Discussion Time: When is an 03 no longer an 03

Xplicit

Su Corazón
Established Member
I've been tossing around this question with a few people and i want to see what the majority think. With all these mods we're all doing..when does an 03 lose it's identity of being an 03. I've read on other boards, and heard comments, merely swapping out the IRS and going to a live axle..it's no longer an 03. Even swapping the Eaton to a Kenne Bell makes this car lose it's identity. So what is the determining factor, if there is one, of when our cars are no longer an 03?

davidmax

Established Member
Mine is barely a Ford,but its still a thing of beauty,Dave Smilovic

bassin247

hates reposts
Established Member
As long as the vehicle has a VIN that cross references with the registry of motor vehicles as a 2003 Cobra it's a 2003 cobra.

It's kinda like shit.. Even if it doesn't look like shit or smell like shit, it's still shit.

esqeddy

VENUMUS
Established Member
I don't know where the line is. But there is one thing I can tell you for sure. If you put a Big Block Chevy under the hood, its lost its identity!

esqeddy

VENUMUS
Established Member
Originally posted by bassin247
As long as the vehicle has a VIN that cross references with the registry of motor vehicles as a 2003 Cobra it's a 2003 cobra.

It's kinda like shit.. Even if it doesn't look like shit or smell like shit, it's still shit.

LOLOL....just remember that hamburger you ate yesterday and shit today didn't look like shit or smell like shit when you ate it!!! Well, I guess that just depends on where you bought it!

:lol: :lol: :lol:

sambandit

SVT God
Established Member
My opinion, the aftermarket blowers dont bother me, but the solid axle and a automatic are 2 things I consider not 03ish. That being said, I may have a straight axle someday!

Rwick7

Established Member
Anything that makes it go faster is fine by me. I didn't buy it to collect it...I bought it to whoop ass :beer:

03DOHC

Established Member
Buy it, drive it, mod it. Kick some ass. Keep the chebby engine away please. :)

JKD COBRA

The 6th Deadly Venom
Established Member
Its hard to say. There are so many ways you can look at it. For example, if you have two cars: one is an automatic with a live axle but it still has the stock motor with a KB. Then the other car has the factory IRS and T56 but it has internal mods, or an aluminum block, or race only heads/cams or what have you. Which one is more of an 03?

Personally, I don't have many rules about what has to be on the car to make it an 03. I look at what the person has done to the car as a whole, I look at their whole combo and then I decide how much of an 03 it is.

Steel City

Banned
Originally posted by sambandit
My opinion, the aftermarket blowers dont bother me, but the solid axle and a automatic are 2 things I consider not 03ish. That being said, I may have a straight axle someday!

It will always be an 03 unless you do something really different. Going to a solid axle isn't enough to take away from the title of the car, it should have been an option if not standard equipment from the factory anyways. Nothing against the irs, I love mine but if your drag racing it's not the way to go.

SORRY GT WITH A COBRA MOTOR (Im sure your going to read this)!

:beer:

Surfnerv89

Fast?... Kinda
Established Member
I think as long as you keep an '03 engine in it, and keep the body looking like it is, it's an '03. A solid axle, or kenne bell, or automatic tranny are all just things to help an '03 perform better. It's hard to make it something else.

brad65ford

Ford Powered
Established Member
internal motor mods

Its all about the heart of the car, the motor (factory forged bottom end) thats the reason I bought the car. So if someone changes something to the motor aside from headers or different blower like heads/cam/porting/lifters/pistons/rods etc., its an 03 in my eyes.:beer:

RedfireVenom

11 Second Vert Club
Established Member
I don't know what you're talking about. An 03 is an 03. 10 years from now they will probably be known as Terminators. If you ripped of the VIN number and swaped the bumpers, IRS, interior, motor, spoiler, badges and everything else then maybe it will no longer be an 03.

JMD0346

Established Member
What????? I dont think there is a point when in essence it wont be an 03. There are too many parts that are 03 specific. If you did a tranny, rear end, suspension and engine swap it would still be an 03 with a tranny, rear end, suspension and engine swap.

Users who are viewing this thread