Do any of the military branches have a weight waiver?

Kiohtee

Established Member
Say if you're 20lbs "overweight," is there a waiver that gives you until the completion of basic to lose it or you get the boot?

I've had many buddies tell me such a thing existed, others say it doesn't though. BTW, thanks for your services guys/gals! :rockon:

FX4 SAPPER

Established Member
Say if you're 20lbs "overweight," is there a waiver that gives you until the completion of basic to lose it or you get the boot?

I've had many buddies tell me such a thing existed, others say it doesn't though. BTW, thanks for your services guys/gals! :rockon:

You can, but expect to be sent to fat camp before you report to your Basic Training unit. They usually last 30 days or so or until you are at weight/tape and a slot opens up. I was right at my max weight when i shipped and i tell you what, i wish i had worked harder before i left. I didnt have to go to the fat camp but i wish i would have. i wasnt prepared

Kiohtee

Established Member
You can, but expect to be sent to fat camp before you report to your Basic Training unit. They usually last 30 days or so or until you are at weight/tape and a slot opens up. I was right at my max weight when i shipped and i tell you what, i wish i had worked harder before i left. I didnt have to go to the fat camp but i wish i would have. i wasnt prepared

So is this fat camp basically a basic training before basic training but for fatties? :lol1: 'Cause I bet my bottom dollar that's where I'd be going :banana:

7.62x51

Established Member
Ya, you definitely do not want to be overweight going through Boot Camp, especially USMC (if that is the branch you are going into).

Remember they do not go solely off of body weight - but composition, body fat %, etc.

jerrad

RIP Gump
Established Member
You can, but expect to be sent to fat camp before you report to your Basic Training unit.

I'm not sure if that's the case anymore. I leave for basic in a month and my recruiter made me get below my max weight before I could even go to meps. I've had to tell him my weight every monday for the last year and every time I go see him he puts me on the scales.

OP,even if they let you I'd suggest dropping the pounds. My brother in law was a Marine and he came into boot a pound or two over the weight. He had to go to a "fat" class and had to eat the "fat food" for around 8 weeks even though he got below his max weight 2 days into boot. lol

Kiohtee

Established Member
I guess all I can do is talk to a recruiter. Hmm.

Yes. I want to be a Marine.

Last

Established Member
Are you overweight with fat or muscle, keep it under 15% bf and you will be okay. Plus Marines give you a few months to get into better shape before you go to boot. Run Run Run Run Run... Marines are the PT branch so you need to get into shape.

Here is a good quote from Mach1USMC from the Chow Hall

The other thing you need to take into consideration is your ht and wt. Look up your max wt for your ht. If you are over the first thing you need to do is get under. Don't forget a PROPER DIET plays a critical role. Starving yourself is NOT a proper diet.

IMO (and I've only been doing this for 21 years) but when I get back from deployment and I'm trying to get back into shape the first thing I do is not over do it. (this only applies if you are UNDER your max wt) I start off with a slow 3 mile jog. Don't break it into segments. IOW's don't run for just a mile and stop- if you need to walk or slow way down for short distances fine- just make sure you do the whole 3 miles. I'd do this 3 times a week. MWF... on Teus/Thurs if you want to get froggy go to your gym if you have one and do the stair stepper for 30-45 minutes- make sure you don't stay at the same pace or difficulty level the whole time- I'd save this for week 2 or 3 if I were you though to do this. This is a PROCESS- there is no instant gratification. By the end of the second week you can start pushing your runs out to 4 or 5 miles. So that's cardio.... (if you don't know how to swim I'd HIGHLY recommend getting some quality time in the pool) Also- week 3 you should throw in some interval runs and hill runs. You need to do sprints between jogs of at least 75-100 yards. This will increase your lung capacity and your aerobic ability.

Now for your other 2 portions. The best way to get better at pullups is to do pullups. Pushups are important too but you aren't technically tested on them- but this routine will guarantee results. First things first. Baby steps are important. You have plenty of time here. If you do this 5 days a week I PROMISE you'll be doing 20+ pullups without breaking a sweat on your PFT. (also remember there is no such thing as extra credit in the test. So doing 25 pullups and 120 crunches will do nothing but make you tired.) Anyhow you can do this in any order. I usually start with crunches.

Crunches:
-start with 20
- do 20 regular, 20 to the left, 20 to the right
- then do 20 leglifts, 20 "hello-dollies", and 20 flutter kicks,
- then finish with 20 toe touchers. - lie on your back with your feet up so you are in an "L" position- now touch your toes.
Increase the qty by 5-10 each week.
- if you really want to do some core training start doing planks for 30-45 seconds each day and increase by 10 seconds each week.

