DIY machining question

slow poke

Established Member
I have a a car I dont like, that appears to have little interest from any prospective buyers.

The car has a 04 cobra engine, trans, and IRS

the car is going to my girls in central PA over the winter

I have access to multiple bridgeports, a do all lathe and a smaller lathe, drill press, 1 ton ceiling hoist, stick/mig/tig welder and plasma cutter, and alot of bits and misc. tools

I have an interest in messing with things

what can type of things could I do to the car if it doesnt sell and I get bored? engine work? trans work? suspension? body? exhaust?

not looking to spend any money (maybe a couple of bucks $50 or less per little project)

slow poke

Established Member
not sure I follow, I removed the stock caged lower pulley already and have a 4lb lower on it now.

do you mean make a cage for the metco lower? what is the benefit?

oldmodman

Established Member
Several years ago a member on Modfords that was a machinist and had a large company designed and built an aftermarket
lower cage with heavier duty bearings, better flanges and so on. he only made the one order of them so the only people that got any were the first buyers.
he quickly discovered that the cost and time involved was going to be much higher than even the first estimates that were high enough to scare off most "flakes" that always express interest but vanish when it's time to pay.
So he stopped the second run of them and nobody else has stepped up to try their hand at it.

Another thing that people were waiting for was the Strange Engineering heavy duty IRS axles for the 03 Cobra. Something that would be better than the DSS ones.
But to do a proper job you need to do more than just make a fancy axle. You need to design new uprights. You have to be able to use a bigger bearing, because you need to have a bigger axle stub in the wheel flange, because you need a bigger axle stub on the end of the half shaft. Do a half way job and you just get more broken axles and wobbling wheels like with the DSS axles.

So after reading all this I have no useful suggestion on what you can actually DO that will be sellable.

Last edited:

slow poke

Established Member
no, doesn't have to be "sellable" and thats not what I want.

What can I do for fun to my car? more power? cosmetic? etc. just because

Wheel, its just a 99gt with the above stated

GodStang

Established Member
Several years ago a member on Modfords that was a machinist and had a large company designed and built an aftermarket
lower care with heavier duty bearings, better flanges and so on. he only made the one order of them so the only people that got any were the first buyers.
he quickly discovered that the cost and time involved was going to be much higher than even the first estimates that were high enough to scare off most "flakes" that always express interest but vanish when it's time to pay.
So he stopped the second run of them and nobody else has stepped up to try their hand at it.

Another thing that people were waiting for was the Strange Engineering heavy duty IRS axles for the 03 Cobra. Something that would be better than the DSS ones.
But to do a proper job you need to do more than just make a fancy axle. You need to design new uprights. You have to be able to use a bigger bearing, because you need to have a bigger axle stub in the wheel flange, because you need a bigger axle stub on the end of the half shaft. Do a half way job and you just get more broken axles and wobbling wheels like with the DSS axles.

So after reading all this I have no useful suggestion on what you can actually DO that will be sellable.

Man I forgot About the strange axles that were suppose to be hella awesome but were never done.

slow poke

Established Member
That caged lower seems excessive, how many people are running 3.6l or 4.0l whipples anyway and have to worry about snapping there crank.

Also, its a very nice looking piece but why not just rig the stock caged lower to accept metco pulley rings.

I still have the caged lower maybe ill **** with it when im bored, see what pans out.

kevinatfms

Ex-Ford/Kia/Hyundai Tech
Established Member
Premium Member
suspension pieces? seam weld the body? custom 6-8 point cage? body bracing?

slow poke

Established Member
seam welding the body, thats a good one i have not thought of! I didn't think about body bracing either. I was thinking of doing some suspension stuff, not sure what I would do though.

cj428mach

Established Member
That caged lower seems excessive, how many people are running 3.6l or 4.0l whipples anyway and have to worry about snapping there crank.

Also, its a very nice looking piece but why not just rig the stock caged lower to accept metco pulley rings.

I still have the caged lower maybe ill **** with it when im bored, see what pans out.

People snap the stock caged pulley when they step up to those blowers. There was a post where one guy had to weld his stock caged pulley together to help it survive the harsh environment.

My thought was to see about adapting a metco/lfp ring to the stock pulley. I was wondering if you could machine down the outside of the stock caged pulley then mill the center out of the aftermarket ring and then press it on to the stock pulley. I don't know if there is enough meat in the pulleys to make it happen but it should hold. Most blowers blowers are just press fit hub/pulleys with way less surface area on the press fit to hold everything.

Users who are viewing this thread