Do you think movie theaters will go away?

Riddla

It's for your own protection
Established Member
I rarely go to the movies due to the fact of how rude people are. No pg13 movies for me at all.
Last time I went to the movies was to watch Annabelle and before that Prometheus in 2012.

Do you guys think we should have the option of streaming movies that theatres get first?
Theatres such as tinseltown should have options on their sites to stream direct to tv in your home for the same price of admission. Then again they dont know how many people will be watching.

Are they too big to fail? Or America loves their movie theaters too much to fail?

This year i plan on going for terminator and jp 5 when it is the least packed.

What do you guys think? There has to be a way to keep both options.

JetmechF16

Under Pressure
Established Member
Premium Member
Top Shelf Gentlemen
I still prefer the movie theater for now, however the house we're buying next month has a media room upstairs that I'm sure will keep us home more. Currently, we stay away from new releases and Friday through Sunday night showings, that usually cuts down on the teenagers and idiots. Also, Star Cinema Grill near me serves pitchers of beer in the theater so that helps put up with the riffraff too!

jpro

Disoriented Poster
Established Member
Movie theaters make their money in concessions, so I can't imagine them offering a "stream at home" type of option from their website...EVER!

I enjoy going to the movies, but have only gone once in the past 3 years (with the exception of the free Saturday morning children's movies our local theater plays for families). We've seen How to Teach Your Dragon, Box Trolls, and Dolphin Tale 2 all for free in the past month. Not the greatest movies, but the kids get a chance to go to a movie theater and see a movie that is appropriate. Still idiots there letting their kids run wild but I enjoy it and can't complain because its free.

I plan to see the new Star Wars movie in December. Other than that, I can't get to the movies often.

Last edited:

VegasMichael

Established Member
I never liked theaters. There is something about standing in line waiting to pay money to sit in a dark room with strangers that creeps me out. I also have a history of falling asleep in theaters too.

Anyway, I think there is a possibility they will fail, especially with the big screen home theater set-ups many have in their homes.

hoamskilet

Established Member
I think they'll be around for a long time. I love going to the movies, just don't get to do it much since we had kids.

RedRocketMike

A Member Well Known
Established Member
It's a stagnant business. Regal Cinnemas stock is at the same price it was trading at when they went public in 2002. Theaters need to innovate or become the next drive in's.

tallfreak

Just a newb
Established Member
My last few experiences in the theater were terrible. Went to see Dark Knight Rises and rain came through the roof and onto the projector about an hour into the movie. I know its an unforeseen problem, but stick with me. They gave us the option of 2 free movie passes each or 1 movie pass and join another movie that was about 30 minutes behind us. Most people chose to join the other movie so it was very crowded. People talking loudly, texting, and walking around. I was pissed but the extra free movie pass helped. Much later I went to see Skyfall on a friday night on one of the last weeks it was showing (trying to avoid the usual asshats.) As soon as I walked in I knew I was going to be pissed off. It was a few groups of 2 or 3 people....and one group of about 10 teenagers. The teens were talking all through the commercials and kept talking through the trailers. When the movie started several people asked them to be quiet. That only made it worse. Someone went to get security about 15 minutes into the movie. He came and took 2 teens out that were talking when he came in. Then the group spread out. They would take turns running down and yelling at the guard and running back to random seats before he could see who was doing it. After arguing with the teens in the theater with the movie rolling, he finally got police to come and remove all the teens. By this time the movie was almost over. The management wouldn't do anything about it. No refunds or movie tickets. Just an apology.

If you haven't figured it out yet, I don't like the theaters anymore. I have only seen one movie after that in a theater. Catching Fire on the last showing on a random day at a different theater. It went well, but that is very rare that we can do that. I like the theater experience when it goes well, but I likely won't give it another chance anytime soon.

I don't know how the theaters are in other areas, but if they are even half as bad as my last few experiences they will not last much longer.

I'm getting so pissed just typing this that I need a drink now.

ON D BIT

Finish First
Established Member
Are there less people going to movies? From my understanding the price to get in go to those who made the movies not the theatre. If there was no theatre industry the money to create movies would be severely undercut. Even during the Great Recession the movie industry thrived. It was the one escape for people. I don't see it leaving at all.
The movies being made now are trash. Which is why I don't go to the theatre.

Troponin

Established Member
Every once in a great while I will go to the movies during the day when kids are at school and most adults are working. Best time to go. Hate crowds, hate loud people, and I especially hate when you're watching a PG13 or R rated movie and you keep hearing little children talking during the movie. About 6 months ago, I was sitting in a movie that had partial nudity, violence, some adult language and some sexual content, and I could see and hear several 5-10 year olds in the theater.

Thump_rrr

Established Member
The option of streaming movies to your home already exists after they have left the theaters.
I go to probably 10 movies a year and I have never encountered the type of behavior you have described.
I typically go on opening day if it is a movie that interests me.

Rct851

Established Member
I still prefer the movie theater for now, however the house we're buying next month has a media room upstairs that I'm sure will keep us home more. Currently, we stay away from new releases and Friday through Sunday night showings, that usually cuts down on the teenagers and idiots. Also, Star Cinema Grill near me serves pitchers of beer in the theater so that helps put up with the riffraff too!

Yea but I always have to take a leak before the movie ends lol

hoamskilet

Established Member
The option of streaming movies to your home already exists after they have left the theaters.
I go to probably 10 movies a year and I have never encountered the type of behavior you have described.
I typically go on opening day if it is a movie that interests me.
Agreed. I always hear about how awful people are at the theater yet I honestly can't recall a movie I've been to where there's been an issue.

JpL4K3

Established Member
I hate theaters too. Most memorable moment for me was during the Avengers some guys came in completely shit faced, and I'd imagine on drugs too. About an hour into the movie one of them stood up and started taking a piss on the guy in front of him, sat down and went to sleep. Lol.

Lambeau

Superfleck Moonbird
Established Member
Malt Liquor Mafia
Yup, thinning of the heard is in progress. Sadly they won't last much longer, especially in small towns/low population areas…

Me and the War Department went to the 9:30 showing of "Run All Night" with Liam Neeson last Saturday night.
Only 6 people in the theatre, that's counting the 2 of us.

(BTW: IMO - movie was a 6/10 - kinda dark - interesting plot though)

truefiveo

Established Member
I love going to the movies alone.
Usually the spot I desire to sit in the theater isn't favored by others so I don't have to deal with
dumb ass humans ruining my experience with cell phones and talking loud.

badcobra

It's Fast
Established Member
I built a theater in my basement with a 138" cinemascope screen and 7.2 surround so I don't have to sit in theaters any longer. I will still sometimes go see a 'special' movie (not kid related), but will only go at the times where the least amount of people will be there. Nothing is worse than a crowded theater, especially if there are younger people there.

Machdup1

Established Member
I will still sometimes go see a 'special' movie (not kid related), but will only go at the times where the least amount of people will be there. Nothing is worse than a crowded theater, especially if there are younger people there.

+1, I only go to see a movie on Sunday mornings or at a CineBistro. There are normally less than twenty folks. Sometimes under ten. The CineBistro route also works. Big Chair, good food and the one here has a dress code and does not allow children after 8:00p.m.

astrodudepsu

1of72 Hater
Established Member
Old shitty ones? Sure.

But theaters are changing. Alamo Draft house kicks ass. There are other theaters that are really stepping their game up. They understand that they are selling an experience and are changing as such. They aren't going anywhere.

Users who are viewing this thread