Dome light issue

jtkz13

Established Member
I have had to remove the bulbs from my dome light (in the mirror since its a convertible), as they would not turn off. I got around to looking into it and found that the switch on the inside of the latch mechanism of the door frequently goes bad. No big deal, replace it and be done, right? No such luck for me.

The new switch made no difference and I know the system works, as the passenger door dings when it is opened & closed. Is there a way to test if the pin is bad or there is short in the system somewhere? Its really annoying not having any interior lights at night. :/

hotcobra03

Established Member
I have had to remove the bulbs from my dome light (in the mirror since its a convertible), as they would not turn off. I got around to looking into it and found that the switch on the inside of the latch mechanism of the door frequently goes bad. No big deal, replace it and be done, right? No such luck for me.

The new switch made no difference and I know the system works, as the passenger door dings when it is opened & closed. Is there a way to test if the pin is bad or there is short in the system somewhere? Its really annoying not having any interior lights at night. :/
And your sure head lamp switch is also turned to right past on ?

Just a thought before diving into doors

Vinnie_B

"LIVE LIFE AT FULL THROTTLE"
Established Member
Premium Member
I advise you run a scan and check first for any GEM (Generic electronic module) Diagnostic Trouble Code DTC'S. They will start with a "B". This will rule out any issues with the interior lighting system's generic electronic module (GEM) controlled system.

This is how your lighting system works @jtkz13

The battery saver feature provides automatic shut-off of power to demand and courtesy lamp circuitry. When the generic electronic module (GEM) detects the ignition switch circuits are in the key OFF or removed ignition key positions, power will be disabled after individual time-out periods of 30 minutes for the demand lamps, and 10 minutes for the courtesy lamps. However, the time-out period for the courtesy lamps changes to 30 minutes when the GEM detects that the luggage compartment lid is ajar by means of the luggage compartment lid ajar circuit, or if the dome lamp is switched on by means of the dome lamp circuit. When the GEM detects that the ignition switch is in the RUN, ACC, or START positions, the battery saver feature is disabled.

The battery saver timer for the demand lamps is reset when the GEM detects that the ignition switch is in the OFF or key out positions or when the GEM detects any one of the following conditions:

• the driver or passenger door becomes ajar, as detected by the door ajar circuit
  • the luggage compartment lid becomes ajar, as detected by the luggage compartment lid ajar circuit
  • the dome lamp switch is activated, as detected by the dome lamp switch circuit
The battery saver timer for the courtesy lamps is reset when the GEM detects that the ignition switch is in the OFF or key out positions or when the GEM detects the driver or passenger door becomes ajar as detected by the door ajar circuit. For vehicles equipped with the remote keyless entry feature, any signal the GEM detects when a valid remote transmitter button is depressed will reset both the demand and courtesy lamp battery saver timers. This battery saver relay then restores power to both the demand and courtesy lamp circuits.

Base Courtesy and Extended Lighting

The base courtesy lighting feature provides interior lighting for the convenience of the vehicle's occupants. The courtesy lamps consist of the map/dome lamps for the coupe and the map lamps for the convertible. All lamps designated as courtesy lamps will be illuminated whenever the GEM detects that the driver or passenger doors become ajar, by means of the driver or passenger door ajar circuits. The courtesy lamps will also be illuminated when the GEM detects that the dome lamp switch has been activated, by means of the dome lamp switch circuit.

The extended courtesy lighting feature provides temporary extended illumination of the courtesy lamps after the customer has entered the vehicle. The courtesy lamps will remain illuminated for 25 seconds after the GEM detects that the driver and passenger doors are closed, as detected by the door ajar circuits. The extended courtesy lighting feature will be terminated after the 25 second time-out period, or if the GEM detects that the ignition switch has been moved from the OFF position to either the RUN, ACC, or START positions.

Lightning Fast⚡Electrical Automotive Repair LLC
PM Me or [email protected]
Remote or Local (On Site) Technical Repair

Last edited:

jtkz13

Established Member
Awesome info, thanks so much. The headlight dimmer is definitely not clicked on, I made sure of that.

Is the GEM read through the OBDII port, or somewhere else?

I am 90% confident that the system is reading the driver door as ajar because:

1. The door chime works on the passenger door and does not on the driver door.
2. I have replaced the sensor in the driver door with no change, and I even manually depressed the pin on the sensor, and never have heard the door open chime once.
3. The trunk light goes on & off as it should, turning off immediately when the trunklid is closed.
4. The light does NOT turn off in any ignition mode, it stay illuminated through all

I will let it sit for the next half hour and see if the courtesy lights turn off. It sounds like that if I lock the car with the remote and dont touch anything if the system is working correctly it should turn off the courtesy light after 30 minutes, correct?

