Dogs in Romania

Iamchris

Shakey Snake
Established Member
I am currently traveling in Romania for work and while the country is beautiful and there is a lot to do, I find my experience plagued by the constant reminder of how bad dogs are treated here. There were two puppies near my work that were on deaths death's door when I arrived. I ended up feeding them, and getting them some medicine. They have been doing much better and recovering.
Last week the area was supposed to be cleared of dogs, which means they were going to be sent to a city shelter that kills them. I had warmed up to the puppies so I tried to move them to a shelter, which required me to sponsor them. That got canned last minute by testing positive for parvo... So I had them sent for parvo treatment.
I am now trying to adopt them to send them home... But the problem is that the vet can't keep holding them, and they can't go to boarding yet. I'm not a resident and my hotel won't let me keep dogs in my room.
I am working with the SPCA now and they have assured me that they are working it. Either way, after all this time and effort it has been total hell and I really don't want to fail them.
You might say, why? There are so many strays... But it is these 2 in front of me that I am helping.
Just kind of venting... It has been a bumpy ride, I left out some details for brevity.
This country is hell on dogs. I was working with some folks from a local shelter and really seen some awful stories. There are so many strays here that you basically can't find help unless the dogs have been injured, tortured, set on fire. It is an ugly situation, especially if you have a heart for animals.

UPDATE: I just thought I would drop an update in here for anyone that may remember this story. The story kind of progressed down a long road, but I'll try to give you the highlights.
The dogs ended up staying at the veterinarian for quite a long time, I assumed all expenses myself, paying for treatment for parvovirus. It was shady for a while because I was constantly being told that the dogs couldn't stay there, but I had nowhere else to bring them.
Around July 27th, the story took another turn. I had gotten the SPCA to help me with the boys, and the vet also agreed to keep them until they could be transferred. They were scheduled to leave on August 15th, both had recovered from parvovirus and would be flown to the states by SPCA. July 27th they found out both dogs were now testing positive for distemper. They had been exposed while at the vet.
Unfortunately this started a long chapter. Distemper is even worse than parvo... fortunately the vet really stepped up and assured me they would see this through. They promised them care until they recovered, but I paid for additional medicine to ensure the best possible care. After recovery, distemper dogs have up to 120 days before they stop shedding the virus... I left Romania on September 9th for England. The last time I seen the dogs, Eddie was negative but Jim was still positive and showing some possible nervous symptoms... over the next month the symptoms progressed and by the middle of October he was euthanized, the virus was too severe and I didnt want him to suffer.
Eddie stayed after his brothers passing...
Yesterday I drove down to NYC and picked Eddie up. He is around 8 months old now, he doesnt understand any English, isn't house broken, and I have a road to rehab infront of me...
What can I say? He is a very sweet dog with a great disposition. Despite his mutty roots, he is actually pretty good looking. He doesnt seem to understand most things a dog of his age would. He was hesitant to enter the house, didnt really understand the steps, seems curious about every little thing, and really appreciates toys, time outside, and being free in the house. He has a lot of training to do, but I am experienced with dogs and I am up for the challenge. We integrated him with my dogs, which went very well, they are all laying together as I write this update. I gave my dogs a full update on their shots months ago, when I anticipated this happening.

I want to also plug SPCA!

They have a program called Baghdad pups, which allows them to help deployed military members with any pets they may befriend and be forced to leave behind when they come home. The program manager was absolutely amazing. She was with me the whole way, assuring me that the boys would be cared for, she intervened and worked with the veterinarian on my behalf to get the dogs continued care, and assumed a ton of cost to make this all possible, including care, movement, flights... it was an amazing endeavor that involved a bunch of amazing people. If you dont already, please consider donating to SPCA, they are really out there doing amazing things and putting the money where it is needed.

Last edited:

VegasMichael

Established Member
Millions of dogs are slaughtered in Asia each year for food. Point being, dogs are not deified or cared about in many countries like they are in the U.S. Sad for you to see that but glad you helped.

BRNG ITT

Established Member
I saw this in many of the European countries I traveled to. It’s unfortunate, but just seems to be the culture over there.

BrunotheBoxer

PUREBLOOD MASTERRACE
Established Member
Born and raised Brockton. Living in Naples.
After reading this thread I came to two conclusions.

The op is a great guy because he likes and helps dogs and that Romania and mostly all of Europe is a ****en poverty shithole with ****asses for citizens for treating dogs like this.

In case you didn’t know I love animals and especially dogs.

RDJ

ZERO shits given
Established Member
Good to know, I will never go myself. I would feel the same way as you do & would be going crazy trying to help them.
then don't travel outside the U.S. as a matter of fact don't leave your house. because there is a TON of animal abuse right outside your door, that you are oblivious of.

I saw this in many of the European countries I traveled to. It’s unfortunate, but just seems to be the culture over there.
it's not just europe, it is over the entire world. I don't think there is a country in the world that compares to the U.S. and their attitude towards animals. They eat dog in China, the philipines, and a lot of other asian countries. they have their culture we have ours. and whether it is correct or not depends on where you were raised.

I have two pups right now, woe to the clown that mistreats them, but I don't presume to insist others from other cultures follow my lead.

quad

Established Member
Good luck with the dogs! I hope it works out. It is admirable what you are doing! We love dogs and as someone else said they are sometimes more likeable than people. Of course there are asshole dogs also.

Sinister04L

RIP Kane
Established Member
The truth is people are shitty to animals everywhere. Dogs are generally better off in the US but there are a lot of people that treat them like crap, along with every other type of animal. Think cows are sacred in India? Think again. They are horribly mistreated there as well. People in general are just shitty.

DaleM

ATACMS changing the game!
Established Member
SVTP OG 4 Life
Never ever go to an Islamic country. Dogs are treated the same as rodents.

MassCobra

All set
Established Member
I am an animal lover and especially a dog lover and it breaks my heart when I hear stories like this. I hope you can save these dogs and all the work you have done pays off in the end. God bless you.
I saw the most disturbing videos of people killing dogs in China I can't even describe it. It disgusts me how dogs and animals are treated around the world. There are sick people in our own country that mistreat dogs but in general they are cherished members of the family. I know mine are.

mc01svt

100% full natty brah
Established Member
OP, welcome to real world. Regardless of the cultural indoctrination on "pets" in the USA, the fact remains to most of the globe dogs are just like any other animal and are treated as such. Lots of countries they exterminate them just like rodents and in southeast asia cats and dogs are mere food.

And believe it or not the whole concept of treating dogs like members of the family in this country is a relatively new thing. Just a generation ago dogs were worked under brutal conditions, used for target practice and generally torn to pieces fighting other dogs for entertainment and it was completely legal.

Just for the record, i like dogs but i dont dare try to fit the rest of the world in my own cultural/socio-economic box.

Rambro

Established Member
Man's best friend. When I come home from work my dogs are always amped up to see me, tails wagging so hard that they feel like bull whips when you catch one. Im a diehard Steelers fan but when we signed Michael Vick a couple years ago I was disgusted. It wouldn't have bothered me to see him get a career ending injury, even if he's in the black and gold.

black4vcobra

Established Member
Premium Member
Party Liquor Posse
Glad you got 1 of them back home with you. I bet that Eddie will reward you 100 times over for taking a chance on him.

Users who are viewing this thread