Don't understand this truck

SonicDTR

Wasn't me.
Established Member
Premium Member
Wow,

Some heat in this thread!!

The Raptor is an awesome truck, I think its cool that SVT went a different direction.

To all of you wanting a 3rd gen L, I think it would make sense to do a single cab short bed super-duty diesel. They can already run mid 12's with just a tune and exhaust...imagine if it was a purpose built performance truck?

GOTSVT?

This Is Absolution
Established Member
Its funny that someone complains about driving 1.5 hours to go offroading. I drive almost 2 hours to the drag strip.
Kudos to Ford for upping the ante!

Silver2003Cobra

US Navy (retired)
Established Member
The Raptor is nothing more than an F150 4x4 5.4 3V w/4.10 gears
and extra shocks.
Oh, and stickers!
I drove one and was not impressed.

and a complete suspension redo.. (you notice that the Raptor is quite abit wider than a regular F150)

where did you drive it, let me guess, on the road? Should have taken it where that extra suspension parts can do their stuff, off road at high speed..

Silver2003Cobra

US Navy (retired)
Established Member
Thats the fail. If you have to go a few hundred miles to possibly use this truck for its actual purpose than whats the point? I won't argue, its a good truck for something like the baja. But its incredibly difficult to find legal trails much less the terrain for that vehicle.

Been to MI btw, f@ck sand! Not my cup of tea at all lol.

hell, for me, the logging roads that start about 1/4 mile away from where I grew up would be perfect for some high speed runs in a Raptor..

BREMBO12

Established Member
I hate to say it, but I just don't get why Ford made this truck. I wish that they would have gone after building a next generation Lightning. To me, SVT and off-road just don't go together. I see that you cannot even get the 6.2L engine yet and the crappy 5.4 3V is the only engine at this time. The 6.2L is one heck of an engine... would be nice in a future Lightning!
I don't know about you guys, but I am just not a big fan of the 5.4 3V. I owned a 2005 King Ranch and put 15,000 painful miles on it before having to sell it off. That truck sucked and will never touch another F-150 until they get that 6.2L engine in there. I had a 99 Ford Expedition with the 5.4 2V and it ran circles around the 3V. The 3V had no torque and towing anything was a chore. I spoke with guys I knew at Ford and they said that they also had numerous complaints about having low torque and weird shifting quirks.
Sorry if I am offending people... just had to vent about the Raptor. I just don't see what people see in it.

Agreed! :lol1: The Raptor is sitting on the ebay lot. They are moving slow as molasses. Deep discounts coming aka Dodge Ram. Expect them to discontinue this model. I predicted the demise of the L years ago. Ford moved the SVT demographic up the scale obtainable to the thick wallet. The Raptor makes no sense in this economy at the price point introduced. I enjoyed my 2000 L immensely. Ford alienated many L owners. The expectation was a successor. Again, Ford moved the demo up to the high end Cobras. I am a traitor as I ended up with a 2009 Dodge Ram R/T. I have seen zero others in Dallas. While the truck is no L it moves with the 4:10 and OEM stall converter. Glad It is the USA where you buy want the hella you want. :D

Would I buy a Raptor? Yes.......for about 30-32K max......throw in the 6.2. :D FWIW......yahoo autos deleted my same thread...........yahoo censors! Post count reset to 1........???

Last edited:

ON D BIT

Finish First
Established Member
30-32k max? Is this not what the lightning sold for 8-10 years ago?:lol:
New stronger, safer chasis has no definition either does it?
More engineering was put into the Raptor than the lightning.
Hell even the oil from one shock is more expensive than the entire shock that came on the lighting.

None of these facts do not add any cost to the old lightning(f150) truck line?

steeltoe

Established Member
If Ford was to build another muscle truck it would have be on the Ranger platform (which ends after MY2011) or the on again off again F-100.

04SolidSnake

Canadian Snake
Established Member
Agreed! :lol1: The Raptor is sitting on the ebay lot. They are moving slow as molasses. Deep discounts coming aka Dodge Ram. Expect them to discontinue this model. I predicted the demise of the L years ago. Ford moved the SVT demographic up the scale obtainable to the thick wallet. The Raptor makes no sense in this economy at the price point introduced. I enjoyed my 2000 L immensely. Ford alienated many L owners. The expectation was a successor. Again, Ford moved the demo up to the high end Cobras. I am a traitor as I ended up with a 2009 Dodge Ram R/T. I have seen zero others in Dallas. While the truck is no L it moves with the 4:10 and OEM stall converter. Glad It is the USA where you buy want the hella you want. :D

Would I buy a Raptor? Yes.......for about 30-32K max......throw in the 6.2. :D FWIW......yahoo autos deleted my same thread...........yahoo censors! Post count reset to 1........???

obvious_troll.jpg

Oh well... Here goes..

Not moving hey? Tell that to the Canadian dealers.. They're moving very nicely. In northern climates the Raptor makes a ton more sense than another L.. I want to be able to have an SVT vehicle that I can drive year round. Having a big power RWD only truck is about as useful in the winter as my Cobra.

In a DD truck I could care less about the 6.2 over the 5.4.. I don't need massive power because I'm not towing huge boats around, and if I want to go fast I have two other gas pigs to beat on.

I wanted a truck that is a good all round vehicle, that can pull my quads around, and that I can do some fun offroading in without putting ride quality unfriendly lift kits on. I also wanted an SVT truck because I'm an SVT nut..

The Ram is definately a nice truck, our Sales VP at work drives one, and he loves it.. That Raptor just has more presence in person over the Ram..

Last edited:

SVTL Joe Joe

Banned
I like it, not really my choice of SVT.

I think its funny how your bitching that they're using a truck as a truck now instead of trying to make a full size truck a sports car.

The only disappointment is that its n/a but i bet it would still kick my iroc's ass all day.

OneBadZ06

Established Member
I guess thats why they came up with the phrase; different strokes for different folks.

Personally, I think the Raptor is the most aggressive-job function specific pick-up built. I applaud Ford for making such a niche vehicle in a bland market.

Personally, I think "Performance" Pick-ups are silly, not offroad trucks. If you want fast, buy a sports car. Sports cars do more than go in a straight line. Trucks will never handle like a car and their weight distribution is not even close to that of sports cars.

Take the Dodge SRT10 Pick-up. Viper engine in a pick-up. Completely useless. Not available in 4x4, so forget any winter usage. Certainly not a work truck, so what's the value? Very little since Dodge dropped it after only a few years. And how many Lightning guys are throwing a cord of wood in their bed??

Looking forward to owning a Raptor soon. :rockon:

BlackBolt9

Asphalt Donuts
Established Member
And how many Lightning guys are throwing a cord of wood in their bed??

Ummm, I've carried firewood in my Lightning and you'd be surprised just how many of them are used as tow vehicles. I used mine to tow my boat when I had it, plus moving stuff into mine and my brother's houses. There is at least 1 guy on this site who uses his Lightning as his landscaping business truck. I think you would be rather surprised at how many people who actually use their Lightning as a "real truck" and still take it to the track.

Besides that though, have fun with the Raptor when you get one. They are definitely an awesome vehicle! I wish I had the spare cash to get one to park next to my Lightning. Maybe I can pick up a used 5.4L in a couple years at a decent price!

RydeOn

SVTeam
Established Member
I skipped out on both gen lightnings because they didnt have 4x4 and wouldnt get my toys out to the dirt.

svtdriven

Established Member
I can really see where some people are coming from in this thread.

The raptor doesn't really appeal to some of the lightning enthusiasts, but they can always get a Roush truck. It's almost the same thing.

I do think it's cool though, I like that Ford is still making "specialty vehicles".

SVT being dead. I heard they were integrated back into Ford. It doesn't exist as a separate entity like it used to. I am interested in picking up the Coletti book though. I'd like to know what was really accomplished by SVT over Ford's "Mustang Team" group. Not that the mustang team is any less capable, weren't they the ones who put the FR500 concept together.

Not all of SVT's cars were hits though. Look at the Focus. Mostly appearance parts and off the shelf suspension from the Euro Focus. Where was the turbo?!

And Lastly, if sales seem mild, I would look more at the dealers who slap "adjusted market values" to the price tag. They are hurting Ford directly when they do this. I remember the Cobras, Focus, and Contours sitting on the lots with 3-15k mark-ups all summer, and then seeing them with sale tags months into the next model year.

steeltoe

Established Member
I can really see where some people are coming from in this thread.

The raptor doesn't really appeal to some of the lightning enthusiasts, but they can always get a Roush truck. It's almost the same thing.

I do think it's cool though, I like that Ford is still making "specialty vehicles".

SVT being dead. I heard they were integrated back into Ford. It doesn't exist as a separate entity like it used to. I am interested in picking up the Coletti book though. I'd like to know what was really accomplished by SVT over Ford's "Mustang Team" group. Not that the mustang team is any less capable, weren't they the ones who put the FR500 concept together.

Not all of SVT's cars were hits though. Look at the Focus. Mostly appearance parts and off the shelf suspension from the Euro Focus. Where was the turbo?!

And Lastly, if sales seem mild, I would look more at the dealers who slap "adjusted market values" to the price tag. They are hurting Ford directly when they do this. I remember the Cobras, Focus, and Contours sitting on the lots with 3-15k mark-ups all summer, and then seeing them with sale tags months into the next model year.

Ford only planned to sell 5000 Raptors total(5.4 and 6.2) They sold 5,500 5.4 before they even started taking orders on 6.2 trucks. Sales aren't a problem with this SVT.

jesse101

Established Member
To say its only a desert racer, you are mistaken, it does more then skip through sand.

If you notice the baha 1000 isnt just sand washes or sandy whoop sections...it has all sorts of obsticales, which is why its considered some of the more challenging courses to finish...none the less finish podium!

this truck has been selling like no other here in the state of Colorado, it does great out here. I have taken it out on more than one occasion in the past 4 months...offroad mode and hill decent is awesome!

you will not see this vehicle's talents till you go on dirt...wont see it as a mall crawler, or will you see its talents cruising at highway speeds, nor will you see it at your local dealer, take the damn thing ofroad! will you be able to see your SVT Cobra's talents on a mall parking lot? without getting a ticket? lol

watch the movie "Born in Baja" and you will see why this truck doesnt have a crap load of horse power, and you will see where they spent 90% of their time, dedicating it to the trucks suspension and its offroad components. this thing dwarfs your common F-150, and like what was said 1000 times....could you buy a normal F150 and get it to the same level? sure...but NOT for 40k, sorry.

Users who are viewing this thread