DIY: GT500 Rear Diff Service.

Status
Not open for further replies.

SVT_SRT8

Established Member
Drained and Rear filled my rear differential today, So here are some instructions for everyone. ( sorry about crappy pics I used a very shitty old camera)

I am not responsible for any problems or damage you may cause doing your personal install.

vehicle: 2009 GT500
miles:32,000
driven: very spiritedly!

Tools:
torque wrench (3/8's driver preferably)
ratchet(at least 1 3/8's drive)
small funnel + tubing or just buy the tool from auto-zone (like I did)
1/2 socket
15mm socket for over axle exhaust/muffler removal
scraper blade or flat wide chisel
flat blade screwdriver or small crowbar

Supplies:
RTV high temp gasket maker
shop towels/ rags
rubber gloves
eye protection helps
drain pan
cleaning solvent ( i used brake parts cleaner)
3 qts (2.5 will be used synthetic gear lube) either 75w90/75w140
lock tight (loctite)
BEER!:beer:

Time:
1-2 hours

Side Note:
Used gear Oil has to be one of the worst smelling things on this planet.

If you have been driving make sure your car cools off because this stuff gets really hot.

After Jacking up your car and placing your jack stands begin by using your torque wrench with the 1/2 socket to begin removing the 10 bolts.
9amrl3.jpg

It makes it much easier to get the bolts by bring the torque wrench of vertically against your pan-hard bar and moving bolt to bolt. Mine were in there very tight!
69djtj.jpg

After I broke all the bolts loose, I used a smaller ratchet to finish taking them out.
2qdssoi.jpg

After all the bolts came off I used a small crowbar to pry up the bottom of the diff cover to drain the oil. It drains faster if you apply some light pressure and keep the cover elevated instead of just breaking the seal and letting it drain.
wu57cm.jpg

After it all drained I pulled the whole cover off.
344tkqe.jpg

Here is the actual diff.
281asm8.jpg

I then used a scraper blade to remove the old seal.
24ndylz.jpg

After that, I used brake parts cleaner to clean the rest of the oil out off the cover and made sure I removed any and all debris inside. The brake parts cleaner will puddle in the cover so make sure you blot it with a shop towel to absorb it all.
2hz7c6r.jpg

Next, Use RTV high temp gasket maker and spread it liberally around the diff cover.
72cfo8.jpg

Do the same around the actual differential.
f56lmw.jpg

Bolt the cover back on (spread lock tight on bolts). 35-40 ft-lbs
kahcg3.jpg

Loosen your over axle pipe where it connects to the X-pipe with a 15mm socket and loosen your muffler as well and pull it off. Slide the over axle pipe out of the way. This step well give you plenty of room and make life much, much easier.

Next step is to remove the drain nut which is located on the front of the differential on the drivers side. To remove it just insert a 3/8 drive ratchet into it and loosen it.
72t2mg.jpg

Clean the drain nut with brake parts cleaner and remove any debris that are attached to it.
29dwvo7.jpg

I purchased this from auto zone it has a turn mechanism that allows the oil to drain from the sealed funnel down the tube into the diff which helped tremendously and created a lot less mess than usual.
2n664wn.jpg

I cut the tubing a lot shorter since there is not much room under there. This funnel only held 1 qt at a time so i had to fill it 2.5 times. I set it up under the car and twisted the knob to let it drain into the diff.
33v0rqo.jpg

Put your drain plug back in and make sure that it is tight. Re-bolt your exhaust/muffler back up. Clean up your mess and you are good to go!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread