Do any gt500 guys mount gauges on steering column

ANMCycle

Screw it KB Style
Established Member
i would like to mount my boost gauge on the right maybe on the steering column or something like in the picture , this is an older cobra. I have a 2008 gt500 and that's where I would like to put my boost gauge.... I have a gauge in the left vent already. And that gauge scrolls through and does everything I need it to do. This gauge is an innovate dedicated boost guage so i would like to just mount it on the steering column somewhere like in the picture so I don't have to have empty spots if i get an a pillar or the pod holder that goes in the middle above where the signed Shelby plack normally goes. Does anybody know a company that makes something to fix my problem or a solution To my problem? Thanks guys!

file.php

Does anybody know of any gauge pods like the one on this cobra on the bottom right I could buy for my innovate boost gauge on my 2008 gt500?? the only place I can and want to mount it is the steering column like on this cobra. (Bottom right gauge area)

PistolWhip

Resident Man Dime
Established Member
You could always get another vent pod and put it to the right of the cluster. Other than that, I'm sure SOS would make you single pod A-pillar if you asked nicely.

Robert M

800 HORSE FUN!!
Established Member
What about the SOS triple A-pillar gauge mounting? The Super Snakes have it as well as the GT350. This is as long as the 2010-up pillar mount will work in the earlier cars?

Shown below, the SOS A-pillar triple with the Autometer/Shelby signature 2-1/16" gauges.............

003_zps2uskuoti.jpg

or for the earlier cars, the original Super Snake 2-5/8" triple dash pod (left) or the Autometer lower profile 2-1/16" on the right......

005_zpsjtq1zojl.jpg

R

PistolWhip

Resident Man Dime
Established Member
I think he's trying to stay with only the two gauges without losing his current vent pod. He doesn't want to add a third gauge.

ANMCycle

Screw it KB Style
Established Member
Well number one, I don't want to run wires through the bottom of where the guage pods go on the middle of the dash. Or do they go straight back and run down behind like near the firewall? Also I don't want to take up any more vents with guage pods, it's hot as balls in Florida and I want to be able to shut all my vents and have the one tonthe right of the steering wheel blow on my face to cool me down. Also I don't like the look of a pillar pods I have a shift light there and that's enough. How do the guage pods that go in the middle of he dash mount? I don't have to drill through the middle of the dash down to run wires do i? Also which is the cleanest looking one that flows the best?

ANMCycle

Screw it KB Style
Established Member
Also is there a double guage pod that goes in the middle of the dash? Maybe I will return my vent pod back to a vent, does anybody have the stuff to do that because I bought the car like this and would have to buy that stuff. How much is it does anybody know or does anybody have it they would wanna sell? How long would I have to extend the one that's in the vent to put it into the new guage pod in the middle? That's going to be a lot of work on its own. Having a shop do it for me, and if I move that vent gauge it's going to be even more money. Is there a reason somebody does not make one for the steering column?

Black Cobra '99

Established Member
The center pod is from Shelby and you can buy a blank version of it from them, and then you can drill whatever size hole and how many you want.

It attaches to the dash with velcro, or you can use 3M double sided tape. I've had mine for over a year and its just sitting there and it stayed there, for the most part. The wires run through a hole near the top AC vents by the windshield so you won't need to drill the dash.

Robert M

800 HORSE FUN!!
Established Member
Well number one, I don't want to run wires through the bottom of where the guage pods go on the middle of the dash. Or do they go straight back and run down behind like near the firewall? Also I don't want to take up any more vents with guage pods, it's hot as balls in Florida and I want to be able to shut all my vents and have the one tonthe right of the steering wheel blow on my face to cool me down. Also I don't like the look of a pillar pods I have a shift light there and that's enough. How do the guage pods that go in the middle of he dash mount? I don't have to drill through the middle of the dash down to run wires do i? Also which is the cleanest looking one that flows the best?

I will have to look at the back part of my dash pod at the base of the windshield and see how Shelby installed it. I remember seeing a single wrapped harness leaving the rear of the pod, but that is all I remember, it has been a while since I looked at it.................and yes, I too live in Fla., A/C is a premium!!

Some people feel the Shelby pod sticks up too high and blocks forward vision, that is why I also included the side-by-side with the lower profile Autometer pod.

BTW - If you notice, I used the angle rings in that Shelby pod, since that time Shelby has added them as an option for that pod. I did it first and added the pictures to the Team Shelby Super Snake forum, they were a big hit, and then a few months later I noticed Shelby added them too. The angle rings make the gauges much more driver friendly. Without the angle rings the gauges are flat in the pod face and are great for viewing by a person sitting in the back seat, but not as much by the person who needs to monitor them...............the driver.

R

Last edited:

ANMCycle

Screw it KB Style
Established Member
Gotcha thanks yea let me know...... I've been told that the Shit doesn't stay on the dashboard if you don't drill them down and will end up in your cup holder so to speak. Especially for a daily driver.... I already have a cervini cowl hood, so the forward vision I don't think will make a difference. I think I've seen some other companies out there that make these, I can't think of the name and I'm really tired right now it's been a long ass day, I think I'm going to go that route and add just two holes because I won't ever need another gauge cluster. I. Mean.... I could do 3 and leave one open just incase, I just think it looks like Shit when ones missing. I'll get that stupid typical female asking me..... WHATS SUPPOSED TO GO THERE, and it will drive me nuts.

ANMCycle

Screw it KB Style
Established Member
Oh shit.... also what's the price difference and how much does that matter on quality? Is the Shelby one wrapped like the dash is in some type of leather or something to match?

Black Cobra '99

Established Member
I think its wrapped in vinyl, and it blends perfectly with the dashboard.
Its better to secure it with something, I've had mine almost fall off on a couple of times. I'm just too lazy to do it.

Robert M

800 HORSE FUN!!
Established Member
Oh shit.... also what's the price difference and how much does that matter on quality? Is the Shelby one wrapped like the dash is in some type of leather or something to match?

Mine has been on since it was install at the Shelby Mod Shop back in early 2009, but my car is not a daily driver and is not exposed to the sun except for an occasional car show. I have not read or heard any other Super Snake owners mention that their dash pod has come loose. The double stick is pretty strong, but sun/heat can change everything.

The outer surface of the Shelby pod blends well with the oem dash pad, if it didn't, Super Snake owners would be complaining. I assume that it is a vinyl as was previously mentioned. There is a member over on the GT500 forum who is currently researching a matching material for the low profile Autometer dash pod that I showed in my pictures above.

I will look at my dash pod wiring tonight.

R

ANMCycle

Screw it KB Style
Established Member
Mine has been on since it was install at the Shelby Mod Shop back in early 2009, but my car is not a daily driver and is not exposed to the sun except for an occasional car show. I have not read or heard any other Super Snake owners mention that their dash pod has come loose. The double stick is pretty strong, but sun/heat can change everything.

The outer surface of the Shelby pod blends well with the oem dash pad, if it didn't, Super Snake owners would be complaining. I assume that it is a vinyl as was previously mentioned. There is a member over on the GT500 forum who is currently researching a matching material for the low profile Autometer dash pod that I showed in my pictures above.

I will look at my dash pod wiring tonight.

R
Thanks appreciate it.... and what's the price of each and is the auto meter/ price difference a good buy and good quality?

ANMCycle

Screw it KB Style
Established Member
I think its wrapped in vinyl, and it blends perfectly with the dashboard.
Its better to secure it with something, I've had mine almost fall off on a couple of times. I'm just too lazy to do it.
What could I secure it with? Drill into the dash and make it permanent?

Robert M

800 HORSE FUN!!
Established Member
Thanks appreciate it.... and what's the price of each and is the auto meter/ price difference a good buy and good quality?

You will get many different opinions on gauges, manual, electric, swing arm (analog), digital and then the many brands and diameters available. The Autometer's that Shelby originally sold with the 3 gauge pod were the 2-5/8" Autometer Carbon Fiber Series and have the Carroll Shelby signature which I thought was pretty cool. I am not sure if the C/S signature gauges are still what come with that pod or not. The smaller 2-1/16" Autometer's that I pictures in the A-Pillar pod are a little harder to find, Shelby was selling off some of the GT350 A-pillar sets and I grabbed one off of eBay a while back.

The fuel gauge is the expensive one, if I remember correctly it is well over $200, maybe closer to $250. The fuel pressure sending unit that screws into the fuel rail is $100 all by itself. The other two gauges, oil pressure and boost/vacuum are about $100ea. usually.

R

Black Cobra '99

Established Member
What could I secure it with? Drill into the dash and make it permanent?

No you don't need to drill the dash, the pod comes with one side of velcro so you only need to buy the other side and stick it to the dash.
If you can't find velcro straps then you can use 3m tape.

Attachments

• gauge_pod.jpg
    gauge_pod.jpg
    41.6 KB · Views: 108

Robert M

800 HORSE FUN!!
Established Member
Here is the harness that exits the rear of the Shelby gauge pod.............

033_zpsl23juhfv.jpg

and here is a view of the pod and dash surface comparison.........

034_zpsghodzien.jpg

^^^^Pretty darn close in texture and look...........

R

ANMCycle

Screw it KB Style
Established Member
Yea..... idk , I'm not spending 600$ for a gauge pod or whatever lol. I've seen some dual gauge pods..... they look kinda cool.... I'm thinking about going a pillar now and going dual.... and putting my two gauges in there..... I really appreciate all the educational stuff you guys just showed me, but it seems like a lot of
Money and a lot of work just to mount 1 damn innovate boost gauge. does anyone know the best or a good but not so expensive a pillar pod.... I want the one that replaces the door trim..... that's the better kind right? Not the kind that clips over the existing one?

Users who are viewing this thread