Don't rely on Carfax

Don't Care
Established Member
Malt Liquor Mafia
What's the VIN?

It very well could have been mis-dated. Facts are, if you have a B&W Hitch in it, and/or have lifted it, it would 100% qualify for 'structural damage' at an auction today. I don't see where the gripe is. Whether it was shown as being done 5 years ago, or 1 year ago, it's all the same.

How does that work? If you have a lift or a (I assume a b&w is a 5th wheel) hitch your vehicle gets branded?

Last edited:

1320goat

Established Member
The gripe is.. it wasn't on the report when I purchased the truck. It was tagged on after I purchased the truck. Are you telling me that you wouldn't have an issue with that if it happened to you?

1320goat

Established Member
How does work? If you have a lift or a (I assume a b&w is a 5th wheel) hitch your vehicle gets branded?
My title is clean. I made sure of that when the state sent the title to me.. It's not an r-title or salvage.

Don't Care
Established Member
Malt Liquor Mafia
The gripe is.. it wasn't on the report when I purchased the truck. It was tagged on after I purchased the truck. Are you telling me that you wouldn't have an issue with that if it happened to you?

I'd be pissed. Even though the title is clear I still wouldn't buy a vehicle with that on the carfax at any price. Hope it gets resolved for you

Last edited:

sleek98

Established Member
I had an issue once where the DMV person clicked "Not actual miles" vs "No Change of owner" when I refinanced my car. Took months to get carfax to remove it, they finally changed it from "branded title - not actual miles" to formerly reported not actual miles.

01yellercobra

AKA slo984now
Established Member
How does that work? If you have a lift or a (I assume a b&w is a 5th wheel) hitch your vehicle gets branded?

I'm wondering the same thing. Especially since I'm looking at 5th wheel hitches. What about the trucks that come with the 5th wheel brackets from the factory?

13COBRA

Resident Ford Dealer
Established Member
Premium Member
Single Barrel Sirs
Not a data entry.

Carfax is late to report.

Autocheck clearly states the structural damage on 3/13/2014 when it ran through a Canadian auction.

upload_2021-5-20_12-19-24.png

Junior00

Hurter Of Delicate Vaginas
Established Member
Premium Member
Not a data entry.

Autocheck clearly states the structural damage on 3/13/2014 when it ran through a Canadian auction.

View attachment 1704483

Technically, wouldn’t that be grounds for a buy back from Carfax? It was reported after all and they just dropped the ball.

1320goat

Established Member
Not a data entry.

View attachment 1704483
Interesting. Thanks for that. I wish it was more clear as to what this could mean. Because it also makes no mention of accidents. If you mangle a frame on a Super Duty, surely the truck would have been totaled. These frames are thick, it would take an insane crash cause that. So what gives? Possible it had a gooseneck or 5th wheel in and then removed?

Which brings me to my next question. Why is a 5th wheel or gooseneck considered structural damage?

Regardless of what non-sense was reported. My original point stands. Carfax is heavily relied upon. If they're this late reporting some things, you shouldn't put too much faith in their reports.

KilledbyKenne

Established Member
I feel your pain. I bought a 2014 Malibu from Hertz in 2015. (Say what you want about buying from Hertz but I shopped around and they had the best deal when considering trade-in value they offered for my old car so I went for it.)

It was the same exact situation. Bought with a clean carfax and in 2018 I tried to trade the car in at a different dealership on a Hellcat Charger and they looked at the carfax and saw structural damage so they offered me half of the normal trade-in value. I was livid. I got a copy of the report and same story, the accident was added retroactively. I took the info to the Hertz dealership and they agreed that it was a shitty deal and offered to give me a full trade-in value on anything they had on the lot, which is more than they had to do. They didn't have anything I wanted so I've just dealt with it for the last 3 years. I still own the car today.

Sorry for your experience. I have been there before. I still look at carfax for cars I'm buying, but I trust clean carfax reports a little less than I used to.

