Disability Compensation Question

Un4GivN

QuenchMyThirstw/Gasoline
Established Member
A good buddy of mine's oldest boy just recently lost both of his legs to an IED in Afghanistan. With all of these organizations we have such as Wounded Warriors, it got me thinking just how well does our government take care of our wounded service men. The boy was a corporal in the Marines. I was curious just how well will they take care of him.

RDJ

ZERO shits given
Established Member
I have gone to the VA with my GF a bunch over the last few months. from what I have heard there (and on the news and stuff) care has gotten a lot better, but still has some growth room. I am sure someone will chime in with actual experience tho.

Un4GivN

QuenchMyThirstw/Gasoline
Established Member
I have gone to the VA with my GF a bunch over the last few months. from what I have heard there (and on the news and stuff) care has gotten a lot better, but still has some growth room. I am sure someone will chime in with actual experience tho.

Well, I was on the phone and typing this earlier and didn't explain quite as well as I should have. I was curious about both medical and monetary. There obviously won't be a lot of fields he'll be able to work in.

KingBlack

I'm more stupid than I post
Established Member
he should be fine, but the important thing is to be patient. Dont start with the "i know a congressman" thing because all it does is add another layer of paperwork. when they get involved, all claims stop and diverted elsewhere. He should rate 100% plus request CRSC.

be very careful with which service org you select. personally id say dont use one and just seek them for advice, not POA.

I am a combat veteran and disabled. The VA will take care o him just fine

KingBlack

Established Member
Well, I was on the phone and typing this earlier and didn't explain quite as well as I should have. I was curious about both medical and monetary. There obviously won't be a lot of fields he'll be able to work in.

He will get $3,000 a month plus GI Bill, and voc rehab. the 3k/month is for life and goes up with the cost of living.

if he goes to college, he will get:
3k/month -- disability and comp
1.3k housing -- E5 pay for BAH
tuition -- paid by VA
books -- $600/yr

he will get around 4500 a month for being a student. this will not and never could replace his legs but it helps.

ask me how i know all this

Eaglei532

Still kinda boot at this
Established Member
OP I'm also a cpl in the corps, my unit had a ridiculous amount amputees, 5 in my platoon alone. I have tons of info and can get ya'll in touch with the right people in the right services and programs if you need it. PM me if you need anything.

Lobo_Loco

La Mera Vena
Established Member
he should be fine, but the important thing is to be patient. Dont start with the "i know a congressman" thing because all it does is add another layer of paperwork. when they get involved, all claims stop and diverted elsewhere. He should rate 100% plus request CRSC.

be very careful with which service org you select. personally id say dont use one and just seek them for advice, not POA.

I am a combat veteran and disabled. The VA will take care o him just fine

^^^this...PLUS it been working out for me too....i havent worked in 4yrs...not because i dont want to but because im getting both VA comp and the GI/post 9/11(which will stop once i exhaust it)...so need to work for this guy until then...either way in the 4 yrs ive been able to get half way thru my Masters Degree...so I cant complain

computer_nerd

Established Member
^^^this...PLUS it been working out for me too....i havent worked in 4yrs...not because i dont want to but because im getting both VA comp and the GI/post 9/11(which will stop once i exhaust it)...so need to work for this guy until then...either way in the 4 yrs ive been able to get half way thru my Masters Degree...so I cant complain

same here.. im 60% rating, combat vet. they will take care of him, just may take some time. He will be fine.

MrWesson22

Established Member
I know this thread is a bit old, but make sure he also applies for TSGLI. As an amputee, he'll get it and will get a pretty large check. The VA also has funds for retrofitting cars for his specific needs.

KingBlack

Established Member
Just out of curiosity - once you reach 30% is that the "magic #" for medical retirement? Or are the AD military board and VA board completely different things?

they are 2 completely different things. but if you hit 30% from the AD board, you get tricare

Mach1USMC

SVT Powered
Established Member
they are 2 completely different things. but if you hit 30% from the AD board, you get tricare

Good to know- I go for my first board on Wed. From the research I've done I will be anywhere from 60%-100% based on my "condition." - praying for medical retirement vs medical separation.

KingBlack

Established Member
Good to know- I go for my first board on Wed. From the research I've done I will be anywhere from 60%-100% based on my "condition." - praying for medical retirement vs medical separation.

which board? im assuming AD. keep me updated....

Mach1USMC

SVT Powered
Established Member
which board? im assuming AD. keep me updated....

Med Board for AD. My ENT Dr. put me on my 6 month evaluation last week. I see the Dr. in charge of the board this wed. Not sure what to expect.

Thanks for your service btw.

OP- sorry to thread jack. From what I've heard loss of limb is usually very well compensated, as previously stated nothing can replace flesh but monetary compensation for life is the least they can do.

Mach1USMC

SVT Powered
Established Member
do you have sleep apnea? if you are on a c-pap thats automatically 50%. if not get on one asap

No sleep apnea thank goodness- I was diagnosed with Meneiere's Disease (Vertigo and tinnitus) and have 2-3 episodes a week lasting from 45 minutes to 48 hrs. Over a 10 yr period some patients (about 30%) recover. It's untreatable unfortunately. They can sometimes give you meds for the symptoms- but so far they haven't worked on me. I can't PT, hump. handle weapons or deploy. The Dr. just started my first 6 month eval- he says that most likely if my symptoms don't improve he will have no choice but to separate me medically. But under the new discharge rules the board doesn't have to wait 6 months- they can discharge at any time.

KingBlack

Established Member
I have tinnitus as well. Let me throw this nugget of info at you and every other vet:

Board: how often does your ears ring (tinnitus)?

You: 23 hrs 59 mins 59 seconds a day

Denied

Or

You: Constantly, it never stops

Approved.

Users who are viewing this thread