Degreeing Comp Cams with Engine in Car - Pics Inside

03Steve

Established Member
This wasn't too bad, but I wouldn't recommend it. The rocker arms removal/installation is the biggest PITA.

The work shown here is on BLK_03's twin turbo 03 Cobra. Doing a quick cam timing inspection before heading out to the GT500/Terminator Shootout at the 2014 NMRA World Finals in Bowling Green, KY. Went from degree wheel to engine reassembled in 24 hours. Lots of work!

If anyone has any questions about the joy of cam degreeing a 4V with the engine in the bay feel free to ask:

IMG_3128_zpscb99b9f3.jpg

IMG_3132_zps73066f3e.jpg

IMG_3133_zps159ccf44.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

speeddemon2000

Established Member
How are you adjusting the cams. Do you file the slot for the keyway in the gear some?

I din't degree my cams during my build but I am running stock cams. Next time around I will definitely switch up the cams and degree anything.

I wonder sometime if this is cost me power and how much.

03Steve

Established Member
For the exhaust cams we file the key on the primary gear and shim with welding rod. ARP 12mm bolt, hardened washers/spacers, 160ft/lbs. Intake cams are keyless gears. Position with locking the cam into place and turning the crank to the desired centerline. ARP 12mm bolt, hardened washers/spacers, 160ft/lbs.

Users who are viewing this thread