Detailing rant

Mach1USMC

SVT Powered
Established Member
Been detailing for a long time (20+ years) - professionally for about 4 years. I'm so tired of car washers calling themselves detailers- note: there is nothing wrong with being a car washer. But if that's all you do then don't call yourself a detailer!!

Case in point- I got called for an interview for a "detail" company out of Orlando that happens to have a shop in Jacksonville. I responded to their ad and sent my business page. They said they were impressed with my work and wanted to bring me on board - he went on to talk about my duties; wash, wax, trim dress, windows and vacuum. I asked about interior stain removal, claybar, polishing etc.... no, just a basic wash, hand wax, application of trim dress, windows and vac..... bro- I hate to be the bearer of bad news, but that is NOT detailing!! Stop telling people you're a detailer because your effing it up for people who actually DETAIL!!

Rant over!! lol

* - oh yeah, almost forgot. Why on earth would you hand wax if you have a machine that can do the job faster and better? WTH? Detailer? Yeah right!

Last edited:

NastyGT500

Naples Premier Detailer!
Established Member
Most people do not know the difference and believe they are getting 'detailed' when they bring them to these establishments. Also the 'hand wax' advertising makes most people feel like it is done with care and takes time...thus, a good job!

Take it easy, they have their place in the market and aren't going anywhere! LOL

Grabber

Yep...
Established Member
I prefer to apply and buff wax by hand vs. machine, for the record.

For Sealant, I use a machine to do so.

Applying wax by hand is more natural and will be applied evenly in my experience. I use Zymol Concours and apply by hand.

sounds like the guys you interviewed with are idiots and just want a guy that stands on the other side of the car washes for cars coming through to dry them off and do a quick spray down, lol.

Mach1USMC

SVT Powered
Established Member
So far I've turned down 3 jobs asking for detailers but really wanted minimum wage car washers. Today I interviewed (and got the job) to manage a detail shop at a large dealership. It's definitely closer to washing in the classic sense than detailing - but it's a major operation as opposed to Pookie and Moe's on the side of the parking lot "detail" shop. AND most importantly the $ is right and there are possible promotions in the future. So it works out.

While I will apply paste waxes by hand I will apply bottled liquid waxes/sealants by Machine. So much faster and the coverage is even throughout.

I definitely love those car washers because you're absolutely right. They keep real detailers in business. Case in point when I was in Japan a "detailer" started advertising their on base and off base services. I had about a dozen customers try them because they were a bit less than half my prices. Needless to say I got several calls from a dozen very pissed off customers asking me to fix the swirls etc that this hack installed in their paint. I felt very vindicated.

I feel bad that I won't be able to provide the same level of service I personally give my private customers - on the other hand at a stealership, time is money. I'll teach the proper techniques as best I can and make sure the proper tools are employed to mitigate swirls. But having worked at a stealership before sometimes you just have to bust them out. It sucks. But it pays

That sounds so hypocritical doesn't it. Dammit!!!

mcate

Established Member
Nah, not hypocritical. A man's gotta earn a living! I get people all the time telling me I should open a shop or detail full time. But detailing is my passion. I do a few cars a year (19 last year) & enjoy doing them, as well as the extra bucks. If I did it full time I'm afraid I'd get burnt out. You got a good gig with promotion potential. Sounds like a winner to me.

HudsonFalcon

Established Member
Just keep doing your thing OP. The fly-by-nights will get weeded out over time while you continue to build your customer base.

oldmodman

Established Member
The "fly by nights" will never get weeded out.

Because there is always another hack coming up behind them.

Whenever I am washing a car outside there is always some neighbor that drops by and asks me why I bother to do it myself.

I no longer even bother giving them an answer. And don't get me started on the shit I have heard while I am doing a full correction.

99+% of people just don't give a crap about swirls, holograms, rids, or anything other than a temporary shine smeared over the top of their paint.

But I sure love working on the cars belonging to that other 1/2%.

The truth is most people have never seen the difference between a legitimate detail vs. those 3hr detailing specials you see offered by 'detailing shops' or what you can accomplish out in your driveway.

At one point, I also didn't think there really was a difference. But learned a lot in this section and watching CG's website and learning how to use products and its incredible what a legit detail does to a car. And I'm just a rookie. So I can only imagine how much more frustrated you more experienced guys get when it comes to being able to offer someone a legit professional detail. Not easy work. Most people aren't going to pay for a pro detail though. Its an uphill battle trying to sell a pro detail to people.

