• Every once in a while

Votes: 11 13.1%
  • Never test it.

Votes: 39 46.4%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

gaspasr

Established Member
Just FYI, I installed a flex fuel sensor and gauge so I didn't have to worry about crappy fuel. All of the fuel in SA right now is showing e76-e78 on my sensor.

I bought a couple of drums of E98 so I can stay at E85 when I go to the track.

Do you ever find e85 that's higher than 85%. I ask cause my cheap test tube reading can vary from 85-89% or so. I get fuel from HEB.

racerat

200+mph Boss-O-Matic!
Established Member
Do you ever find e85 that's higher than 85%. I ask cause my cheap test tube reading can vary from 85-89% or so. I get fuel from HEB.

The test tube shows e83-85 on the same gas the sensor is reading as E77.
We let the test tube sit overnight, and the ethanol content dropped to what the sensor was reading.

Tractionless1

Established Member
Just FYI, I installed a flex fuel sensor and gauge so I didn't have to worry about crappy fuel. All of the fuel in SA right now is showing e76-e78 on my sensor.

I bought a couple of drums of E98 so I can stay at E85 when I go to the track.

Do you have link to the device you use? I assume it goes in the tank?

It's not a waste of time unless you have true flex fuel vehicle....I tested at a pump in League City and it came out E45. I alerted the manager and they shut the E85 pumps down and bagged them.

Trust me, I was shocked! Only thing I could think of was the delivery truck somehow pumped e10 gasoline into a partially filled e85 tank below.... :nonono:

Was the fuel already in your tank or did you test in a separate can etc. first?

65fastback2+2

Established Member
go back and read post 15, you're not telling me anything I don't already know. Maybe it will sink in what I'm trying to tell you. You either recognize that or you don't. I really don't care if you believe what happened or not about the E45 test. It will set off check engine lights and running that rich is not good for the motor long term. You run e45 long term on your e85 tune and check back with us

I'm one of the biggest proponents of E85 on this forum

Id do it. Def not scared. Ran e85 in my lightning for over a year and never checked it once.

Furthermore, if adaptive tuning is on...STFT's and LTFT's are used to adjust WOT fueling.

IMG_20120314_175421.jpg

IMG_20120314_175443.gif

Shoot, I didnt even run a wideband. All stock gauges on the truck.

Heres passing the 1/4 mile line...stock heads and cams with a ported eaton @ 18psi

20degreesoftiming.jpg

Last edited:

c6zhombre

E85 NutSwinger
Established Member
Was the fuel already in your tank or did you test in a separate can etc. first?

my bro in law filled his f150 first.... but a sample was dispensed into a mason jar at the same time. I tested it right before we drove off and my heart just sank when I saw the reading....then tested it again to be sure. The one and only time I had not tested in 14 months before a tank got filled and we got burned. I said f-it...lets drive and see what happens...check engine set off 2 minutes down the road with 2 rich codes. We made it to bro in laws house and I called 04sleeper...he said best scenario is drain it. We took the fuel line off the fuel filter, got a clear hose, hot wired the f150 pumps and drained 20+ gallons into my bro in laws flex fuel tahoe. Ran down to kroger with a 5 gallon jug, found good E85 and took it back home to the HD f150

04sleeper

Runs On "Liquid Gold"
Super Moderator
Furthermore, if adaptive tuning is on...STFT's and LTFT's are used to adjust WOT fueling.
Not sure where you heard that but it is incorrect.

When in closed loop, the computer takes readings from the oxygen sensors which read +/- of 14.64 AFR (Stoich) for your ECU, and makes corrections for it. If your car is idling either rich or lean, the ECU will adjust to try to achieve Stoich. However, the narrow band O2 sensors will only read to a certain point. After that, it will throw a check engine light as c6zhombre mentioned happening. Exactly what I told him would most likely happen. This is only a cruise and part throttle and has nothing to do with WOT.