Vinnie_B

Established Member
Premium Member
Awesome info, thanks so much. The headlight dimmer is definitely not clicked on, I made sure of that.

Is the GEM read through the OBDII port, or somewhere else?

I am 90% confident that the system is reading the driver door as ajar because:

1. The door chime works on the passenger door and does not on the driver door.
2. I have replaced the sensor in the driver door with no change, and I even manually depressed the pin on the sensor, and never have heard the door open chime once.
3. The trunk light goes on & off as it should, turning off immediately when the trunklid is closed.
4. The light does NOT turn off in any ignition mode, it stay illuminated through all

I will let it sit for the next half hour and see if the courtesy lights turn off. It sounds like that if I lock the car with the remote and dont touch anything if the system is working correctly it should turn off the courtesy light after 30 minutes, correct?
They should shut off sooner than 30 minutes. You definitely need to scan the car for any Gem DTC'S. Preferably w/ Forscan. You cannot scan the GEM Module unless you have something like Ford IDS. I dont believe you can do it with forscan. Yes its accessed thru OBDll port. I'm thinking you either have a damaged or corrupt firmware in the gem module or you have wiring issue (Short) to +battery. If its wiring issue a DTC should be set and if the Gem module is bad it will need to be replaced and programmed. But again.... everything needs to be tested to be ruled out and isolated.

badcobra

It's Fast
Established Member
This is very common on all New Edge's. Happens on my Cobra too. Turn the key to the on position, open the door, turn the dome light/headlight switch on/off, turn key back to off position and then you're good.

shurur

Established Member
Had this on my Ranger.
Shot of wd40 to the door latch fixed it.

Did all the other crap with the gem to no effect.

jtkz13

Established Member
They should shut off sooner than 30 minutes. You definitely need to scan the car for any Gem DTC'S. Preferably w/ Forscan. You cannot scan the GEM Module unless you have something like Ford IDS. I dont believe you can do it with forscan. Yes its accessed thru OBDll port. I'm thinking you either have a damaged or corrupt firmware in the gem module or you have wiring issue (Short) to +battery. If its wiring issue a DTC should be set and if the Gem module is bad it will need to be replaced and programmed. But again.... everything needs to be tested to be ruled out and isolated.

I've got a buddy with a badass Snap-On OBDII reader, would that maybe be able to see any GEM faults? Is it common that the ONLY issue with the GEM would be one door? All other functions work perfectly (remote fob, pass door, etc)

This is very common on all New Edge's. Happens on my Cobra too. Turn the key to the on position, open the door, turn the dome light/headlight switch on/off, turn key back to off position and then you're good.

I tried this a dozen times, no change or chime from the drivers door. :(

Had this on my Ranger.
Shot of wd40 to the door latch fixed it.

Did all the other crap with the gem to no effect.

Tried this too, hasnt made a difference. :/

Vinnie_B

Established Member
Premium Member
I've got a buddy with a badass Snap-On OBDII reader, would that maybe be able to see any GEM faults? Is it common that the ONLY issue with the GEM would be one door? All other functions work perfectly (remote fob, pass door, etc)

I tried this a dozen times, no change or chime from the drivers door. :(

Tried this too, hasnt made a difference. :/
Yup. Snap on will work @jtkz13 The GEM module may not be the Issue. It might be an an electrical wiring issue in a circuit thats affecting the GEM module form working properly. It could be anyone of these circuits.
  • the driver or passenger door becomes ajar, as detected by the door ajar circuit
  • the luggage compartment lid becomes ajar, as detected by the luggage compartment lid ajar circuit
  • the dome lamp switch is activated, as detected by the dome lamp switch circuit
Where are you located in MI?

Last edited:

jtkz13

Established Member
So just about an hour ago I went to close the top and roll up the windows AND THE DRIVER DOOR CHIMED WHEN I OPENED IT :oops:(y):love:

So something I did fixed the problem, either the WD40 in the latch or the reset sequence took awhile to work?

The dome light is turning on & off instantly, so hopefully it stays working.

hotcobra03

Established Member
So just about an hour ago I went to close the top and roll up the windows AND THE DRIVER DOOR CHIMED WHEN I OPENED IT :oops:(y):love:

So something I did fixed the problem, either the WD40 in the latch or the reset sequence took awhile to work?

The dome light is turning on & off instantly, so hopefully it stays working.
Cool.

My 03 was wd40 on drivers door only also.

Users who are viewing this thread