does the military drug test for steroids?

03cobrah

Established Member
hey guys i have a feeling that one of my mentees is juicing.. he exhibits a lot of the side effects like acne, and gyno(i know this because we had pool pt the other day) and aggression.

my question is doesn't the military drug test for steroids?? i was told they do by several people and i was also told they don't... does any know the real answer??

yelostang

Established Member
hey guys i have a feeling that one of my mentees is juicing.. he exhibits a lot of the side effects like acne, and gyno(i know this because we had pool pt the other day) and aggression.

my question is doesn't the military drug test for steroids?? i was told they do by several people and i was also told they don't... does any know the real answer??

I'm not sure if the random drug tests test for steroids, but if he shows signs of use, and it's noticed, they will test him.

usmcrebel

Established Member
had many many users in my unit none was ever tested. the .mil isn't always inclined to spend the money for drug testing for roids...have to have a reason

myersusaf

Go Hawks!
Established Member
the normal "random" pee tests do not test for steroid use.

The DoD
program screens 100 percent of the submitted acceptable specimens for
marijuana, cocaine, and amphetamines (d-methamphetamine, d-amphetamine,
methylenedioxymethamphetamine (MDMA,“Ecstasy”),
methylenedioxyamphetamine (MDA), and methylenedioxyethylamphetamine
(MDEA)). Because of the significant threat from heroin in the Afghanistan
theater of operations, all the military laboratories were instructed to perform
100% screening for heroin starting in Fiscal Year 2005. Opiates (morphine,
codeine, oxycodone, oxymorphone ), and phencyclidine (PCP) are tested on a
“pulse” test basis defined as a rate of 20% of the laboratories work load.
Applicants at the Military Entrance Processing Stations (MEPS) are tested only
for use of marijuana, cocaine and amphetamines pursuant to policy memorandum
dated June 2006 (Appendix B).

Last edited:

DaveHutch

Bullets and Cars n stuff
Established Member
yes they do i know several people who were busted down for steroids

yes, as said before they CAN test, but they need reason. when you pee in a cup, that is for drugs, marijuana, cocaine etc.

those screenings are not processed for steroid use. However as stated before, if they have reason, and it is a PROBLEM, you can have a test ordered as a commander. The things is, unless there is an issue, they usually are not ordered because they are very expensive and usually turns into a legal issue.

It is obvious some guys use, and everybody knows it, however aggression, acne, uncontrolled mood swings are only side effects of some of the harsher compounds like anadrol, deca etc.
There are TONS of different compounds out there, i know guys take and it only makes you stronger, without some of the effects. some of these would be masteron, trenbolone etc. without the sterotypical "rage".

lets not forget, some dudes just naturally have a temper, have not grown up, and even the slightest supplement, even prohormone can give a guy gyno and mood swings. It doesnt have to be an "injectable steroid"

97desertCobra

Procharged!
Established Member
The standard test does not test for steroids. A soldier can be tested for steroids IF there is reasonable suspicion ie EVIDENCE that said soldier is using illegal steroids. The test for steroids is different than the standard uranalysis. My friend is the joint substance abuse coordinator for the entire state. He has been in his postion for a few years and has yet to test even one soldier for steroids. Legally it is not easy to pull off as there really has to be evidence of abuse to make a soldier test for roids.

OP if you find some empty syringes then that could be evidence but you can't go off temper and blemishes on the skin alone. It does sound like he could be using steroids but then again his body may just be cranking up the hormones naturally.

Socal Mach

300+ club
Established Member
Yep they do test if there is specific reason to do so, it is an expensive test that is only done at one testing facility if I remember right.

Matts00GT

Mongoloid Mike
Established Member
I'm not sure if the random drug tests test for steroids, but if he shows signs of use, and it's noticed, they will test him.

What he said. Testing for steroids is much more expensive and will only be used if suspicion arises.

That said, most commander's will never ask that their soldier's be tested for steroids even if there is a suspicion.

Marc

Established Member
A steriod test is not part of the random drug test. Normally you can't single out a individual for specific drug testing (like mentioned -- more legal issues).

A commander or first sgt can have a random dorm inspection, if he is living in the dorms. He probably has the stuff there.

SonicDTR

Wasn't me.
Established Member
Premium Member
Take him to the tree line! If he is too big, then have a group take him to the tree line :D

myersusaf

Go Hawks!
Established Member
Yep they do test if there is specific reason to do so, it is an expensive test that is only done at one testing facility if I remember right.

I believe so, i thought i heard that they test for steroid use @ UCLA or something like that. Similar to the tests for olympics and pro sports...

Last edited:

TrevorR90

Banned
I would be more concerned at why you were looking at his junk... Anyways you need proof that a person is taking steroids. And unless the steroids is become a problem and messing with unit readiness why bother? Most commanders do not care anyways.

03cobrah

Established Member
I would be more concerned at why you were looking at his junk... Anyways you need proof that a person is taking steroids. And unless the steroids is become a problem and messing with unit readiness why bother? Most commanders do not care anyways.

did you even read the thread? it's not hard to notice GYNO especially during pool pt when everyone's shirts are off.

Mach1USMC

SVT Powered
Established Member

This - currently the test doesn't screen for steroids. From talking to SACO's it's a pretty expensive test. So usually unless there is clear and convincing circumstantial evidence they don't even raise the flag.

Users who are viewing this thread