Don't understand this truck

04SolidSnake

Canadian Snake
Established Member
To say its only a desert racer, you are mistaken, it does more then skip through sand.

If you notice the baha 1000 isnt just sand washes or sandy whoop sections...it has all sorts of obsticales, which is why its considered some of the more challenging courses to finish...none the less finish podium!

this truck has been selling like no other here in the state of Colorado, it does great out here. I have taken it out on more than one occasion in the past 4 months...offroad mode and hill decent is awesome!

you will not see this vehicle's talents till you go on dirt...wont see it as a mall crawler, or will you see its talents cruising at highway speeds, nor will you see it at your local dealer, take the damn thing ofroad! will you be able to see your SVT Cobra's talents on a mall parking lot? without getting a ticket? lol

watch the movie "Born in Baja" and you will see why this truck doesnt have a crap load of horse power, and you will see where they spent 90% of their time, dedicating it to the trucks suspension and its offroad components. this thing dwarfs your common F-150, and like what was said 1000 times....could you buy a normal F150 and get it to the same level? sure...but NOT for 40k, sorry.
My thoughts exactly!! :beer:

Grant Theft Auto

I hit deer.
Established Member
I can really see where some people are coming from in this thread.

The raptor doesn't really appeal to some of the lightning enthusiasts, but they can always get a Roush truck. It's almost the same thing.

I do think it's cool though, I like that Ford is still making "specialty vehicles".

SVT being dead. I heard they were integrated back into Ford. It doesn't exist as a separate entity like it used to. I am interested in picking up the Coletti book though. I'd like to know what was really accomplished by SVT over Ford's "Mustang Team" group. Not that the mustang team is any less capable, weren't they the ones who put the FR500 concept together.

Not all of SVT's cars were hits though. Look at the Focus. Mostly appearance parts and off the shelf suspension from the Euro Focus. Where was the turbo?!

And Lastly, if sales seem mild, I would look more at the dealers who slap "adjusted market values" to the price tag. They are hurting Ford directly when they do this. I remember the Cobras, Focus, and Contours sitting on the lots with 3-15k mark-ups all summer, and then seeing them with sale tags months into the next model year.

a base focus doesnt have a 6spd or a DOHC motor. not that i like the svt focus but it was a lot different than any regualr pos foci.

only thing worse than the svt foci is the contour. what a pos

Grant Theft Auto

I hit deer.
Established Member
30-32k max? Is this not what the lightning sold for 8-10 years ago?:lol:
New stronger, safer chasis has no definition either does it?
More engineering was put into the Raptor than the lightning.
Hell even the oil from one shock is more expensive than the entire shock that came on the lighting.

None of these facts do not add any cost to the old lightning(f150) truck line?

an entire tank of gas for my truck cost more than the oil of all shocks in the raptor combined.....:rolling:

see what i did there :)

SVTStrikesBack

Last One Standing
Established Member
I understand where the op is coming from to an extent, but this is the explanation. (some of these points may have been made, but I don't have time to read 4 pages this second)

Making a large vehicle that already has some off road capabilities BETTER at thoses capabilities makes a lot more sense than trying to make a heavy vehicle with a high center of gravity accelereate and corner better.

All it takes is a quick glance through ebay and you'll see there is a much bigger market for an offroad beast than here is a lowered sport truck. I am not referrring to the number of Lightnings for sale, I am referring to the number of people that have spent who knows how much lifting 150's and 250's, let alone Rams and the C/K trucks.

Now, instead of relying on the aftermarket, Ford is providing a factory backed offroad racer than I am sure they are going to have no problem moving. The fact that they are choosing it to introduce their new V8 is just a master stroke in itself. Do you know how many people have been clammoring for the 6.2 since the 1st leak of it's possible existience?

Maybe there won't be an explosion in Baja type raCing because of this truck, but I can bet you that at least 75% of these trucks will have the gas mashed off pavement. Just the ability to go anywhere and do anything appeals to a LOT of people. The fact that they are adding some power to the equation is all the better.

emig5m

Hear it WHINE!
Established Member
I dunno....the Raptor doesn't even have the "look". Hell I'll admit the look/style of the Lightning was a major part of why I like it. The Lightning front fender badges make me sexually aroused when I see them. :rockon: :pepper: The Raptor looks like a overgrown brick with zero style? :shrug: (sorry if I offend any Raptor enthusiasts, it's just not my cup of tea at all) I think a GT500 will be my next ride....