When the car goes into open loop (WOT), those inputs get ignored and your fueling is purely based off the MAF transfer function and the open loop fuel table. When a car is started, the computer is in open loop until certain criteria is met. The o2 sensors need to be heated to work properly, so this is the main reason there is a delay. After the sensors are heated up, the car goes into closed loop and the O2 sensors make their corrections. The computer will go back into open loop under a variety of conditions. Throttle Position (TP) is one way. There are parameters in the computer that determine what the TP is for Open Loop, and other things. When that TP is reached, and the car goes open loop, and richens up.

Hope this helps explain a little better.

Tractionless1

Established Member

Which flow through sensor are you using, the ones in the article look tiny compared to my -8 AN supply. Of course I don't want to cut down on fuel flow just to test the fuel.

my bro in law filled his f150 first.... but a sample was dispensed into a mason jar at the same time. I tested it right before we drove off and my heart just sank when I saw the reading....then tested it again to be sure. The one and only time I had not tested in 14 months before a tank got filled and we got burned. I said f-it...lets drive and see what happens...check engine set off 2 minutes down the road with 2 rich codes. We made it to bro in laws house and I called 04sleeper...he said best scenario is drain it. We took the fuel line off the fuel filter, got a clear hose, hot wired the f150 pumps and drained 20+ gallons into my bro in laws flex fuel tahoe. Ran down to kroger with a 5 gallon jug, found good E85 and took it back home to the HD f150

That sucks, I'd make the station pay especially since you show them the results and they agreed by shutting off the pump.

Mystic03

Established Member
may need a retune if you tap into the return line since the restricted flow will increase pressure :shrug:

Sof Top

boost junkie!
Established Member
I never test it, but only because we have one station and a couple people I know test it regularly. The one station we have here has been very consistent.

try03venom

Established Member
my station is 85% now but will that change in the winter months? Can I leave e85 in my gas tank if I dont run the car for 3-4 months during the winter?

Tractionless1

Established Member
Which flow through sensor are you using, the ones in the article look tiny compared to my -8 AN supply. Of course I don't want to cut down on fuel flow just to test the fuel.

QUOTE]

I think I have heard guys are using them in the return line.

Even so, I'm not entertaining the notion of necking anything down that much just for an "easy reading."

mustang john

Established Member
Even so, I'm not entertaining the notion of necking anything down that much just for an "easy reading."

Well if it makes you feel any better about them racerat that pointed you to the setup has run a 9.9 @ 140 making about 850rwhp with her E85 Boss! I don't think it being a restriction is that much of an issue. lol

Last edited:

mustang john

Established Member
If you take a look the complete kit from that place is $380, that's not a bad price. You will pay almost that much for a good fuel pressure gauge. It has me thinking... Thanks Tracy, another thing I want now!

Tractionless1

Established Member
Well if it makes you feel any better about them racerat that pointed you to the setup has run a 9.9 @ 140 making about 850rwhp with her E85 Boss! I don't think it being a restriction is that much of an issue. lol

I understand. I'd like to see his setup for the sensor. I'd hate to have an all AN system and have to neck down in order go get a bare hose over the ends of that sensor. Looks like a failure point to me and there isn't much wiggle room with fuel and heat. :rollseyes

mustang john

Established Member
I understand. I'd like to see his setup for the sensor. I'd hate to have an all AN system and have to neck down in order go get a bare hose over the ends of that sensor. Looks like a failure point to me and there isn't much wiggle room with fuel and heat. :rollseyes

I havent seen the setup myself but trust me racerat doesnt do hack jobs or cut corners. If it isnt show quality and functional at the same time you wont find it on anything she owns.

racerat

200+mph Boss-O-Matic!
Established Member

I havent seen the setup myself but trust me racerat doesnt do hack jobs or cut corners. If it isnt show quality and functional at the same time you wont find it on anything she owns.

Thanks John. You know how ghetto and rigged my cars are. ;-)

The sensor is -8 and it's in the return line. No leaks, no issues and the setup has been driven in all kinds of conditions from drag racing to road course to a 4000 mile trip from TX to Ohio and back.

It also has a fuel temp sensor on it with a switch inside the car so I can keep an eye on what's going on with 3 big pumps working in the tank.

ethanol.jpg

temp.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread