Darn Right Blinker!!!

Immortal LuD

Established Member
Ok... Since the first day I bought my '96 Mystic, and drove it home, my right blinker never worked. Sometimes it would blink SUPER FAST, other times it would work fine after being on for a few seconds.

Lately the only thing I would do, is hold it about 80% of the way up, and it would work. Then if the blinker arm moved, it would screw up again.

So I was told it could be a blinker module, (wtf), or something else in the steering column. (OMG NO!) I hate dealing with anything having to do with the column...

So I read a little on the forums, and found an easy way to find out what the exact problem could be, and to turn the hazards on.

Well, for the most part when I hit the hazards, both sides work... Yesterday, they didn't even come on for a few minutes. Now they work on both ends.

Yet my right blinker only makes my rear passenger side tail light flicker very fast.

Anybody know what I need to do to fix this? It's driving me INSANE!

Thanks!!!

KazooGS-T

Established Member
Swap out for a new bulb? I had the same problem on one of my other cars, swapped out the bulb and put the "electrical grease" on the end and it worked fine again.

Slow95Cobra

Certified in SVT by Ford
Established Member
if it makes a funny clicking noise, from the multifunction switch... replace the Multifunction switch. without seeing it and diagnosing it... thats what i would replace it first. and double check the pins in the connector to make sure they arent broken/bad fit

Immortal LuD

Established Member
Well is going to Ford going to be expensive? I know people at the dealership, but I wanted to find out if it would be an easy fix or not.... I Just HATE dealing with anything in the steering column like I said before. :)

KazooGS-T

Established Member
It's not the bulb... Otherwise my hazards wouldn't work correctly at all.

How do I get to the switch?

I had the exact same problem on my taurus, it might have been a bad connection that straightened out when I replaced the bulb; but it did do the trick. It's quite possibly the cheapest possible solution without replacing the malfunction switch.

budweiser175

Banned
i think i have the same problem as you? my headlights and fogs werent working then i saw your post and tryed turning on the left and right blinker and it wouldnt work? i had to keep the arm up halfway and it would make a sound and if i moved the blinker arm it would turn off? i just turned the hazard light on and off and now everythings working?

Stavesacre21

Thinkin 4th Dimensionally
Established Member
Sorry i didn't get to this sooner. Gaurnateed, just like everyone else said, to be your multifunction switch. Replaced it out on mine...even did a little write up about it.

Check out the write-up here

it's easier then you think to do.

Last edited:

Stavesacre21

Thinkin 4th Dimensionally
Established Member
NO, that's not the part. Hope you haven't ordered it yet, because you don't need it. We should be so lucky to think a $15 part would do it.

Here's your part you need

all the shorts and problems associated with signals and 4-ways are enclosed in this little peice of crap

Last edited:

SNAKEYE

Established Member
Better yet, here's your chance to get it at a FRACTION of the cost!

You'll thank me later :beer:

i'd like to know where deals like this were when i needed one! seriously!

First you might try flushing out the old switch with contact cleaner, but at $9.95 for a new MFS you can't hardly buy a can of the contact cleaner!
Corroded bulb sockets could be the problem. Also check lighting ground wire connections for corrosion.

Immortal LuD

Established Member
Ok, so wait... Do I need to get the lever and assembly? Or do I just need the multifunction switch?!

I'm ordering a few other things from 5.0 Resto, and can just add the switch into my order if I can!

Thanks guys!

Immortal LuD

Established Member
Ok, everybody said multifunction switch, so I thought I just needed that switch. So now I need a whole blinker assembly?... I have no problem with that, even $70 is worth the trouble I've been having with the blinker since I've owned the car.

Hopefully it's easy to install!

STAMPEDE3

SAULS BROTHER
Super Moderator
Ok, so wait... Do I need to get the lever and assembly? Or do I just need the multifunction switch?!

I'm ordering a few other things from 5.0 Resto, and can just add the switch into my order if I can!

Thanks guys!

The multi-function switch and lever are one complete piece.

They posted it before.

This is what you need.
94-98 TURN SIGNAL LEVER ASSEMBLY MUSTANG

Users who are viewing this thread