BladeX10

Established Member
Lol. If you think that is bad, A few years ago, A dealership was looking for a detailer, I applied and set up an interview. I had brought a folder of jobs i've done over the last few years. The manager was impressed blah blah blah. I get hired and come back for a 2nd interview with the GM to discuss pay. They wanted to give me .50 above minimum wage. My jaw about hit the floor and i laughed. I decided to just go along with it, Did a tour of the place and went back to the "detailer" area. What i saw was absolutely mind blogging.

I seen a bucket of dark pink water that was suppose to be neon pink but they dont dump it out until the end of the day, I seen them using wooden BROOMS to scrum down the cars with. I seen improper drying techniques. They want people to wash cars/vacuum and dry them in like 2 mins flat.

Still, I decided to stick it out because what the hell? I lasted 4 days before i just couldnt take it and walked out. The fact i had to be trained by a "detailer" to do that hack job bullshit was really a mind****. It was that moment when i decided i'd rather keep detailing an exclusive service for enthusiast cars and my own.

Mach1USMC

SVT Powered
Established Member
Lol. If you think that is bad, A few years ago, A dealership was looking for a detailer, I applied and set up an interview. I had brought a folder of jobs i've done over the last few years. The manager was impressed blah blah blah. I get hired and come back for a 2nd interview with the GM to discuss pay. They wanted to give me .50 above minimum wage. My jaw about hit the floor and i laughed. I decided to just go along with it, Did a tour of the place and went back to the "detailer" area. What i saw was absolutely mind blogging.

I seen a bucket of dark pink water that was suppose to be neon pink but they dont dump it out until the end of the day, I seen them using wooden BROOMS to scrum down the cars with. I seen improper drying techniques. They want people to wash cars/vacuum and dry them in like 2 mins flat.

Still, I decided to stick it out because what the hell? I lasted 4 days before i just couldnt take it and walked out. The fact i had to be trained by a "detailer" to do that hack job bullshit was really a mind****. It was that moment when i decided i'd rather keep detailing an exclusive service for enthusiast cars and my own.

Interesting observation, I had the same thought this week .... so my first day on the job the owner of the dealership asked me to "detail" (wash) his 2015 3500 dually he used to tow his race cars - he was going to sell it to another dealership because it had a few nicks/scratches etc. After I washed it down and looked at the scratches and "love marks" I got a hold of the owner and said I could fix them. He's like ok- this is your audition. Show me what you got. Long story short, and 6 hours later, the dealership owner comes over and can't believe the transformation. Not only did he call the other dealership and say he was going to keep it on his lot for sale, he put the truck on the front line on the road. - I then got a call from the VP of the company I work for- he promoted me to area manager. I'm going to be going to 20 separate shops to make sure they are doing things correctly. I'm stoked to be able to influence a new generation of detailers on everything to proper wash technique to polishing.

But I saw the same things you're talking about. Buckets with dirty wash water. No grit guards. Using brushes to wash cars. Using shammies to dry instead of MF towels. All the things that I hate about "cookie cutter" car washes - and I get to change all that and train them to do it properly!

Last edited:

hoamskilet

Established Member
Interesting observation, I had the same thought this week .... so my first day on the job the owner of the dealership asked me to "detail" (wash) his 2015 3500 dually he used to tow his race cars - he was going to sell it to another dealership because it had a few nicks/scratches etc. After I washed it down and looked at the scratches and "love marks" I got a hold of the owner and said I could fix them. He's like ok- this is your audition. Show me what you got. Long story short, and 6 hours later, the dealership owner comes over and can't believe the transformation. Not only did he call the other dealership and say he was going to keep it on his lot for sale, he put the truck on the front line on the road. - I then got a call from the VP of the company I work for- he promoted me to area manager. I'm going to be going to 20 separate shops to make sure they are doing things correctly. I'm stoked to be able to influence a new generation of detailers on everything to proper wash technique to polishing.

But I saw the same things you're talking about. Buckets with dirty wash water. No grit guards. Using brushes to wash cars. Using shammies to dry instead of MF towels. All the things that I hate about "cookie cutter" car washes - and I get to change all that and train them to do it properly!
That's awesome man. Congrats

R.D.P.

Extra Sprinkles
Established Member

If you really want to make a difference, you probably going to have to roll some people out. You will likely be able to tell the ones that have a legit interest in doing good work and the ones that don't give a **** and will have the dirty buckets and scrub brushes out as soon as you aren't here. If it were me - I would check their personal rides and see how they treat them :)

Users who are viewing this thread