Daily driving your toys

jdcobra

Established Member
How anal are y’all about rock chips and things of that nature when daily driving your cars? It’s expected some things will happen like chipping, door dings, and things of that nature. How much do you really care, and do you go out of your way to help prevent some of those things from happening if you can?

Sorry for the annoying amount of questions, this quarantine has me bored out of my mind.

VENOM1

6.0MAN
Established Member
It varies based on the DD one owns. If mine was an old Civic with 200K on it then really any sort of cosmetic damage wouldn’t bother me too much. But, a lot of people here have very nice DD’s and care for them to the extent of their Cobra or what have you. As an example,I DD a 2013 Infiniti M37X and the first thing I did was have it ceramic coated and paint protected.

Blackoyote

Established Member
I used to do the whole anal and crazy thing about my fun cars, and wouldn't drive them in rain or inclement weather...and then after selling my Cobra years ago I realized how stupid it was to have a car for 2 years and put on 1500 miles. At that point I swore I'd never have another car that just sat.

Now my C6 is my daily driver, and all I do is make sure to park not beside handicap spots and clean it once/month. If it gets scratched or dinged, it's not the end of the world. I like having fun cars for that reason, to actually enjoy them.

coposrv

Established Member
Rain sleet snow. Don’t care. Everything gets driven.

The fun cars get cleaned pretty deeply at least once a year on the lift, the daily drivers get the car wash every so often.

They’re made to be driven not stored

Sent from my iPhone using svtperformance.com

IA Shelby

Established Member
I babied my first two (04 cobra & 11 GT500). Put very few miles on them, obsessed over them. I had some health challenges a few years back that changed my outlook. Bought a new GTR, along with a new Rubicon. Drive them both consistently. I am putting a 1000 miles a month on my GTR. I even bought a set of winter wheels/tires. I enjoy my daily commute more than ever. The plan is to purchase a 911 GT3RS sometime in the future and I will drive that frequently as well.

Now if I had a 62 Ferrari GTO, that would be a different story.

coposrv

Established Member
IMG_2109.jpg

A builder local to me daily’s all kind of shit. This is a twin turbo first gen camaro. I’ve seen it in snow sleet salt. You name it.

Sent from my iPhone using the svtperformance.com mobile app

jdcobra

Established Member
Yea, I used to be pretty anal and freak out if I got rock chips but that’s kind of a daily thing here in Houston. To me it’s debating on whether spending 500-600 to fix the chips and such is worth it or would I rather buy mods. I’m leaning towards the latter lol.

nickf2005

Established Member
Yea, I used to be pretty anal and freak out if I got rock chips but that’s kind of a daily thing here in Houston. To me it’s debating on whether spending 500-600 to fix the chips and such is worth it or would I rather buy mods. I’m leaning towards the latter lol.
I have rock chips galore on the bumper and hood, two passenger door dents from a falling broom (bad luck), and a driver door dent from opening into a column (dumb move on my part). Sure, I could get them fixed, but what does that do? Doesn't make it faster. I'm not selling so value doesn't matter. I don't put it in shows so screw judges and their opinions.

I drive it to work as much as possible and take cruises in the Summer evenings and weekends. Sure, maybe one day I'll address the flaws, but right now I'd rather have the $2,000(?) in my pocket. I want a golf cart.

Sent from my SM-G975U using the svtperformance.com mobile app

jdcobra

Established Member
I have rock chips galore on the bumper and hood, two passenger door dents from a falling broom (bad luck), and a driver door dent from opening into a column (dumb move on my part). Sure, I could get them fixed, but what does that do? Doesn't make it faster. I'm not selling so value doesn't matter. I don't put it in shows so screw judges and their opinions.

I drive it to work as much as possible and take cruises in the Summer evenings and weekends. Sure, maybe one day I'll address the flaws, but right now I'd rather have the $2,000(?) in my pocket. I want a golf cart.

Sent from my SM-G975U using the svtperformance.com mobile app

This is true. Idk, I’ve been one of those people who has always been proud of what he has, no matter what. Does it bother me? Yes, lol. But do I need to fix it,l? Probably not.

BlckBox04

I am the liquor
Established Member
Premium Member
I used to dd my 04 the wear and tear from that shows but I don't care I'll have this car forever

DSG2003Mach1

Established Member
Premium Member
It's not a concourse show car so whatever. It served 80k as a DD before becoming a fun car, I'll get the nose resprayed to fix the rock chips and throw some PPE on it. Whatever happens after that, happens. I don't take it out if it's gonna be pouring rain because whats the point but I don't keep it inside because theres a slight chance it might rain on me.

jdcobra

Established Member
True. I’ll probably keep this car and eventually turn from a DD into a weekend toy and then have it fixed. I mean the interior is immaculate and it drives like a dream. Wish I could find the person who had it before to ask what all was done besides maintenance.

Recon

Established Member
I daily a 224k mile Silverado that I don’t worry about the body too much. Do I take care of the truck? Yes, it’s pulled in if bad weather is coming. If something breaks, it’s fixed. It’s also babied to the extreme, rarely going over 2k rpm. Now the nice cars are treated very well. Once they’re out of winter storage I’ll bring them to the shop for inspections. If they need anything they get it. I detail the cars and they will also be inspected with my dent guy. Will they be daily driven? Not likely. The cars mean a lot to me, and I would rather them be safe in the garage, than some retard not paying attention plow into them and destroy them.

Pick your poison.

Users who are viewing this thread