DIY Black Chrome Emblems

Bizarro

I lika do da chacha...
Established Member
OK, so here is the quick write up on the DIY Black Chrome Emblems. I can’t take credit for the idea however. I started doing searches for having the emblems actually “black chromed”, but just could not justify the $100 plus for just these three emblems. Especially considering I have the COBRA SS inserts on the back of the car I would want to give the same treatment. So, I ran across a DIY process over on acuraworld.com and talked to the guy who did the process – great guy.

Anyways, here are the tools you’ll need or may want to have on hand.

100_2445.jpg

You’ll obviously want to start off by pulling the emblems off the car. I’ve heard you can do that with dental floss or fishing line….go with the fishing line. I burned through half a roll of dental floss because it kept braking….I thought the florid covering would have helped…but no go :) that and my wife was a little upset when she went to go use it later that night…oops.

When you pull off the emblems, you’re gonna have something that looks kind of like this.

100_2442.jpg

So I started out by soaking the left over 3M tape with Goof Off and used a bondo knife.

100_2443.jpg

That didn’t work that well….so I used a microfiber towel soaked in Goof Off and just rubbed….it all eventually came off and only left a fait outline of dirt/wax/whatever.

100_2444.jpg

But take a couple of minutes to hit it with some clay and the outline is gone. Now, I took the SVT and the Ford Oval off the back as well. I’m moving the SVT over the holes where the Oval was, so I had to clean both spots very well so there was no ghost image of either. It took some work, but both spots are flawless looking.

After I removed all of the emblems, I grabbed a tupperware bowl and put some acetone in it (yeah, I got in trouble for that too). Put enough in it to cover up the emblems. This will almost immediately pull all of the paint off of the two cobras as well as pull all of the glue off the back of them and the SVT emblem. I used a light brush to just scrub the cobras to be sure all the paint was off of them. Once they’re clean of glue and paint, wash them off with soap and water and let them dry.
Once they’re dry, I covered them with some Alcohol to insure that all chemicals and oils are off them. Honestly, even when I handled them, I poured a little alcohol on my finger to make sure there was no oil put on the emblems.

After it all evaporated I held the emblems from the back with a pair of needle nose pliers and shot with the VHT Nigh Shades window tint stuff. I sprayed first around the outside of the emblems, then over the front. BE VERY CAREFUL TO DO LIGHT COATS!!! I had to redo this process once because I went too heavy with it. It will come out blotchy as crap if you go to thick.

With one light coat, they should look like this.

100_2448.jpg

Now, I want to see what they look like in natural light tomorrow before I say I’m done. But they look great to ME right now. I will look at them tomorrow and go from there. If they are too light, I will add a LIGHT second coat.

If they still look good, I’ll be putting the 3M on the back of em and slapping them on the car. THEN I’ll be pulling off the SS inserts to do them as well.

Total cost was about $20 - $30.
Yeah, it may scratch if a rock hits them or what have you…but being on the side of the car and the back, I don’t see it being an issue. If it does become an issue, maybe I’ll think about paying out the money to have them professionally done…until then….they look cool to me.

OK, that's it....once I get them installed, I'll update with a finished picture.

Last edited:

M.P. Cobra Fan

Are you my baby's momma?
Established Member
Thank you for doing this. I was gonna do the exact same write up for another board tomorrow. Now I can just link them here! lol. They look good.

Bizarro

I lika do da chacha...
Established Member
Thank you for doing this. I was gonna do the exact same write up for another board tomorrow. Now I can just link them here! lol. They look good.

Have you done it on your's?
In talking with the guy on the other site he said he hasn't had any issues with durability. I was curious if you've had any issues.

I'm thinking about putting my grill emblem back on the car done like this as well although I'm not a huge fan of the front emblem...heh.

M.P. Cobra Fan

Are you my baby's momma?
Established Member
I have not done the black chrome, but I have painted my emblems. My painted ones have held up great. They were flat black, now they are mineral grey. Someone from another board was asking if it could be done, so I was gonna take my horse and do it for him since I have the stuff here so he could see what it looked like without runing his emblem.

Predatorbird

Established Member
Are the holes for the emblems just to align them in the right spot? I've thought about buying a second set of emblems to paint black, but I'm worried I would put them on crooked or not in the exact same spot.

Bizarro

I lika do da chacha...
Established Member
The holes align the emblems, that is why there are two holes.

Yeah, what he said...
the only emblem that did NOT have the alignment holes was the "SVT" on the drivers side rear. If you put all of them back in their original spot, there is no way you can screw them up.
Now, if you plan on removing the Ford Oval and replacing it with the SVT emblem then yeah, you're going to have to measure in order to insure it's level....but it WILL cover the alignment holes from the Oval.

OK, I cleared the "SVT emblem. I'm going to wait and see how it looks when its dry....but as of right now, it killed a lot of the shine. I'm going to try another coat here in a little bit....but I'm anticipating having to re-do this emblem at this point - but we'll see.

Charles236

Established Member
I'm not sure about the clearcoat, but since you may have to do the SVT emblem again, you may want to try spraying a little bit heavier (wetter) coat on it first to see how it turns out. A wetter coat may give more shine when the clear flows out and evens itself, as opposed to the dry spray from a really light coat.

Bizarro

I lika do da chacha...
Established Member
I'm not sure about the clearcoat, but since you may have to do the SVT emblem again, you may want to try spraying a little bit heavier (wetter) coat on it first to see how it turns out. A wetter coat may give more shine when the clear flows out and evens itself, as opposed to the dry spray from a really light coat.

Yeah, no...lol....
Don't take that the wrong way, but up above I mentioned that the first time I sprayed everything I did what I would consider a Medium coat. Turned out blotchy and looked bad IMO. I then stripped all of the emblems down and did it again with a VERY light coat. Looked MUCH better and not blotchy.

I actually have the side Cobras looking the way I want now....the SVT I'm going to go out and look at and try to do another layer of clear to see if that may help. If not, it'll go back in the acetone and I'll start with from scratch on that one... :rockon:

:nonono:

I'm probably going to pull off the SS inserts this weekend to try and get them to work. I think they may be easier....but we'll see. Those I've never been a fan of, so if I just CAN'T get it to work, I'll clean them up and sell them.

Work in progress.

olgreydog7

Jaded
Established Member
Yea, that VHT stuff is weird. I did my taillights and the first time I did a heavier coat and it splotches BAD. You have to do it so light that you can't even tell it's there and just build it up.

Bizarro

I lika do da chacha...
Established Member
Yea, that VHT stuff is weird. I did my taillights and the first time I did a heavier coat and it splotches BAD. You have to do it so light that you can't even tell it's there and just build it up.

Yeah, it's touchy. The two Cobras are done and I have the 3M tape on it, but I need to trim them up with an X-acto knife. After that they should be ready to go on.

I actually redid the SVT two more times after my last post. That one is pissing me off a bit. I think it will turn out ok...I just don't have a great deal of patience (just being honest).

Any pics with them on the car?

I'm gonna try and get them installed tomorrow, but I have school, submission wrestling and I have to lift weights....tomorrow is just going to be long, so we'll see. I want these things back on the car so it dosn't look like I'm some goober with the bullit hole stickers on my car :dw:

Eh I appreciate it...it takes a minute to get used to this stuff and it's taken some time...BUT....I think it will look good in the long run.

As trying as it can be at times over all, I thnk its a pretty decent solution to paying for actual "black chrome".

Users who are viewing this thread