detonation=burning smell?

PearlBlue L

Still Around
Established Member
never experienced detonation before. i went to the track on the 1st for the first time with the kb. truck ran fine then i drove an hour back home. didnt drive the truck anywhere yesterday just up and down the drive way is all moving it. got into it today to drive 10 minutes to work. got to a light and a new charger was next to me and the guy was edgeing up waiting for the green. i of course took him and around 40 he nailed it being pissed just to pass me and then slam on his brakes. we were both getting on the highway about 1/4 mile up the road is all so i waited and was gonna let him try to take off once we got onto the highway. so we both enter and he takes off, i go to follow and then go to pass and my truck was around 10#'s and i started smelling a smokey smell and the truck wouldnt go like it normally does so i let off and let him proceed to think he was faster. so im curious if i experienced detonation or not. it sucks when something happens to your truck and someone gets away thinking they just won a race, exspecially a f*cking dodge :kaboom:

PearlBlue L

Still Around
Established Member
LightningMAS said:
u would be okay, but i suggest get colder plugs like denso it-22 or denso it-24
i have denso IT-22's right now. just didnt want to have to order plugs and wait for them to arrive is all. maybe il have to order some once i get home from work tonight

Fade 2 Black

Gen 2 Diehard
Established Member
You can't beat the TR6 for the money I have been running them all along and just replaced them after 25K without problems. Gap them at .036" and don't forget the antisieze and torque them to 7-15 lb. ft. I may try the BR7's when the built motor goes in-they are a range colder than the 6's-for the times when I want to run higher boost (over 15-16 #'s). If you haven't already I suggest doing the EGR delete also. Let us know what you find when you pull the plugs out.

PearlBlue L

Still Around
Established Member
LightningMAS said:
detonation is pinging noise... u got a good tune for it???
yea the tune is good, just didnt know if maybe i burnt up a plug or something and got some bad smell when the boost increased

silversvt02

OIL FIELD BABY!!!!
Established Member
what kind of "smokey" smell? Was you ac, fan or heater on. Does your truck still idle fine? Is it still not wanting to speed up like normal?

PearlBlue L

Still Around
Established Member
silversvt02 said:
what kind of "smokey" smell? Was you ac, fan or heater on. Does your truck still idle fine? Is it still not wanting to speed up like normal?
it was like a burning smell. my heater was on the second speed setting... once i started to smell it i turned the fan on high and tried to see if i could smell it anymore but i couldnt from the heater. the truck idles the same and drives fine until i get up to like 10#'s of boost.

PearlBlue L

Still Around
Established Member
silversvt02 said:
also any noises
i had the radio on at first and then the exhuast so i couldnt hear anything. i turned off the stereo and gave it some more gas trying to hear anything but couldnt

ronnie

Will work for Truck Parts
Established Member
You would be fine with TR-6 on a built motor running 15 pounds of boost and even with a race tune with high boost. I am thinking about the BR7's when I start to spray it though. I wonder if I will pick up a couple MPH out of the quarter trap with it on spray.

Users who are viewing this thread