. Told my engine builder and tuner my goals, budget, and plans for the car and we went from there.

RI GT500

Established Member

What cams did you install ?

DSG2003Mach1

Established Member
Premium Member
What cams did you install ?

I would have to find the cam cards but it was comp cams Xtreme energy nitrous/blower cam. Can’t recall stage 1 vs 2. He’s also specing cams and having bullet cams grind them so might be worth checking. My priority was a wide power band good for a car that sees more street time than anything

RI GT500

Established Member
Hay guys, well the motor is out , I bought a set of GT Ford cams and I'm going on a shopping spree black Fri. ARH long tubes etc etc , What throttle body are you guys using with a blower?

98 Saleen Cobra

Established Member
It depends on the goals of the car.. For instance my car..
10:1 281ci build..
Foxlake stg 3 heads
Custom Accufab cams
1-3/4" LT's with a full 3" o/r exhaust
Sullivan lower with a custom upper.
Custom Air to Air with 3.5" piping
JT-trim Vortech
On 14psi and E85 I made 830rwhp and 670rwtq and I wasn't done yet that was on 18* of timing too

So again efficiency for me was key as it should be with most builds.. I have no doubt that my car on this blower will make 1000rwhp.. Budget should also be considered, but right now my setup is pretty damn nuts for power with such little boost. Hell I could probably swap to pump gas and dump the timing if I wanted lol

RI GT500

Established Member
That is a very cool set up ! What throttle body are you running? And what rear gear ?

Users who are viewing this thread