And I'll add one thing. I talked to a rep from carfax and apparently their definition of "structural damage" is really loose. It doesn't necessarily mean frame damage.

13COBRA

Resident Ford Dealer
Established Member
Premium Member
Single Barrel Sirs
Technically, wouldn’t that be grounds for a buy back from Carfax? It was reported after all and they just dropped the ball.

"Buyback protection only applies to state reported title brands. It doesn’t apply to accidents or other negative records reported by commercial data sources."

Interesting. Thanks for that. I wish it was more clear as to what this could mean. Because it also makes no mention of accidents. If you mangle a frame on a Super Duty, surely the truck would have been totaled. These frames are thick, it would take an insane crash cause that. So what gives? Possible it had a gooseneck or 5th wheel in and then removed?

Which brings me to my next question. Why is a 5th wheel or gooseneck considered structural damage?

Regardless of what non-sense was reported. My original point stands. Carfax is heavily relied upon. If they're this late reporting some things, you shouldn't put too much faith in their reports.

It could very well have been rust on the frame or such. Being a Canadian truck, that wouldn't shock me at all. There may or may not have been true structural damage.

A 5th wheel/gooseneck does tie into the frame, which does change the structural strength of the truck. All auctions report aftermarket 5th wheel/gooseneck as structural damage.

Carfax is only as good as the information they're given. From their site, "Nobody knows everything, but a CARFAX Vehicle History Report is a great place to start and should always be used along with a pre-purchase vehicle inspection and test drive."

1320goat

Established Member
No rust on the frame or anything like that. I don't purchase or own rusty vehicles. It had to be something weird like an installed gooseneck hitch.

Thank you for your help. I'm off to argue with Carfax

Don't Care
Established Member
Malt Liquor Mafia
@13COBRA Realistically how much does something like this affect the value? I know there are certain people like myself who would never consider buying a vehicle with that on the carfax and I know others who don't care as long as they can get it cheap enough.

13COBRA

Resident Ford Dealer
Established Member
Premium Member
Single Barrel Sirs
@13COBRA Realistically how much does something like this affect the value? I know there are certain people like myself who would never consider buying a vehicle with that on the carfax and I know others who don't care as long as they can get it cheap enough.

Not much. I might knock it $2,000 or so.

BlckBox04

I am the liquor
Established Member
Premium Member
I’m wondering if the fact that it was originally a Canadian truck imported to the US had something to do with the lack of accurate reporting from carfax

@13COBRA what if your truck comes from the factory with a fifth wheel? Would an auction also have a gripe with that?

13COBRA

Resident Ford Dealer
Established Member
Premium Member
Single Barrel Sirs
I’m wondering if the fact that it was originally a Canadian truck imported to the US had something to do with the lack of accurate reporting from carfax

@13COBRA what if your truck comes from the factory with a fifth wheel? Would an auction also have a gripe with that?

It doesn't, Autocheck shows that it was reported at a Canadian auction, and it was purchased by a Canadian dealer. Didn't come to the states until after.

That won't show as structural damage because it was made that way from the factory.

svtfocus2cobra

Opprimere, Velocitas, Violentia Operandi
Established Member
Someone may have posted this already but I don't have time to read the whole thread so I'm just going to say this: I worked in body repair for about 5 years and not once did we ever report to Carfax, and neither do any of the other shops I knew of either. It's a service that the shops have to pay for and customers will pay out of pocket just to keep their accidents from being reported by an insurance company, third party, or whatever. It's worth checking a Carfax to see if any accidents were by chance reported but I would say that the majority of repairs are never reported, and I mean that by a huge margin.

If you want to know if a car has been in an accident just take it over to a body shop and ask the estimator if they would be willing to look the car over and tell you if it has ever been wrecked. It will be much more accurate and likely free and they'll most likely be able to tell you what was repaired and how big the repair was.

Users who are viewing this thread