Does the Company you work for invade your personal life?

R.D.P.

Extra Sprinkles
Established Member
This seems like a trend - at least for me and a few friends I've talked to. A few examples - it looks like I will soon be forced to create a linkedin profile whether I want one or not. I'm also now required to track my volunteer hours in the community. These are off hour activities, nothing associated with my employer at all. I also have to agree to an annual physical, including blood testing, or pay a dramatically higher rate for insurance, but at least with that one I have a "choice".

Anyone else dealing with this type of thing, specifically if you work for a Fortune 500 company?

shanezt

corn fed
Established Member
Back in the late 90's I worked at Rocky Mountain Arsenal in Colorado. it was a superfund clean up site, we had to pass a yearly physical to keep employment. Not sure that's an invasion of privacy though.

Keeping track of volunteer hours would be easy since I don't volunteer.

Kiohtee

Established Member
Seems like run of the mill requirements, minus the volunteer work.

EB85

Established Member
If my employer told me I had to put out info like that and create a Linkedin for them they would be looking to fill my position immediately. Work is work and my life is my life. The two do not mix.

WireEater

Dumpster Baby
Established Member
I'm not required to make a profile. But we are required to report if we have a LinkedIn profile that is audited when using it from a work PC but I work for a large bank and on the Wall Street side so they just want to make sure no inside trader information is going out, including client information, etc. It's the only social media that is actually accessible from a work PC. Aside from that, they don't ask for or know about any other accounts.

sleek98

Established Member
My old firm did. Had a standard Linkedin profile that we had to use. Made us create a list of everywhere we were going to volunteer for the year, and then we had to turn in the list at the end of the year showing what we completed. Was part of our bonus structure. Also had to list all of the personal improvement books/seminars/etc that we were going to complete and then we had to check in each quarter and let them know our progress.

Needless to say I am now at a new company and could not be happier.

thomas91169

# of bans = 5203
Established Member
Thats why im done with companies like that. My last one was starting to pander the idea of getting facebook stuff from everyone.

My current employer couldnt give two shits about social media or volunteer faggotry work. Were here to get shit done. We might start a FB page so our field guys can upload quick pics of our work being performed at jobsites but thats about it.

hunterp

Established Member
No particular rules about social media with the exception of making sure that people understand that I speak for myself and not my company. Also, the only place we're supposed to/allowed to list our place of employment is my LinkedIn profile (if you have one). No requirements to volunteer and report or weird crap like that.

black92

Hot rod Lincoln
Established Member
This seems like a trend - at least for me and a few friends I've talked to. A few examples - it looks like I will soon be forced to create a linkedin profile whether I want one or not. I'm also now required to track my volunteer hours in the community. These are off hour activities, nothing associated with my employer at all. I also have to agree to an annual physical, including blood testing, or pay a dramatically higher rate for insurance, but at least with that one I have a "choice".

Anyone else dealing with this type of thing, specifically if you work for a Fortune 500 company?

I personally think anyone in the corporate world should have a linkedin account. I've connected with previous people I've worked with and that has allowed me to get new jobs. As far as volunteer hrs, I don't volunteer so there's nothing I could fill out there. And with the physical, we are getting old and if I can go once a year to save money on my insurance and make sure all is in good working order, then my ass will be there. I actually just filled out a health form for my insurance that'll save me $480 next year.

To answer your question, I don't have to do any of the above, but I do the 1st and 3rd by choice because it benefits me.

SHOdown220

Established Member
Work is work and my life is my life. I don't share with them what I do when I'm off the clock nor do they ask. Only time they know what I'm doing away from work is when they rent out a lot beside the football stadium and bring out the entertainment trailer and huge grills for tailgate parties they throw for us on Sundays

Blackness03

Established Member
Work is work and my life is my life. I don't share with them what I do when I'm off the clock nor do they ask. Only time they know what I'm doing away from work is when they rent out a lot beside the football stadium and bring out the entertainment trailer and huge grills for tailgate parties they throw for us on Sundays

same here.

I also set up my facebook to where coworkers cant find me

Black2010

Established Member
Sounds like you work for the same company I do.

linkedin - I've got a profile but i don't actively manage it. It's a waste of time to me.

Volunteer hours - We are mandated to a min of 8 hours. Not a lot but still crappy that we are forced to do this and report it to them so that they can get a write off. I log well over 100 hours a year. I only log 8 for work so that I don't get hit on my performance review. The rest I do because I want to and it's none of their damn business why I'm doing it.

health - We have the same thing. Funny thing is that I have to be on a health plan to get my credit because I didn't pass. My BMI was to high. I'm 5 ft 9inch and weigh 155 pounds with a 32 inch waist (yes, I'm a small(er) guy). Could someone please tell me how i am OVER WEIGHT? I still play soccer (old mans league but still playing) 3 times a week. Failing my health test pissed me off more than them forcing me to take one.

hunterp

Established Member
health - We have the same thing. Funny thing is that I have to be on a health plan to get my credit because I didn't pass. My BMI was to high. I'm 5 ft 9inch and weigh 155 pounds with a 32 inch waist (yes, I'm a small(er) guy). Could someone please tell me how i am OVER WEIGHT? I still play soccer (old mans league but still playing) 3 times a week. Failing my health test pissed me off more than them forcing me to take one.

That's why I pass on the testing at my work. I doubt I'd pass even though I'm in good shape. They use BMI here too and since I'm a large framed person, if I weighed what BMI said I should, I'd be emaciated. Fortunately, it's not required and the discount I get isn't enough to make it worth bothering with.

hoamskilet

Established Member
Nope. I'd have a hard time dealing with that. About the only thing mandated is that we don't share inside company info and not take part in paid activities that are a conflict of interest

oldmodman

Established Member
It goes much deeper than your employer.

I was asked to donate the use of some video editing equipment to a non profit organization. But part of the donating process was that they wanted to check out my Facebook, Twitter, and other social media posts.

I made it real easy for them. I don't have any. They said that they could not accept my donation of services without a trail showing the "correct thinking". :lol:

I just told them "see ya!, I guess you will just have to find another fifteen thousand dollars and go pay for it".

Users who are viewing this thread