Denso Irridium IT22's too cold for 14lbs?

CobraBob

Authorized Vendor
Established Member
Premium Member
Single Barrel Sirs
Please get this confirmed, but I believe the IT22s should be good. I still have my IT20s and I'm very happy with them. It was recommended that I switch to IT22s (others said to stick with the IT20s) so I decided not to. As far as the gap, I know with the IT20s a gap of .034-035 is recommended with my mods. If yours are similar I'd say that's the gap to go with. I'm at 14 lbs. boost. With less boost you'd go with .038-040.

mnypit

Established Member
Originally posted by CobraBob
Please get this confirmed, but I believe the IT22s should be good. I still have my IT20s and I'm very happy with them. It was recommended that I switch to IT22s (others said to stick with the IT20s) so I decided not to. As far as the gap, I know with the IT20s a gap of .034-035 is recommended with my mods. If yours are similar I'd say that's the gap to go with. I'm at 14 lbs. boost. With less boost you'd go with .038-040.

I agree. I too run IT20's gapped at .034" and I see about 14psi with my Apten blower and 2.76" upper. No issues at all.

Steve

Cobra10thaniv

Established Member
Out of curiosity have you thought about the new NGK iridium that just came out. I hear they have a larger electrode which makes the chance of breaking a insulator less.

CountySoldier

500 RWHP SVT COBRA
Established Member
SO WHAT PLUG IS BEST FOR A 2.80 NPULLEY, CAI, PREDATOR AND BBK X-PIPE? I AM GOING TO INSTALL THESE THIS WEEK. PLEASE HELP ON A PLUG TYPE.

BigDaddy

Established Member
I know from experience that plugs can make some difference( not in Real HP terms) but in detonation terms etc.

But I've noticed quite a bit of spark plug talk on this board and have yet to hear anyone have a bad experience with a plug.

Its just my opinion, but I think some people get to caught up tinkering with their cars (granted: their choice/freedom.)

If you are running some added boost run a heat range cooler and be done with it. In many cases a spark is a spark! Going from .035gap to .036 isn't going to change squat. The Humidity and day to day changes in the air makes much more of a difference than these subtle plug adjustments.

Come-on guys whats next?....stickers adding Horsepower.....it's starting to smell like rice in here.

:)

wuplash

Established Member
i have been running the it22 plugs with no problems.i at first had a set gapped at .035 and my dyno sheet showed i had some spark blowout up top so i purchased a new set gapped at .030 have not redynoed it yet.i do show 14lbs boost and on a 35 degree day will show 14.25 lbs.

CobraBob

Authorized Vendor
Established Member
Premium Member
Single Barrel Sirs
Sounds like BigDaddy needs an tutorial in spark plug basics. :lol1:

cobrapete03'

Sonic Blue Intimidator
Established Member
Originally posted by BigDaddy
I know from experience that plugs can make some difference( not in Real HP terms) but in detonation terms etc.

Agreed, who wants holes in their pistons.

But I've noticed quite a bit of spark plug talk on this board and have yet to hear anyone have a bad experience with a plug.

Just read a bit. Theres a lot of discussions here about spark plugs and problems some have experienced with them

Its just my opinion, but I think some people get to caught up tinkering with their cars (granted: their choice/freedom.)

Of course, it the american way. What better car to tinker on than the most powerful factory mustang ever to leave Detroit.

If you are running some added boost run a heat range cooler and be done with it. In many cases a spark is a spark! Going from .035gap to .036 isn't going to change squat. The Humidity and day to day changes in the air makes much more of a difference than these subtle plug adjustments.

As a general rule I wouldn't just go with ONE hear range cooler just because you can. There should be a little thought and effort in identifying which components will work the best with your setup. Sometimes its a little trial and error in finding the best combination.(i.e. Heat Range)

Come-on guys whats next?....stickers adding Horsepower.....it's starting to smell like rice in here.

The only stickers I put on end up on my workbench or toolbox where they belong, how about u.

-pete:coolman:

Last edited:

CobraBob

Authorized Vendor
Established Member
Premium Member
Single Barrel Sirs
Pete, I do have ONE good sticker that added at least 10 rwhp -- my production number sticker I put in the engine compartment. LOL! I actually should have gone with a slightly smaller version which would have netted me another 2-3 hp. Seriously, though, thanks for your spark plug comments. They were good ones. I was just too lazy to try to say it myself, and you did it so much better than I could have.
:)

Last edited:

B03Cobra

SVT G0D
Established Member
I tried Deno's twice, both times they fouled, I think for the price they are junk, again this is just my experience. NGK's, or the ford stuff is the best way to go IMHO. I was actually amazed by how quickly the plugs would foul.

cobrapete03'

Sonic Blue Intimidator
Established Member
Originally posted by B03Cobra
I tried Deno's twice, both times they fouled, I think for the price they are junk, again this is just my experience. NGK's, or the ford stuff is the best way to go IMHO. I was actually amazed by how quickly the plugs would foul.

How many # boost were u running?...What Denso plugs were u running with the combo? ITXX's? Thanks

-pete:coolman:

B03Cobra

SVT G0D
Established Member
IT22's, with around 16lbs... SHRUG. Should be the right combo... Just didnt have the luck.

69gt4speed

Svt God of All
Established Member
I have the motocraft 12's never a problem with blowout look nice and tan. got just what you are going to do. if it isn't broke don't fix it.

CobraBob

Authorized Vendor
Established Member
Premium Member
Single Barrel Sirs
I installed my Denso IT20s last April. I just pulled them two weeks ago to re-gap them and the color was fine. I would definitely use them again but obviously others prefer other brands which are equal in quality/performance in my opinion.

Users who are viewing this thread