SVTStrikesBack

Last One Standing
Established Member
I dunno....the Raptor doesn't even have the "look". Hell I'll admit the look/style of the Lightning was a major part of why I like it. The Lightning front fender badges make me sexually aroused when I see them. :rockon: :pepper: The Raptor looks like a overgrown brick with zero style? :shrug: (sorry if I offend any Raptor enthusiasts, it's just not my cup of tea at all) I think a GT500 will be my next ride....

It definitely has the look. Just not the look you are looking for.

Look at it this way. If you are dating a fat girl, it's probaly not because you think she looks good in a bikini. You assue that she can cook, keeps you pretty warm in the cold, and is nice and squishy. Why buy an overweight, top heavy, vehicle with brick-like aeodynamics with the intent of going fast in the realm of cars and bikes?

Don't get me wrong, I love the Lightning, but I can almost never justify owning one because it has no 4wd and only comes in two seat variety.

xilix

Too Stock
Established Member
Why is everyone saying you need 4WD/AWD for winter? I've driven my GT through four long New England winters, through INSANE snow storms. It's all in the tires. My first winter, I got stuck in once inch of snow. The next winter I got some good winter tires and I was rompin' around in a blizzard driving by people with FWD sedans, econoboxes and RWD trucks, all stuck in the snow because they have crappy tires.

Don't get me wrong, AWD/4WD is the best option in the winter, nothing comes close, but talking about not getting any winter use out of a vehicle because it's 2WD is absolutely ludicrous. With the right tires, any car can brave the winter months without getting stuck. I love driving my stang in the winter. Going from the wrong tires to the right ones, made driving in winter go from an absolute nightmare to something I look forward to.

ON D BIT

Finish First
Established Member
Why is everyone saying you need 4WD/AWD for winter? I've driven my GT through four long New England winters, through INSANE snow storms. It's all in the tires. My first winter, I got stuck in once inch of snow. The next winter I got some good winter tires and I was rompin' around in a blizzard driving by people with FWD sedans, econoboxes and RWD trucks, all stuck in the snow because they have crappy tires.

Don't get me wrong, AWD/4WD is the best option in the winter, nothing comes close, but talking about not getting any winter use out of a vehicle because it's 2WD is absolutely ludicrous. With the right tires, any car can brave the winter months without getting stuck. I love driving my stang in the winter. Going from the wrong tires to the right ones, made driving in winter go from an absolute nightmare to something I look forward to.

Have you ever driven a truck with no weight over the rear wheels in the wet, let alone freezing conditions? Unless you have studs tires will not matter.
Spinning the wheels in my old 100rwhp ranger was no problem in the wet. Now add to that a 350rwhp lightning driving damp conditions is no fun.

bakab1010

Established Member
for everyone who does not like the shape of the raptor, you have never seen a quality of froad truck, iv ridden in many different ls7 ls6....very fast sand rails with alot of travel, honestly in the shallow sand and just on hardpack the 6.2 raptor performs well enough to keep up with these 100k+ rails. the raptor is alot of work, which will show the second you go off road. ill post a vid of me doing like 75+through whoops. thats what the trucks meant for......the first time u ride with sum one who knows what they are doing you will prob pucker urself too...my friends do ha.

emig5m

Hear it WHINE!
Established Member
I have this for the off roading and whoop sections:

2007-KX450f-02b.jpg

:p

I personally wouldn't pay $30,000+ for a brand new vehicle just to bash it up off-roading, lol. I have hard time getting a $8000 motocross bike dirty, heh. ;-)

Last edited:

mobeydick

Established Member
I hate to say it, but I just don't get why Ford made this truck. I wish that they would have gone after building a next generation Lightning. To me, SVT and off-road just don't go together. I see that you cannot even get the 6.2L engine yet and the crappy 5.4 3V is the only engine at this time. The 6.2L is one heck of an engine... would be nice in a future Lightning!
I don't know about you guys, but I am just not a big fan of the 5.4 3V. I owned a 2005 King Ranch and put 15,000 painful miles on it before having to sell it off. That truck sucked and will never touch another F-150 until they get that 6.2L engine in there. I had a 99 Ford Expedition with the 5.4 2V and it ran circles around the 3V. The 3V had no torque and towing anything was a chore. I spoke with guys I knew at Ford and they said that they also had numerous complaints about having low torque and weird shifting quirks.
Sorry if I am offending people... just had to vent about the Raptor. I just don't see what people see in it.

I don't get it either, then again I have 3 Superduties, all long beds, all 4X4s and all Diesels. If I'm putting down the money the truck will have some usefulness to it. I just don’t see any use other then sand racing with this “Truck”. You can’t even haul the trash off with this “Truck”. It Might as well not have a bed on it at all. My girl likes it, then again women do like a lot of other completely useless shit.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread