Dealership Patois

Weather Man

Persistance Is A Bitch
Established Member
Old guys loved to drop their wives at the mall on Sat and come to a big dealership I used to work for to kill time. The newbs would get stroked for hours by these guys. They learned to spot them or suffered the consequences.

From-the-April-2013-issue-of-CAR-and-DRIVER-magazine-626
From-the-April-2013-issue-of-CAR-and-DRIVER-magazine-626
1. Up

Any potential buyer.

2. Laydown

A customer who offers little resistance and purchases a car at the list price or more. Also known as an “ace.”

3. Paperboy

A buyer who comes in with an advertisement or printouts from the internet. Also known as a “nerd.”

4. Stroker

A shopper who acts interested but has no means or intention of buying a car.

5. Be-back

A shopper who claims he’ll come back, but may or may not return.

6. F.D.R.S.

These initials stand for “filthy disease-ridden swine.” Used to describe a buyer with horrible credit. Often used as inter-salesmen code to name the type of loan, as in, “You qualify for our F.D.R.S. loan!” Such a customer is also referred to as a “roach.”

7. Third baseman or third-base coach

The “expert” a buyer brings along to provide advice on the deal. Also known as a “lawyer.”

8. Gold balls

A customer with excellent credit. The opposite of an F.D.R.S.

9. Slasher

A temporary salesperson brought in for his high-pressure sales acumen during a short-term or weekend sale.

10. $500 Sandwich

Sales lost to a lunch break.

11. F&I

It stands for “finance and insurance,” the dealership department to which customers are handed after the sale, and where “back-end” products such as financing, extended warranties, and other soft add-ons get pushed on the buyer. Often the place where dealerships rake in the most profit.

12. Lot lizard

A salesperson who stalks customers as they pull into the dealer’s lot.

13. 040, 149, etc.

When salesmen want to indicate a customer’s race to another employee, they use the brand’s paint codes.

14. Home run

A salesman’s extremely profitable deal that includes a car sold at full list price or more. It may include a lucrative financing kickback and a trade-in purchased for less than its value.

15. De-horsing

Taking the keys and driving away the trade-in “to assess its value.” This leaves the buyer with no means of leaving the dealership.

16. A key and a heater

A car with no options but an enticing price. Also known as a “stripper,” “teaser,” or “loss leader.”

17. Mop and Glow

An extra-cost paint sealant or fabric protector of dubious value.

18. Spiff

Any bonus or incentive paid by the factory to the salesman or the dealership for moving a slow-selling car. Generally not disclosed to the buyer.

19. Whack ’em

When the F&I department successfully loads the buyer down with window waxing, paint sealant, nitrogen-inflated tires, dentless paint-removal package, etc.

Weather Man

Persistance Is A Bitch
Established Member
Here are a couple more I remember.

Fluff and buff -- When a dealer runs a trade through the car wash and puts on lot. Also when a customer brings in a really clean trade, could be put straight on the lot.

Turn and burn -- A busy day working multiple sales successfully at the same time.

MFE

Established Member
My brother sold cars in Dearborn for years and years. He had a binder full of these things. My favorite was the customer they'd call "Shewandaleice". As in "She want to lease but she couldn't make the note"

Users who are viewing this thread