Daily driving your toys

jdcobra

Established Member
All I can say from experience is that daily driving any mustang on these Houston streets is much more forgiving than the c5 and c6 z06 I had. If I ever got one of those again, they’d be put up and driven on good weather weekends only.

blk02edge

Established Member
I no longer buy shiny expensive cars for the street, worrying about scratches and chips ruins all the fun. All about hitting the curbs on track and being within inches of going into the dirt.
Truck is DD life

9397SVTs

Established Member
Premium Member
If you daily drive your toy, it's no longer a toy, but a daily driver.

I have a daily driver and two toys. The toys never see rain. They may be driven 1200-1500 miles each, but I work a lot and have limited opportunities. I am anal about them, but I really enjoy the times when I'm driving them. It's therapeutic.

I'm anal about the daily, but accept that some things are expected/unavoidable. I always park at the far end of parking lots and detail it regularly. It does have cosmetic damage, which honestly bugs me, but I bought it for the purpose of being a daily driver.

prs97

Established Member
The Cobra had some chips & imperfections when I bought it and it has made the car more enjoyable for me.

I'm one of those too-tightly wound perfectionist types and if something is immaculate, I want it kept that way. It's one of my many personality flaws.

01yellercobra

AKA slo984now
Established Member
The Cobra is a toy and spends its time parked in a garage. I rather not drive it in the rain, but that's mostly because then I have to clean it. It has chips and issues from being someone else's DD that will get fixed eventually. But I was more concerned skoit going fast for now. I definitely drive it whenever I can. Sometimes I take it to work on nice days.

The daily is well taken care of. I've gotten quite a few compliments on it. It has some minor scratches I need to address, but they're really low on the priority list.

Last edited:

rotor_powerd

Established Member
Premium Member
The GT500 stays in the garage and barely gets driven. I haven't even put 5 miles on it since getting back from ModNats in November.

I always make the conscious decision to not care at all about a daily driver when I buy one. I've been daily'ing my C63s for 2 years and drive the shit out of it.... I couldn't even tell you the last time it's been washed. Worrying about everything staying perfect all the time is way too stressful

CobraG

Established Member
Tied, I've put about 5 miles on my 2013 5.0 since Aug/Sep. I haven't been driving mine while I decide if I'm going to trade it or not. I do not DD my "toy" though, I have a truck for that. And yes, I stress and worry about miles, scratches, dings, etc. Like prs97 said, it's more of a personality flaw.

Kevins89notch

Established Member
I always enjoyed my fast cars when they were not my daily. It's fun to get that shock of power after dealing with the daily for a couple days/weeks.

jdcobra

Established Member
I always enjoyed my fast cars when they were not my daily. It's fun to get that shock of power after dealing with the daily for a couple days/weeks.

15+ 5.0s NA with full bolt-ons make really good DD’s IMO. Granted you don’t get a dud with Ac issues and things of that nature.

Kevins89notch

Established Member
15+ 5.0s NA with full bolt-ons make really good DD’s IMO. Granted you don’t get a dud with Ac issues and things of that nature.

Oh yeah, it would be great! They are amazing cars. I just enjoy the feel of having something faster for weekends or whatever. A coyote as a DD and a fox with a blown 408 making 700rwhp...great combo. :)

RedVenom48

Let's go Brandon!
Established Member
My car was very clean when I bought it in 2015 with less than 15k miles. Fast forward 6 months later when a GTR wrecked me at the local drags and yeah, the keep it clean, low mile and cherry plan went out the window.

I was fortunate the wreck only trashed the l/f suspension, front bumper, hood and radiator core support. A few grand out of pocket and she's been back together with all Ford parts. L/F corner has a few gaps out of place, and probably needs a better (new) front bumper cover but it is what it is at this point.

She's about 80% compared to a garage queen, but whats nice is I dont fret over the car. I take care of her and goddamit is she still fun to drive. Ive got a laundry list of mods to do that Ill probably get to once she's paid all the way off.

In 20 years when this generation GT500 is getting harder and harder to find in good condition, most people probably wouldnt know she had been in a little smashy-smash unless I told em or they knew what they were looking at.

Doesn't matter as this car isnt going anywhere. I might even take her to a body shop and see what it would cost to get her back up to 90%.

jdcobra

Established Member
My car was very clean when I bought it in 2015 with less than 15k miles. Fast forward 6 months later when a GTR wrecked me at the local drags and yeah, the keep it clean, low mile and cherry plan went out the window.

I was fortunate the wreck only trashed the l/f suspension, front bumper, hood and radiator core support. A few grand out of pocket and she's been back together with all Ford parts. L/F corner has a few gaps out of place, and probably needs a better (new) front bumper cover but it is what it is at this point.

She's about 80% compared to a garage queen, but whats nice is I dont fret over the car. I take care of her and goddamit is she still fun to drive. Ive got a laundry list of mods to do that Ill probably get to once she's paid all the way off.

In 20 years when this generation GT500 is getting harder and harder to find in good condition, most people probably wouldnt know she had been in a little smashy-smash unless I told em or they knew what they were looking at.

Doesn't matter as this car isnt going anywhere. I might even take her to a body shop and see what it would cost to get her back up to 90%.

Good thing you weren’t hurt man! Yeah I don’t go to the track for that reason alone. I’ve seen too many close calls, and too many people who get behind the wheel and run out of talent real quick.

RedVenom48

Let's go Brandon!
Established Member
Good thing you weren’t hurt man! Yeah I don’t go to the track for that reason alone. I’ve seen too many close calls, and too many people who get behind the wheel and run out of talent real quick.
This particular GTR ran out of transmission durability. That night I went was imports v. Domestics. Had no clue, I just knew it was Friday and I wanted to go racing.

Guy wanted to show of his new 900 AWHP Black Edition GTR in front of all the cool kids in San Diego. Guy that was driving was his tuner. Apparently he had already warned the owner who was on his way that 700 AWHP was the safe limit for the trans. Owner said Sent It. Well, he did.... right into me when his trans blew and locked his wheels up.

lol, I was alright. Drove the car off the track. Dude's GTR got punted on all 4 sides after he hit me. Totaled.

Forgot to add that in 2017 when I moved to Phoenix, I daily drove my Shelby for about a year and a half. I learned that I love the shit out of my car and also that I hate McLeod RXT clutches, lol.

jdcobra

Established Member
This particular GTR ran out of transmission durability. That night I went was imports v. Domestics. Had no clue, I just knew it was Friday and I wanted to go racing.

Guy wanted to show of his new 900 AWHP Black Edition GTR in front of all the cool kids in San Diego. Guy that was driving was his tuner. Apparently he had already warned the owner who was on his way that 700 AWHP was the safe limit for the trans. Owner said Sent It. Well, he did.... right into me when his trans blew and locked his wheels up.

lol, I was alright. Drove the car off the track. Dude's GTR got punted on all 4 sides after he hit me. Totaled.

Forgot to add that in 2017 when I moved to Phoenix, I daily drove my Shelby for about a year and a half. I learned that I love the shit out of my car and also that I hate McLeod RXT clutches, lol.

That’s one thing I’ve learned over the years is when you upgrade one part, you’ll need to upgrade all the supporting pieces as well lol.

McLeod RXT clutches are hit or miss according a lot of people, mainly with how they engage.

jdcobra

Established Member

That’s one thing I’ve learned over the years is when you upgrade one part, you’ll need to upgrade all the supporting pieces as well lol.

McLeod RXT clutches are hit or miss according a lot of people, mainly with how they engage.

jdcobra

Established Member
w/ my old gen2 viper i'd cry with every new scratch or ding. shit just can't be replaced LOL.

Yea that’s a reasonable response lol. Idk, I honestly don’t ever think I could have multiple cars, would kill me to let them just sit in rotation. At the same time I want them to look nice lol. But like many said, that’s more of a flaw so to speak than anything.

ccq8le

Established Member
Malt Liquor Mafia
Party Liquor Posse
I know I am anal and always want my cars to be flawless..... I try hard to be careful and do whatever I can to avoid and issues that could damage something.

But at the same time if something happens or breaks I for some reason can move on from it quickly and easily and just let it go. It becomes in the past and I understand nothing I can do to go back and change the past. I would even say a part of me gets excited to fix it or rebuild. As we know everything can be fixed or replaced or maybe even made better.

The OP asked about daily driving. I don't daily my cars but I did when I bought my Terminator (bought new in 2003 and still have it). If the weather is good I for sure am driving one of my cars now days tho.

I try not to worry about the little things. When the end of your life comes you're never going to be saying. I wish I didn't drive my cobra or...(insert your fav car here) because of dings or to many miles. You will be on the other side wishing you did the things you enjoyed more, or remembering a time you got caught in rain when the top was down.

Enjoy your cars guys. With all that's going on it the world we are all knowing life is precious and you only get to live once.

Sent from my SM-G965U using the svtperformance.com mobile app

jpro

Disoriented Poster
Established Member
I babied my Cobra. Bought the Coyote for the simple fact that I wanted to drive a fun, powerful, manual Mustang daily. I don’t baby it. She gets to stretch her legs all the time.

Sent from my iPhone using svtperformance.com

Users who are viewing this thread