does the k.b. kit work

gunslinger

Established Member
KENZILLA said:
Maybe i can help....I have a KB at 15 psi using the KB flip chip (as of now, i am about to have a new chip tuned in order to make more power and also it does run rich on this tune from KB) When i put the KB on it made around 563hp on the KB tune for the 15 psi. I few months later i hit the dyno again and tried the 21 psi pulley with the kb chip on tune #2 and used race gas. The car ran lean at i think around 3500 to 4000rpm and we had to get out of it. At that point i had a tuner come in and burn a chip for me and tried it again. Well, it was close to the same results. It went lean at close to 5500 to 6000rpm, but not before it registered close to 670hp. We tried a few more runs and same result, LEAN. So we put the kb chip back in and stayed on the 15 psi set up. The conclusion is that to go over about 15 to 17 psi will need a custom chip tuned and probably larger injectors. I will probably go to 60# injectors myself. The other mods on the car at the time of this tune was a CAI, pro chamber, cat back, BAP, and gauges to monitor boost and fuel. Maybe this will help.
thanks great info if you dont mine me asking i a have a few more q,s. what octane did you run with that 15psi tune ont he kb chip. What size pulley is the 15psi.And what were your torque #s and at what rpm were the torque and hp peaks.lastly how does that beast feel and run on the street? i am just trying to justify getting this over pullying my eaton to run cooler charge and lower boost cause of the 91 octane and hot weather here in vegas with just as much and more hp.thank you greatly.

nugen

Established Member
Can't the backpressure from the stock exhaust actually hurt the engine at higher power levels?

Silver 03 Cobra

This is from a sheet provided with the info pack in a KB kit. These numbers are for a bonestock 03/04 Cobra and a 2.2L KB the only mod.

Boost/PSI RWHP
9 366
11 475
13 535
15 560
17 583
19 617
21 627

I think these numbers are probably a little high with the stock airbox and exhaust in place at higher boost levels. I run a full exhaust, CAI, 55# injectors and a MAF Extender and I made 614 rwhp STD at 15 psi. That would be about 595 rwhp SAE. Any 03/04 pushing that much air will need fuel upgrades. You could probably run 15 psi on the stock engine. But, if you go with a CAI and full exhaust then you'll need bigger fuel injectors and MAF upgrades. One other thing to think about is you can not change the fuel injectors on the passenger side without pulling the blower.

KENZILLA

Well ya, Its fast!
Established Member
gunslinger said:
thanks great info if you dont mine me asking i a have a few more q,s. what octane did you run with that 15psi tune ont he kb chip. What size pulley is the 15psi.And what were your torque #s and at what rpm were the torque and hp peaks.lastly how does that beast feel and run on the street? i am just trying to justify getting this over pullying my eaton to run cooler charge and lower boost cause of the 91 octane and hot weather here in vegas with just as much and more hp.thank you greatly.

I will have to find my dyno sheets and post those numbers later. But as far as gas, i ALLWAYS run Exxon/mobile gas ONLY! Super and i think its 92 octane. So it was 92 on the 15 psi kb chip. When i did try the 21 psi i ran the tank nearly dry and put in 5 gal of 100 octane race gas. No detonation on either set up. But like i said in earlier post, the 21 psi set up ran lean and we got off of it before it detonated. The size of the pulley i will have to check that also, i think it was the 2.75 with the stock lower. It made dead on 15 psi with that. (i will check this size later) Now i have a metco lower and i think it is the 8 psi ring and the pulley on the KB is 3.75, i think. I will double check all this. But with the latest pulley set up, i have seen 17 to 18 psi on my boost gauge. max rwhp was 563.4 around 6400rpm. Max torque was 498.9 and was around 3200 rpm. Cool thing is torque was over 450 ft lbs starting at about 2300 rpm and climbed to redline. As far as the way it runs....... :pepper: its like a scalded dog! Worst thing is the wheel hop on the IRS. It sucks and you have to be really careful not to break (just have to get out of it, is what i do) I do plan on a solid swap as soon as i can afford it, its a must with over 500hp. Also plan on a clutch up grade also. Mine has 12k total and 10 k of that has been with the KB on. My clutch is starting to go south quickly, i will up grade that real soon. Any way, i will check the pulley measurments and report back.

KENZILLA

Well ya, Its fast!
Established Member
Checked my current pulley size....3.75 upper and the lower is 9.25. I think that metco said the lower was the 8 lb ring. This combo makes 17 to 18 psi. Need a fresh tune to say what new HP is, but i am looking for that magic 600rwhp mark. Hope to tune in the next month or two. I could not find my box that has my other pullies in them, but i think when i had stock lower i had a 3" upper on the kb and it made a solid 15 psi of boost. That is the set up that is posted in my sig at the 563hp and 499 tq.

Users who are viewing this thread