Dipstick leak, how to remove! ?

Quicktime_GT

Established Member
I've had a small oil leak for several months now, Today I finally took time to look for it, and with a clean engine running you can see oil coming out from where the dipstick goes into the block.

I have removed the bracket from the cylinder head to free the dipstick, but when trying to pull it out, the bend in the stick binds against the head! I can get the dipstick out far enough to see the o-ring and found that it was split in half so at least I've found the issue.

So, any tips on how to remove the dipstick to replace the o-ring?

Thanks,
Neil

TRBO VNM

Pop off the motor mount dip stick comes out 123 easiest way i have found

Won't the exhaust manifold get in the way?

OP, do you have long tubes or still stock manifolds? If I recall, you need to take the manifold off if you are still running the stock logs.

Brutal DSG

Angry Turtle
Established Member
Won't the exhaust manifold get in the way?

OP, do you have long tubes or still stock manifolds? If I recall, you need to take the manifold off if you are still running the stock logs.

Comes out with the stock logs did one 2 weeks ago popped off the mount and right out. It tucks behind the manifold and mount closer to the mount so wiggle room is limited until the mount is off :beer:

Quicktime_GT

Established Member
Thanks guys!

Yes, the car has manifolds.

I'll go ahead and pull the motor mount off the next time I have a chance and take care of it.

Quicktime_GT

Established Member
So i've got both motor mount nuts off, when I try to jack the engine up (both by the bell housing, and by the little bracket in front of the oil pan) it tries to pull the k member up with it. I can't get any room to remove the damn motor mount.

I've tried slightly bending the dip stick in so that it clears the cylinder head, but no luck.

Worse case scenario, is there any type of silicone / sealant that I could just put on the dip stick?

Quicktime_GT

Established Member
still not having any luck raising the engine from the K member..

I've about halfass decided to do a tubular k member / a arm / coil over swap and just drop the whole thing

03mgtermi

Established Member
still not having any luck raising the engine from the K member..

I've about halfass decided to do a tubular k member / a arm / coil over swap and just drop the whole thing

i was just about to suggest that you take the whole k-member loose.

i just finished a long tube install that i did by dropping the k member and associated pieces and parts. obviously to change the header the dipstick and motor mounts had to go. once everything was out of the way the dipstick came out pretty easily. there is one sticking point in it but a good tug and it comes loose.

honestly, i'm sure there is a weird way to get it out without removing the front half of the car, but i doubt its worth the time and trouble to find it.

Quicktime_GT

Established Member
^Thanks..

This is pretty ridiculous...

Looking back, I would have smeared some silicone on it, and let it wait until this winter haha

Users who are viewing this thread