Do I need a new flywheel?

03cobra#116

Established Member
I am replacing the stock clutch with a Centerforce DF. One place I called said it is recommended to replace the stock flywheel at the same time. Is that needed?

By the way, my son-in-law, a fine young man in every other way, burned up my clutch. He was accustomed to his low torque BMW and kept "taking off too fast" in the Cobra. So he began starting in second. Then he missed second and started in fourth, continue as my daughter smelled smoke.

But back to the question. I am really looking forward to the lighter pedal.

Evil Bender

Rabid Roadie
Established Member
Premium Member
Beer Money Bros.
I realized too late that that wan't very helpful. I have heard about getting the stock flywheel resurfaced but it seemed like a pain,search and see, when I put in my centerforce DF I went with a Ford racing steel flywheel.I don't know if contributed to my lighter pedal effort ( which I did get ) but it deffently made leaving from a stop much easer no clutchslip required. The debate between alum and steel goes on forever but I like my steel one and wouldn't go back,good luck. Steve

Trick Pony

Stang Addict
Established Member
Unless you're launching on slicks and worried about bogging and want the extra mass of a steel flywheel, the aluminum one is going to be better for acceleration and gas mileage.

HISSMAN

The Great Bearded One
Super Moderator
You can have the stock one machined, or buy an aftermarket unit. As said, stick with aluminum unless you are launching extremely hard and need every benefit of a hard hit.

MVD

Established Member
Evil Bender said:
when I put in my centerforce DF I went with a Ford racing steel flywheel.I don't know if contributed to my lighter pedal effort ( which I did get ) but it deffently made leaving from a stop much easer no clutchslip required. The debate between alum and steel goes on forever but I like my steel one and wouldn't go back,good luck. Steve

The flywheel has nothing to do with clutch pedal effort.

Users who are viewing this thread