Pullups/pushups: week one
start off with 3 pullups followed by 10 pushups.
- increase by one pullup 4 times- so 3, 4, 5, 6, 7
- then you decrease by one til you get back down to 3.
- you will do 10 pushups after each round of pullups
- The do a MAX set of pullups and a max set of diamond pushups.
- increase weekly by 1 for pullups and 5 for pushups.

This routine along with a proper diet will GUARANTEE a 300 PFT and you'll be able to handle just about anything the DI's throw at you. By the end you should be able to run 6-7 miles without stopping and your run time should be sub 18. You should be able to do 24-26 DEAD HANG pullups and 100 crunches will take you less than 90 seconds. Technique is important- that's why I'm starting you off slow. They won't count if you don't do them correctly. And you'll be doing 60-70 pushups at a time. You have to stay committed- remember at the end of 6 weeks this will be your baseline. That is your starting point. From there once you get to the fleet you can increase any of these numbers or throw other wrinkles into your routine.

GL man.

Link to thread: http://www.svtperformance.com/forums/chow-hall-339/755521-joined-marines-need-pt-advice.html

Planter

Banned
the Army will take anyone....haha, i've seen some of the walrus mammoth women they take, but they're desperate.

but if you can't run the 2 mile in under 23:00 minutes when you get to Reception Batallion, you get to go to Fat Camp.

4 weeks of pure running hell. you eat nothing but veggies and fruits, and high fiber diet, and you run your fat ass off till you can make the times...lol.

enjoy.

Mach1USMC

SVT Powered
Established Member
I guess all I can do is talk to a recruiter. Hmm.

Yes. I want to be a Marine.

As mentioned you do NOT want to be over. 20 lbs is nothing to lose. You can do it in a month if you push yourself. If you go to boot camp over weight/out of shape you will HATE your life. Do yourself a favor and just drop the lbs before you take the next step.

Outlaw1

Established Member
Since the drop out of the economy the military has changed their recruit standers and can now be picky, so have some self motivation and go workout, and meet and succeed a standard instead of just trying to get by, we already of enough of those types in the military already. Feed up of seeing a bunch of lazy fat ass`s on post! Coming into the military subpar is the wrong foot to start off on.

Last edited:

03cobrah

Established Member
op, just fyi, even if you do crack down on your weight drastically, it will be in your best interest to stay that way.. not many Marines stay below weight standards once they hit the fleet. Sucks at the time you're going in mostly because the Marine Corps is down sizing and they're starting to kick people out for being over weight. yes, begun the weight war has.

Last edited:

03_Cobra_Coy

AWESOMENESS
Established Member
Or those dudes that need a XXL top And a XXXL for bootoms that is pretty disgusting. those dudes are only good for tower guard.

97desertCobra

Procharged!
Established Member
We are kicking people out in the Army for being over weight too. I've had to submit alot of flags and bars over the last year. I'll side with the soldier if they are continually making progress every month, and recommend an extension to the Commander. But if they don't give a shit then I don't give a shit and I will gladly process paperwork so they can GTFO.

03cobrah

Established Member
don't be discouraged zhisel, if you really want to enlist, losing the weight shouldn't discourage you. you can do it if you really want it.

jerrad

RIP Gump
Established Member
don't be discouraged zhisel, if you really want to enlist, losing the weight shouldn't discourage you. you can do it if you really want it.

+1
I went from 228 to 178 in about 6 months by eating right and exercising. I had to get to 208 but just kept working hard ended up where I am now.

NO-BlkLightning2K

Putin 2016. Yup.
Established Member
i wouldn't go in on a weight waver. you're going to want to be in shape when you go to basic. don't let them put you in shape. hell, i was right in the middle of my ideal weight. but i didn't focus enough on running prior to basic, and it sort of sucked playing catch up. but if you're on a waiver, i'm assuming you're going to be far behind. push ups, sit-ups, running, and pull-ups (iirc, you're tested on those) is what you want to focus on. 30-30-2 miles in at max 15 min-10 is what i'd aim for to begin basic. i did basic in the air force, btw. easiest one, i'm told. however, the higher-ups were putting in stricter pt standards starting back in '03 when i joined, so it could be even harder than that now.

besides, you don't want to be the one looking like a walking duffel bag while in uniform.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread