Design “revisions”

mustangc

This too shall pass
Established Member
I saw in the Ford Performance Email today an article that talked about the small details they have changed between the time the vehicle was unveiled and when it went into production. Basically, they highlighted three changes. Two of which I hate and the third I can’t notice.

1) Chrome Outline around the Mach 1 fender badge to make it easier to see on dark colored cars. My take: The new font and dark (magnetic?) badging made the new Mach 1 badges have a touch of modern with a hint of history. Now with the Chrome outline, they just look like pure 60’s-70’s Retro. I liked the prototype badges a lot better.

2) The lower perimeter of the upper grill was changed from Magnetic to low gloss black (aka molded plastic). This is claimed by Ford to give the car an even more sinister look. My take: I loved the two tone treatment of the gloss black grill with the magnetic surround. It matched the magnetic spoiler on the handling package cars and was a very attractive detail that stood out to me. It seems Ford is cutting corners already and using a flat black that will look cheap and less refined than the Magnetic. No word on if this will make the Handling Pack spoiler ‘low gloss black’ as well, but either way it’s a bad move.

3) They supposedly revised the front of the side stripe, but looking at pic’s it is hard to tell the difference. It might match the contour of the wheel well a little better but it’s really hard to tell from the pics I’ve seen.

Anyone else have any thoughts on these preproduction changes?

Recon

Established Member
Should’ve left it alone but it’s not the end of the world. Improved the badges.

Pick your poison.

STLR FN

My Wiener's Covered
Established Member
2021-Ford-Mustang-Mach-1-New-Design-Infographic.jpg

Bdubbs

u even lift bro?
Established Member
Premium Member
The only thing I can think of when I see the front bumper on these new mustangs, is a catfish.

Sent from my Moto E (4) Plus using Tapatalk

mustangc

This too shall pass
Established Member
Actually, here is the updated side sticker. Quite a bit different than the original prototype, and I can’t say I like it as much, but YMMV.
CA9712D1-DF5C-437E-8C44-63ED21C4F99B.jpeg

CobraBob

Authorized Vendor
Established Member
Premium Member
Single Barrel Sirs
The only thing I can think of when I see the front bumper on these new mustangs, is a catfish.

You're spot on correct, Brady. We've often heard the 1998 - 2002 Camaro nicknamed a "catfish" because of the front grill. The new Mach 1 holds the new title, aided by its lower fascia design.

Ford missed it with the front end IMO. That graphic (yellow Mach) makes the canopy look abnormally small compared to the body. It's probably just the graphic, but it just looks off. The tires/wheels look too big; the proportions of the graphic just look odd.

01yellercobra

AKA slo984now
Established Member
I used to live by an Aston Martin dealer. One day I was sitting at the light with my daughter and suddenly realized they all have fish mouths. I said something to my daughter and she agreed. Ruined the cars for me.

Bdubbs

u even lift bro?
Established Member
Premium Member
You're spot on correct, Brady. We've often heard the 1998 - 2002 Camaro nicknamed a "catfish" because of the front grill. The new Mach 1 holds the new title, aided by its lower fascia design.

Ford missed it with the front end IMO. That graphic (yellow Mach) makes the canopy look abnormally small compared to the body. It's probably just the graphic, but it just looks off. The tires/wheels look too big; the proportions of the graphic just look odd.
Exactly my thoughts as well Bob. I honestly can't think of a newer mustang that I actually like.

Users who are viewing this thread