Dealing With The Loss Of My GT500

Spudz

Established Member
I appreciate everyone's kind words. It's definitely a difficult time to be sure. I agree that in the end it's just a car. It can be replaced and I fully intend to do so when the time is right.

Both the car and homeowner's insurance (Geico and State Farm respectfully) have been great to work with so far. Both are treating this as a total loss case so I'm hoping to wrap up the investigation portion of things soon so I can move on to rebuilding. The wrecker crew that eventually comes for the Shelby is going to have an interesting time getting it off the trailer and out of the garage.

I was definitely lucky that this fire happened the way it did. From what the investigator said, it was likely smoldering in the attic space for at least two full days before the house frame caught. It could've easily happened while I was home asleep or at work with the dogs home alone (I live by myself). I'm grateful neither case happened.

As for the replacement, I do love the new GT500s. But it's hard to get past the lack of a manual with them. Even though I'm relatively bad at it, I still love rowing gears. I guess it's time to start facing facts that the stick shifts are going out to pasture. In the end I will definitely end up with another GT500, just not sure what model year it will be.

eagle eye

Established Member
Now that is truly a crying shame.
I was wondering how the insurance co. will asses the value of your car.
Did you have stated value ins. on your car?
Best of luck!

Spudz

Established Member
Preliminary talks with the insurance has them pegging the car's value at 46k, which seems a little on the low end for a Track Pack car with Nav and the Shaker. (Edit: just a hair over 8k miles on the odometer)

Am I right to push for a little more? It seems lower mileage TP cars are going for closer to 50k or so. I can't find any comparisons for sale in my area because... well, Alaska and whatnot. So that's making it a bit tough.

Thankfully they are also letting me factor in mods once we establish the base value.

Last edited:

Robert M

800 HORSE FUN!!
Established Member
Wow. Those pictures are hard to look at. Good luck with the rebuild
Sent from my iPhone using svtperformance.com

^^^^^That is my exact thought. I saw the OP title and was thinking that the OP must have sold his 500 and was regretting the sale.......and when I saw the first picture I could see why the regret.........and then the "after" pictures........Wow is right!!!

Sorry to see this happen to anyone's pride and joy, as others have mentioned, thankfully everyone is safe..........but that loss has to be hard to get a grasp on.

Owning the car since new is different from now buying used.......that is the reality, you can find one that meets your requirements, but it is still used at this point. <<There is nothing the matter with "used", but you knew the exact history with your original car, that is something that tied you to it tightly.

Good luck with your search, I know what you are saying about the "turn dial shifter" on the 2020, and they are up there in price..........but they are still cool in my opinion, and "mash the pedal and point" might be quite fun.

R

Last edited:

Spudz

Established Member

Imatk

Established Member
Damn man I just saw this... I hope everything is working out for you on the insurance. So sorry that happened, glad you guys are alright and the dogs are alright.

Tob

Salut!
Super Moderator
Good luck moving forward OP. You have a great attitude given what you are going through. I hope you get what you want.

Users who are viewing this thread