Death of ICE

SecondhandSnake

Established Member
Looking for some insight here.

With this heavy push to electric vehicles, I have yet to hear anybody talk about people who park on the street, or in parking lots such as apartments. It is obviously easy to charge your car in your garage, but what percent of people do not have access to a garage/private property for charging?

Will there be outlets at every parking space on every street or in every apartment complex? Even if there were electrical charging stations on the street you must now have some way of the user paying for it unless they plan on giving us the electricity for free LOL! I can also imagine there being theft or vandalism of charging cords due to the copper inside. They're stealing catalytic converters already.

They had an electric car service around here for awhile (of course it went under after a year or so). They had designated spaces with chargers like parking meters. Not too difficult from that aspect.

Now it's easy when you just have a handful of cars. When you have dozens upon dozens...then you need big infrastructure upgrades. We've got one location that's only dealing with a few vehicles and it needs a whole new substation. And that's just one location in an entire neighborhood.

If I were to speculate, I would anticipate a combination of slower overnight charging installed in houses and curbside, and fast charging stations. The big question is if the manufacturers will follow Tesla's lead with captive stations with proprietary technology, or if it will be a standardized thing like current fuel stations.

Weather Man

Persistance Is A Bitch
Established Member
With my home addition, I had them put a stage 2 220v outlet on the garage wall since everything was opened up and easy to route.

blk02edge

Established Member

With this heavy push to electric vehicles, I have yet to hear anybody talk about people who park on the street, or in parking lots such as apartments. It is obviously easy to charge your car in your garage, but what percent of people do not have access to a garage/private property for charging?

Will there be outlets at every parking space on every street or in every apartment complex? Even if there were electrical charging stations on the street you must now have some way of the user paying for it unless they plan on giving us the electricity for free LOL! I can also imagine there being theft or vandalism of charging cords due to the copper inside. They're stealing catalytic converters already.
They are already everywhere in condo/apartment buildings here, cost is just added to rent/strata fees. They are being added as demand rises.

People who park on the street though... Dont know the solution to that yet.

thomas91169

# of bans = 5203
Established Member

Yes and no.

The benefit many see of EV's for people that have garages and can buy a charger and charge their cars overnight, which is good and fine. However, nobody has a gas pump in their garage to fill up. So by that token, I don't expect to see many self-charging outlets at homes, on streets similarly the way you dont see gas pumps at these places either.

Alternatively, I bet we see more retail places or parking lots/structures with charging spots, which is already happening. Larger luxury apt complexes too might throw on a few charging spots. They will love to get in on the profit per kw they can make since its much easier to install a plug pump than a gas pump (needing huge storage tanks).

To go with that, Elon was on the JRE podcast about a month ago and id say he believes the necessity for having a car that can do 500mi+ on a single charge is nearly zero, especially if the charging time can be cut to near minutes for near full charges in the near future. He made a good point, in that you are adding unnecessary weight just so you can fill up less often, which makes sense since he is literally more into EV's for performance factor and pushing the boundaries and focusing on what is really important with driving them than just building the same cars but with electric drive instead of ICE. In that ill give him some credit, he is going to do to cars what Apple did to mobile devices (IE focus on the user experience and what makes sense). If most businesses put up chargers in even 25% of the parking spots and charging time is 2-3min to get 90% battery life back and it costs $3-$5, you don't need 500mi range, you can dial back the battery size and be just fine with 100-150mi range and have a lighter car/more performance.

BigPoppa

Hope you enjoy the show
Established Member
To be quite honest, the demand will push innovation like it did with LEDs.

We've just discovered graphene as a superconductor and the application of it is moving quite rapidly. That, solid state batteries, supercapacitors, and other technology is in its infancy. With a short amount of development time compared to the past, these discoveries will provide leaps forward in EV tech.

thomas91169

# of bans = 5203
Established Member
Pipe dream. Or conversely, wrestle an industrial arc furnace cable onto your car, not likely. Would be fun to watch I suppose.

Is it? Telsa site says like 20min for 50% charge currently on a 85kWh model. If battery size is reduced to a quarter that or thereabouts as Elon is suggesting, then that's 5min for 50% charge/10min for 100%, and that's with current charging tech. I don't see halving the charging times out of the realm of possibility in the near future.

Rb0891

Established Member
Premium Member
Is it? Telsa site says like 20min for 50% charge currently on a 85kWh model. If battery size is reduced to a quarter that or thereabouts as Elon is suggesting, then that's 5min for 50% charge/10min for 100%, and that's with current charging tech. I don't see halving the charging times out of the realm of possibility in the near future.
If the battery is 25% of that, won't the mileage be 50-70 miles? I don't think that is how they intend to halve the charging time.

Relaxed Chaos

Just another Gen X Hero
Established Member
Premium Member
I can fuel up 300 miles in about 3 minutes.

Would need megawatt chargers to do that with electrons, and that is an amazingly dangerous amount of voltage and current for the average doofus to deal with, not to mention the battery tech and cooling required to compete.

There are potential benefits in power wheels, such as much lower motor/transmission maintenance, potential super long drivetrain life, and nearly no performance loss over that long and boring life.

Squeezed out with help from the svtperformance.com mobile app

Weather Man

Persistance Is A Bitch
Established Member

Range anxiety is already a major reason people won't buy EV's, Elon thinking people will buy less range is wishful thinking. They want to make the batteries smaller because the cost of the things that go into batteries is going to sky rocket due to scarcity, and ol Elon knows it.

CobraBob

Authorized Vendor
Established Member
Premium Member
Single Barrel Sirs
I agree that range is way up there in the minds of most. Higher performing ICEs render lower MPG resulting in more trips to the gas station to re-fuel. But that re-fueling takes less than five minutes to fill the tank. People IMO will want an electric vehicle to fully re-charge in about that same time frame for these cars to really become mainstream. Battery performance, re-charging speed and design are three very important components for the success of EVs IMO.

VRYALT3R3D

Show me your Members
Established Member
Range anxiety is already a major reason people won't buy EV's, Elon thinking people will buy less range is wishful thinking. They want to make the batteries smaller because the cost of the things that go into batteries is going to sky rocket due to scarcity, and ol Elon knows it.
What is the average commute in the US? Look that figure up and realize that range anxiety is overblown.

Rb0891

Established Member
Premium Member
What is the average commute in the US? Look that figure up and realize that range anxiety is overblown.
It may be overblown, but it is reality. Covid fear is overblown, but it is in fact reality.

OX1

Established Member

How many gas stations are there in the United States?

No such thing as range anxiety, just range deficiency.

Fat Boss

Established Member
Tesla has there own chargers and they don't work on other cars. Musk is no dummy. Like Amazon we have everything

This is only half true. It's true that the Supercharger network will only work on Teslas. But, a TON of the destination chargers like the ones at hotels, etc. can be used with an adapter with pretty much all EV's.

TeslaTap

Weather Man

Persistance Is A Bitch
Established Member
Tesla has there own chargers and they don't work on other cars. Musk is no dummy. Like Amazon we have everything

Tesla is now less than 2% of the EU market share of EV sales now. Tesla owners have to use the adapter because they are different than everyone else and it is not an advantage. The avalanche of inbound USA EV's use a standard charger, not being standard will end up hurting Tesla in the end.

NasteeNate

2V Warrior
Established Member
I’m surprised that no one mentioned synthetic fuels being a alternative to the “EV Push.” I recently viewed a video from Donut Media talking about this topic and I thought it was interesting. Apparently Audi and recently Porsche pursing the fuel alternative for ICE cars instead of eliminating them completely. Lastly, I do agree at the end of the day globalists don’t give a darn about EV or making the planet greener, it’s about total control on every aspect of your life.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Users who are viewing this thread