Does ford/lincoln need a coyote based rwd sedan?

Does ford/licoln need a coyote based sedan?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

mc01svt

100% full natty brah
Established Member
Am i the only one who thinks a large rwd ford sedan with available coyote would sell like hotcakes? Right now if you're a ford fan and want some real american iron you are pretty much forced to buy a charger or caddy CTS-v. Even kia and hyundai have 5.0L equipped sedans these days.

Hyundai Equus - 5.0L V8, 429hp
Hyundai genesis - 5.0L V8, 420hp
Cadillac CTS-V - 6.2L V8, 640hp
Chevy SS sedan - 6.2L V8, 415hp
Charger RT - 5.7L V8, 370hp
Charger Scat pack - 6.4L V8, 485hp
Charger Hellcat - 6.2L s/c v8, 707hp
Chyrsler 300C - 5.7L V8, 363hp
Lexus LS460 - 4.6L V8, 386hp
Lexus GSF - 5.0L V8, 467hp
Infiniti Q70 - 5.6L V8, 420hp
Kia K900 - 5.0L V8, 420hp
Mercedes S550, TT 5.0L V8, 449hp
BMW 550i - TT 4.4L V8, 445hp
Ford - ???
Lincoln - ???

Nothing against the ecoboost but the taurus sho and the lincoln abc, mkc, zyx..etc whatever they are calling them do nothing for me. :rollseyes Most agree that the new continental is a failure waiting to happen.

Judging by the number of people going through great lengths to LS or coyote swap crown victorias id say ford is missing the mark. :bash: From what i read to coyote swap a panther is a huge PITA that cost a crap ton of $$$.

Coiled03

Established Member
I think they've missed the boat. That market segment is already flooded. I don't blame them for not wanting to dump the resources into developing something to compete with all that.

svtfocus2cobra

Opprimere, Velocitas, Violentia Operandi
Established Member
They probably dont need it but they should definitely build it. I'd like to see them do something out of left field with their regular lineup, like a Lincoln competitor to the RCF.

oldmodman

Established Member
I didn't vote for either question. Unless they are going to go CTS-V on everyone they should get into that overcrowded market.

What they should do is make a new technology hybrid using their recent show car SUV. The one with the full length Gull Wing Doors.

Small V-6 engine, turbo charged. Electric motor in the wheel hubs for motive power and stability control. Full on regenerative braking, the power going to Super Capacitors and dumping their full "charge" with each demand for acceleration. Either from a stop or to speed up in stop and go traffic. The regeneration would take place with each "lifting" of the gad pedal. Not only when the brakes are applied.
The on board batteries would only be rechargeable from the wall socket or a quick charger. The batteries would provide motive power for steady state slow speed cruise. Only after the batteries are fully depleted would the gas engine fire up.

This is in no way any kind of performance vehicle. But it would allow Ford to meet the super strict MPG and pollution requirements that are being placed into full effect in 2025.
Otherwise I don't see any hope that we will be able to buy the next gen GT350R with a big honking V-8

AustinSN

Established Member
Beer Money Bros.
I don't think there is enough room in the market.

Same reason Chevy and Dodge seem so against building a hot hatch, lots of competition.

If the AWD system in the Continental and the MKZ is setup like it is in the Focus RS (which I understand it's the same RDU), it should be really fun to drive. The RS drives like a RWD car with AWD traction.

svtfocus2cobra

Opprimere, Velocitas, Violentia Operandi
Established Member
I would love to see them jump into the performance hybrid game and mate the Coyote or Voodoo up to an electric motor.

2000gt4.6

Established Member
All they need to do is give the SHO a power bump. Literally the only downside of a non v8 FI platform (vs a V8) is sound.

Bump the EB up to around 420 HP stock. The advantage being 99.99 percent of owners will never go beyond basic bolton's and a tune. Within those limits no V8 can remotely compete mod for mod. A starting 420 EB should make well over 500 on tune only and even more with exhaust etc.

I don't get wanting a RWD vs AWD. Given the choice I would pick AWD every time.

Serpent

Bike or Cobra?
Established Member
Ford doesnt need to imo. Half of those cars listed are over $50k. Not sure many people would spend $50k on a Ford that doesnt have any history. Hell, the SHO was a hard sell and that was cheaper and has history.

Gj Ford for not wasting resources on a flooded market!

Rct851

Established Member
I think they need something that makes more torque down low for that type of vehicle.of course coyote "based" with some FI would handle it. Didn't think about the price segment this would be in

Last edited:

Balt21

Established Member
Ford doesnt need to imo. Half of those cars listed are over $50k. Not sure many people would spend $50k on a Ford that doesnt have any history. Hell, the SHO was a hard sell and that was cheaper and has history.

Gj Ford for not wasting resources on a flooded market!

Agreed. At least in my area, the only one of those cars I see on a regular basis is the Charger. When the Chevy SS was announced, so many people were excited for a new rwd v8 sedan, but I can probably count how many of those I have seen on one hand.

black92

Hot rod Lincoln
Established Member
All they need to do is give the SHO a power bump. Literally the only downside of a non v8 FI platform (vs a V8) is sound.

Bump the EB up to around 420 HP stock. The advantage being 99.99 percent of owners will never go beyond basic bolton's and a tune. Within those limits no V8 can remotely compete mod for mod. A starting 420 EB should make well over 500 on tune only and even more with exhaust etc.

I don't get wanting a RWD vs AWD. Given the choice I would pick AWD every time.

I'm curious to see how Lincolns new 3.0 V6 400hp EcoBoost will respond to a tune.

32ValveRom

Don't mess with Teksids
Established Member
I just think Lincoln needs help. I consider myself a pretty big Ford guy yet I prefer Lexus, Acura, Infiniti, BMW, Mercedes, Audi, etc...

Voltwings

Established Member
Its hard to say... the reason GM is able to come out with a badass platform for the Camaro to be on is because they can amortize the cost of that chassis over several cars in several product lines... the mustang is pretty much on its own chassis wise, with some of the new IRS being share with theeeee fusion i believe it was (i cant remember)? If they were going to develop a new RWD V8 platform, what would it share with? Where would the costs go? If they're going to develop anything, it needs to be something that shares a mustang platform so they can afford to dump money into that chassis, while simultaneously amortizing it over a few different vehicles.

SID297

OWNER/ADMIN
Administrator
Yes. I've been considering test driving a Chevy SS just because I like the idea of the car. I feel like need a hot shower now.

Users who are viewing this thread