different mod process

rwboring

Established Member
I know everyone is going to say who cares about gas mileage however we also know we can get decent mileage when off the throttle. An increase and power and fuel mileage is just that much more of a positive... (not to mention most of my miles are highway)...

Question is what mods can we do that will increase gas mileage and not reduce it?

My quick list:
tune
intake
T/B
headers
cat-less mid pipe
(weight reduction but thats not really a mod)

Things that would hurt IMO would be spinning the blower more (increasing boost).

Van any thoughts?

raustin0017

Established Member
Okay...I'll be the 1st to jump in.
When you decrease intake restriction combined with increased outflow any engine will/should perform better and therefore get better mileage. In almost every vehicle I have owned simple steps such as a better air filter will increase mileage. Those gains are usually very slight but adds up over time/distance.

My 2014 has 3,200 miles on it and I have never re-set the fuel mileage and shows 14.8 mpg from day one. I guess if all my miles were highway it might get 20?

The only vehicle I have not touched in years is my wife's BMW 528i. It gets 32 mpg with the cruse control set at 80 mph.

rwboring

Established Member
Okay...I'll be the 1st to jump in.
When you decrease intake restriction combined with increased outflow any engine will/should perform better and therefore get better mileage. In almost every vehicle I have owned simple steps such as a better air filter will increase mileage. Those gains are usually very slight but adds up over time/distance.

My 2014 has 3,200 miles on it and I have never re-set the fuel mileage and shows 14.8 mpg from day one. I guess if all my miles were highway it might get 20?

The only vehicle I have not touched in years is my wife's BMW 528i. It gets 32 mpg with the cruse control set at 80 mph.

I don't know if I would say slight... I had a 2003 GT I ran on trips for a long time and with X-pipe, cat back and tune it gained over 2mpg... to me getting the cat's out are huge as well as going with a 93 tune over a base 91...

when I think minimal I would say lowering springs because of air resistance, while you have the same frontal area and Cd you also have less air going under the car... but that is a drop in the bucket compared to something like a tune...

Last edited:

Ky GT500

Established Member
Can't keep my foot out of mine long enough to check mileage. Heading to Charlotte in April, might try for mileage then. :burnout:

rwboring

Established Member
Can't keep my foot out of mine long enough to check mileage. Heading to Charlotte in April, might try for mileage then. :burnout:

i got as advertised on a trip from IN to WV... going from IN to NC and back I averaged over 20 for the trip... but I wasn't so nice to it at times...

1TUF14SHELBY

Established Member
Narrower tires with low rolling resistance! My 05 GT dropped about 2mpg moving from the 235 17" P Zero Nero's to 255 18" summer tires. So do the opposite and you'd pick up some MPG's!

Users who are viewing this thread