does a bed mounted intercooler resevoir work?

lightning25

SEANSVT
Established Member
I have been researching trying to figure out if i should invest in a bed mounted intercooler resevoir to considerably cool my charge temps while at the track.

I will only be concerned with the bed mount resevoir at the track and i will plan on draining some water and re-packing with ice after every run.

My questions are:

will the stock pump allow enough flow for effective cooling?

How do you run the lines for the bed cooler?

Does it actually cool your charge temps enough to be worth while?

Does an engine bay mounted cooler seem more practical or more efficient (if stock pump will not handle the distance)?

I can't seem to get any hard evidence on any of the sites, everyone has their own opinion the no answers.

Any help is appreciated!
Sean

SID297

OWNER/ADMIN
Administrator
Yes, but an aftermarket pump would be better.

Just along the frame rail will work.

The advantage is that you can carry much more coolant in the bed, thus increasing the time it takes for heat soak to occur.

It depends on how much your budget is and what your goals are.

The basic science is that it takes more energy to heat up a larger volume of fluid. If you're carrying more fluid your IAT2s will stay cooler for longer at a given blower discharge temperature.

MJG

Established Member
IMO Sean, upgrade to a larger reservoir under the hood, along with an upgraded pump and HE (which I believe you have?) with icing the res at the track, should solve your problem.

lightning25

SEANSVT
Established Member
IMO Sean, upgrade to a larger reservoir under the hood, along with an upgraded pump and HE (which I believe you have?) with icing the res at the track, should solve your problem.

Hey guys, thanks for the replies.

i think the bed mount is out of the question now. too long of runs and i can ice a smaller box in the engine compartment and run it all the time and still have the entire bed which i use a lot.
I do have a larger HE, but the stock pump.

I am basically looking to ice after every pass at the track, thats it.

i have heard some bad things about the JLP engine bay one (fitment and quality of the lid), but it seems to be the biggest one that there is for the windshield washer area. im waiting to hear back from JL about these issues.

Matt i better see you at cayuga for the sept 18th OSCA finals! your truck better be done too, wtf is taking you so long?

lightning25

SEANSVT
Established Member
well i took the plunge and ordered the JLP race reservoir.

At first i was pissed as i should have listened to what people were saying about the fit. THEN i noticed the only reason it didnt fit was due to a thin piece of metal near the radiator that could be bent less than 1/8" and the reservoir fit perfectly, no issues after that.

As for cooling, i started my truck in the garage, let the charge temps get to 106 and put about 3#'s of ice in. 20 min later my charge temps (not coolant, but IAT2's) were 95 degrees.

Normally they would go up to over 130 in that same period, same situation

with the cooler ambient temps it may be hard to truly test this set-up, and may have to wait until next summer, but adding just that little bit of ice made a huge difference!

cant wait to see how it does this weekend at the track!

Sean

Quicktime_GT

Established Member

Users who are viewing this thread