Dipstick popping out?

Coiled03

Established Member
Got the oil changed in my 3.5L EB at the dealer today. Don't judge me lol.

Anyhow, I'm driving home on the highway, look in the rear view mirror and realize I'm blowing blue smoke everywhere. It seemed to stop, so I drove it the rest of the way home about another 5 or 10 minutes. I realized after the fact it probably stopped because I wasn't in boost any more. I was going up a hill when it was blowing smoke, and it stopped when the road leveled off.

Anyhow, I get home, pop the hood, and see the dipstick sticking out of the guide tube a good 3 or 4 inches. I don't know if it popped out from crankcase pressure, or if the dealership left it out, or what. Is this a known issue on EB engines?

Mojo88

"Hammer" Time
Established Member
Perhaps they somehow obstructed the PCV line. I mistakenly did this once in a supercharged Pontiac and it built up some serious crankcase pressure, LOL.

Put the dipstick back in and drive around again, and see what happens. If it pops out then you know there is excessive crankcase pressure, then you need to figure out what caused it.

Coiled03

Established Member
Perhaps they somehow obstructed the PCV line. I mistakenly did this once in a supercharged Pontiac and it built up some serious crankcase pressure, LOL.

Put the dipstick back in and drive around again, and see what happens. If it pops out then you know there is excessive crankcase pressure, then you need to figure out what caused it.

Well yeah, that's the plan. I have to drive about 20 miles tomorrow morning. I'll pop the hood when I'm done and see what I see.

Dealer **** up.
No oil all over under the hood?

Not that I can see, Brad. If there is, it's well hidden by the black heat shield. There's definitely some down by the dipstick tube, though, and I can easily see how it would've landed on the manifold.

EDIT: So, I did my drive this morning, and made sure to get into boost several times. I didn't see any more smoke, and when I arrived at my destination, the dipstick was still in place. Seems like it was definitely a dealer **** up, not putting it back in. I don't think there's anything wrong with the PCV system.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread