Drag Radials

ImThatGuy

Huffing Ether
Established Member
I have to replace the rear tires on my S351, and was wondering what your thoughts are on Nitto 555 drag radial tires in 305/35/r18 on a 18x10 rim? I need some good rubber that hooks well, for mainly weekend leisure drives. The 16 yr old factory Pirellis have about had it, and 1 is dry rotted, not too mention almost $450 a tire. Thanks for any input!

IronSnake

Beers for the boys
Established Member
I just installed as set of 315/30/18 hoosiers drag radials. Pretty happy. Hook like crazy. Mines a weekend warrior too.

SVTCobra60

Established Member
I have to replace the rear tires on my S351, and was wondering what your thoughts are on Nitto 555 drag radial tires in 305/35/r18 on a 18x10 rim? I need some good rubber that hooks well, for mainly weekend leisure drives. The 16 yr old factory Pirellis have about had it, and 1 is dry rotted, not too mention almost $450 a tire. Thanks for any input!

I run a 315 555R on my 17x10.5 wheel and they work quite well.

SVTCobra60

Established Member
Dead hook in second. When warmed up well they will basically dead hook rolling in first as well. I've never launched the car so I can't speak for that!

ImThatGuy

Huffing Ether
Established Member
Dead hook in second. When warmed up well they will basically dead hook rolling in first as well. I've never launched the car so I can't speak for that!

This is what I was looking for, right now gears 1-3 are almost useless for me, even with hardly giving it some gas haha.

Joyrider564

Established Member
I have the 18in 315 NT05R on my cobra. First will spin but not terribly, second will hook and book. I also have coil overs on all 4 corners.

SVTCobra60

Established Member
This is what I was looking for, right now gears 1-3 are almost useless for me, even with hardly giving it some gas haha.

Wow, what kind of power are you making? I should mentioned I have some suspension/spring work done but regardless, I'm making a little over 400 to the wheels on a mustang dyno and it hooks quite well.

SVTCobra60

Established Member
If you can hook with that much power, I think Ill get those Nittos. Thanks!

Take into account he is talking about NT05 and I'm referring to 555R. If the price is much higher for NT05 I really don't think you need those tires unless your making a descent amount more power than me.

ImThatGuy

Huffing Ether
Established Member
Take into account he is talking about NT05 and I'm referring to 555R. If the price is much higher for NT05 I really don't think you need those tires unless your making a descent amount more power than me.

The car is all stock with a rated 495/470, and the tires are the original Pirelli's P Zeros, so they are kind of old and probably has something to do with it. Right now I can break the tires halfway through third, with 3.55 gears.

SVTCobra60

Established Member
The car is all stock with a rated 495/470, and the tires are the original Pirelli's P Zeros, so they are kind of old and probably has something to do with it. Right now I can break the tires halfway through third, with 3.55 gears.

Crank HP? So we should be very similar, I'm probably at 450-475 and 3250/3300 #'s. 3.73's.

After doing a little more looking I think the NT555R's might be better for what I use the car for. Thanks for all the input!!

Good choice, no problem.

RyanNGrindin

Established Member
Not sure if you have already made your purchase, but I second the choice of the NT05R. They are a great bang for your buck. A little spinning in first and then you're fine through the rest of the gears. Only downside is they are absolutely TERRIBLE in the rain. I have to take it super easy in the rain. Not only do they spin like crazy, but if you take a corner a bit fast you can feel the back end slipping out a bit. In dry conditions these tires are amazing though.

F8L BYT

Established Member
Mickey Thompson 305 35 18 here, car makes 467 and in the summer it dead hooks

Users who are viewing this thread